PDA

View Full Version : Sun polyp help <pics>

Waxxiemann
03/09/2007, 07:25 PM
I got this orange sun polyp from my LFS. It is in dire straights but I thought that I could try and rescue it for the very small price he was asking. It looks like it used to have about 30 heads or so but only about 7-9 appear to be alive.

Any ideas how I can help this guy bounce back? I just put it in tonight so I am yet to see if any of the heads open up. I'm hoping they will though once the lights go out.

Does any one use boyds vitamins in conjunction with feeding or is this a bad idea? I was planing on using coral frenzee and cyclop tonight.

Any thoughgts or ideas will be appreciated.

:beer:
Waxx

Waxxiemann
03/09/2007, 07:35 PM
This is what I have to work with, sorry for the bad pics. Is this salvageable?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/Waxxiemann/sunpolypsmarch003.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/Waxxiemann/sunpolypsmarch002.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/Waxxiemann/sunpolypsmarch001.jpg

JokerGirl
03/09/2007, 07:35 PM
I feed mine 2 cubes of Mysis every other day. Since yours is probably on the way out due to starvation, it may take some time to even get it to feed. If your tank can handle it, try to feed every night for the next couple weeks.

Other than that, it's up to the coral.

Waxxiemann
03/09/2007, 10:32 PM
okey dokey, that's kinda what I figured, thanks.

DarthBaiter
03/09/2007, 10:54 PM
Doesn't look good. is the colors still flaking off? If it is, it's not a good sign. I hope it does make it.

Waxxiemann
03/09/2007, 11:03 PM
I tried to feed them and it kinda looked like some food got in there but by no means did they extend out to grab it. I got it for $10 canadian so if it dies it won't be any great loss but I'd like to see if I can get it to bounce back. I'll keep on trying tomorrow.

I gave it marine algae, reef roids and coral frenzee tonight. Maybe I'll try some brine and cyclop tomorrow.

WaXX

AaronKelly
03/09/2007, 11:06 PM
i have a sun coral who is also recovering... instead of leaving it in the tank and trying to feed it get a small bowl that the sun coral takes up most of fill it with water from your tank and put the mysis in there and let it all fall directly on him... leave him there for a good 15 20 minutes and after put him back in the tank... anything not stuck to him you could just add to your tank for your fish... seems to be working for me

boxfishpooalot
03/09/2007, 11:26 PM
Try and funnel feed it. Do this: Get a 2 liter of coke and cut off the top of it. Put it over top of the sun coral with the top of the bottle up.Use that to slow the flow and drop mysis shrimps down the hole in the top. Doing it at night would be good too.

kimm
03/09/2007, 11:38 PM
Taking the sun coral out worked for me, beautifully I might add. very healthy coral now.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/133031new_clam___fish_003.jpg

Waxxiemann
03/10/2007, 11:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9440980#post9440980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boxfishpooalot
Try and funnel feed it. Do this: Get a 2 liter of coke and cut off the top of it. Put it over top of the sun coral with the top of the bottle up.Use that to slow the flow and drop mysis shrimps down the hole in the top. Doing it at night would be good too.

I used epoxy to glue it in place to tking it out isn't really an option. I did the funnel plan like you suggested boxfishpooalot. This is what I'll keep trying. I'll update you guys if there are any developments.

Thanks for all the help!

Waxxiemann
03/10/2007, 01:03 PM
OK, I pried it off the rock and I'll try out the cup method, does it matter weather I try it at night or during the day when I do it this way?

JokerGirl
03/10/2007, 01:13 PM
At night is probably best for right now. Eventually you can train it to come out in the day though, but it's not a fast process.

Waxxiemann
03/16/2007, 07:14 AM
Quick update.

I've been feeding the coral in a seperarte container every day just after the halides go out and only the t5's are on.

I heven't gotten it to open up yet although the cups are getting noticably fatter and look healthier every day. They don't take large peices of mysis yet but I am confident that they will soon.

They've been getting a diet of cyclop and coral frenzee as well as brine.

I have high hopes of a full recovery. Thanks to everyone for all the help! I'll keep you posted.

Waxx

davidryder
03/16/2007, 07:51 AM
Yes!!! Sun coral is beautiful...