PDA

View Full Version : what about this skimmer?

maddmatt02
03/10/2007, 01:46 AM
in an article I read it stated water having longest time possible contact with air was best because some protiens take a long time to fully "attatch" to air bubbles, and seeing as I want this under my tank inside my sump, I cant really make it very tall like the article reccomended, but this seems liike it would in a way be like a skimmer equivalent to 2x the height, although the water loses contact with the air til it gets to the next chamber so maybe its just like having 2 skimmers and nothing like one thats twice the height. either way the water will be more thoroughly skimmed than in one 24" tall skimmer. there will be a simple hang-on siphon overflow on the tank and it will have one large line going to the trickle filter in the sump and a smaller line with a valve to control the fill speed of the skimmer. air stones are gonna be DIY basswood stones. 3" PVC most likely but maybe 4"

its only gonna be a 20G tank with 10G sump. I will get a larger tank definately later on, probably gonna make a plywood tank with front/side windows. but Id rather learn on something small, that way I can not have as much in there to possibly kill as well as ive read its tougher to keep less water balanced so if I kan keep 30G clean and balanced than I should be able to keep a larger quantity clean/balanced...