PDA

View Full Version : how to catch a fish

johnnydoe
03/09/2007, 05:09 PM
any ideas on how the catch a fish in a reef tank ???

xxseawolf
03/09/2007, 05:22 PM
what kind of fish?

johnnydoe
03/09/2007, 05:33 PM
flame angel i think hes picking on my clam but im not possitive the clams benn almost all closed for the past 2 weeks

shento256
03/09/2007, 05:42 PM
hows your water parameters??? and he might because they do nip my freind had the same problem ^_^ um how big is the flame angel? if hes not to big you could try the 2 liter soda bottle trick/idea what u do is take a 2 liter bottle cut it where the bottle starts to flatten out near the cap end than simply invert the new cut off peace in to the other end and make the pour whole the size of the fish. when you do this try to watch where the fish swims around at most fish do laps around the tank or have favorite spots try placeing the 2 liter bottle in the places where they are most active and you should be able to catch him or her., ohh and make sure that you are watching when trying to catch the fish most of the time the fish freak out when they notice that they are stuck and they can slip out of the whole they went through this has happened to me a few times so be on your tows and make sure you cover the whole and you should be able to catch the fish with ease.

johnnydoe
03/09/2007, 05:48 PM
i was just thinking maybe use that bottle idea and drill some holes in it and just put it over the clam and see if it opens , if it dose something is picking on it and if it doesnt maybe other problems , thanks !!!

xxseawolf
03/09/2007, 05:52 PM
i have my coral beauty twice and was able to get pick her up with my hands. this was before i added my t5 light system. i would manually turn my flouresent lights off at night and in the morning turn on the inside house lights on. in the morning(i get up at 5:00am) i was able to pick up the CB gently with 1 hand.

xxseawolf
03/09/2007, 05:54 PM
sorry for ALL my typing errors. lol

complexbooger
03/09/2007, 06:01 PM
honestly the last time i caught a fish I was tranfering over from a 75 to my 125. This was after a few drinks... i actually caught my Blue Damsel... twice... by hand. No lie. but after that he didnt trust me for a good month, and wouldnt come to the glass when i walked by. everythings ok now.

Good luck

=JonBlazes

xxseawolf
03/09/2007, 06:12 PM
lol-my last post was after a few drinks(as if you couldnt tell from the typing errors). but seriously that method worked. think the fish was asleep and when the lights came on it was kind of confused, or maybe i was lucky twice. anyways its beer:30 and i have some fish to watch(fun to do with a beer). good luck all

complexbooger
03/09/2007, 06:26 PM
HA I thought i was the only one that like to work on my tanks after a few drinks.

But i like my tanks more when
=JonBlazes

xxseawolf
03/09/2007, 06:38 PM
lmao-i feel like picasso with the skill i have when re-arranging my tank at 2:00am, then pass out on the floor of my masterpiece to wake up to the disaster(like the hotty you met the night before when drunk then wake up to-lol). j/k about the tank(not about the hotty the night before-lol)

mc-cro
03/09/2007, 07:48 PM
I just had to remove my hippo because he started nipping my clam after about 4yrs without a problem.

I drained the tank, reached in grabbed him, then filled the tank back up. took all of about 20mins. with minimal stress to the fish

wademcarthur
03/10/2007, 02:22 AM
I had a damsel I couldn't catch and it needed out of there. I woke up one morning to a blood bath!

I waited after the lights went out for a couple of hours. Then I got a flashlight and went to the tank with all of the lights off in the room. I put the beam on him and chased him out of the rock with the handle of the net. When he was out of the rock, he just froze and I scooped him up. I had tried during the day numerous times and couldn't get him, but it took about 20 seconds this way. Best trick I ever learned from the LFS.

Wade

xxseawolf
03/10/2007, 07:41 AM
yep i agree, catch them sleeping

fgcuboy
03/10/2007, 10:31 AM
I have always used hooks and bait. You can get a cheap rod and reel at walmart, and they have all the necesary tackle too!

johnnydoe
03/10/2007, 01:05 PM
ok i did the coke bottle thing and it opened right up , after it was open i think i found what bothering it a BLENNY yes a BLENNY as soon as i took the coke bottle off he attacked it . ok thats good news and bad news i found out why , good news , now i got to get the blenny out , bad news . thats going to be a tuff one .

i never heard of a blenny , i thought for sure it was the angel .

Ventralis321
03/10/2007, 01:18 PM
Catch them at night. I also wait after lights out. Two hours or three hours later. Turn the whole light system back on and your fish won't know whats going on. I've caught just about every type of fish with this method. I've had some pygmy angels swim confused right out into the open and they don't stuggle usually when you get them cause they don't really know whats going on.

johnnydoe
03/10/2007, 02:40 PM
tonight starts the fish hunt !!

Scottkelly911
03/10/2007, 10:28 PM
cue the jaws music :lol:

SDguy
03/10/2007, 11:05 PM
I used one of these:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_miscellaneous_fish_trap.asp?CartId=

Worked flawlessly. Actually, there wasn't a single fish that didn't enter the trap at one point or another. Much less stressful, IMHO, than trying to catch with a net. If you don't want to buy one, try burrowing one from a local reefer. That's what I did at first (though I ended up buying my own since it was such a handy thing to have).

nava405
03/11/2007, 01:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9447235#post9447235 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
I used one of these:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_miscellaneous_fish_trap.asp?CartId=

Worked flawlessly. Actually, there wasn't a single fish that didn't enter the trap at one point or another. Much less stressful, IMHO, than trying to catch with a net. If you don't want to buy one, try burrowing one from a local reefer. That's what I did at first (though I ended up buying my own since it was such a handy thing to have).

i can't really how it design to trap fishes just from the picture, do u have any other pics ?

SDguy
03/11/2007, 09:39 AM
Oh, sorry. It's just a clear cylinder. One end has a small screw on compartment that you can put food into. Holes facing only into the trap from this compartment make the smell of the food enter the trap. When I used it, I actually just put food directly in the trap, and the compartment. The other end is a guillotine door attached to fishing line. When the fish you want to catch finally enters the trap, just let the string go. The weighted door will close and trap the fish. It took less than 36 hours for my fish to be completely comfortable with eating inside the trap. Also, by changing the height at which you keep the door open (ie only half way up) you can exclude big boisterous fish from entering and eating all the food, like my tangs did.

HTH