PDA

View Full Version : Confused

new2scene
03/09/2007, 10:29 PM
I have just read on this forum that having a cannister filter isn't good for a reef tank. I have an Aqua Clear 30/60 biofilter that came with the aquarium that I am currently running with the cannister filter with the filter, carbon and the gravel (3 trays) I am presently in my second week of cyclying and plan to start out with a couple of fish and then add some soft corals some hardy ones I plan on buying a skimmer next week. I also have the compact 10,000K. Is this okay or what do I need to do?

drummereef
03/09/2007, 10:43 PM
Canisters can be ok if you keep up on your maintenance. They are know to get dirty quite fast and will contribute to nitrate problems. If you have at least 1lb/gallon of live rock you don't need the bio filtration in the canister. You should also ditch the mechanical filtration in there too. This is what usually leads to high nitrates. Just run some carbon occationally in the canister and use it for extra flow. The skimmer would be a very good investment.

Read here -
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074

new2scene
03/09/2007, 11:00 PM
so you mean take off the Aqua Clear mechanical filter keep the bio filter in it or take everything out of it and just keep the water flow and the cannister take the trays out with the blue sponge filter and the gravel and keep the carbon for occassional use like once a month and run for how long? I can keep the cannister running for water flow also. Sorry for sounding so stupid.