PDA

View Full Version : anchor worms in saltwater?

ctreefer
03/10/2007, 08:07 AM
I bought some fish this past week from a local wholesaler. I tried to get a good look of the fish before bagging, but the space was cramped and I was in a hurry. As a result, one of my fish (squareback anthias) ended up coming home with something attached to it that looks like an anchorworm. From all I can find online it only seems they're in fresh water. I pulled it off this morning and this is what it looks like:

Any thoughts? It is about 1.5 inches from end to end. The fish is in quarantine with some other anthias. Should I also treat with copper or anything else? I did a fresh water dip before I put them from the bags to quarantine, but it was only about 5 minutes because one of the anthias looked like it wasn't going to make it. Now I'm guessing this is the one.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/14477anchorworm.JPG

ctreefer
03/27/2007, 09:23 PM
Well, 17 days have passed and I'm treating with hypo for an ich outbreak in same quarantine tank (29 gallon with 3 small anthias and one small potters angel) Today I notice a slight bulge behind the scales of my potters with a little white thing protruding. Possibly another one of these parasites. Can someone give me some input as to a good treatment to wipe these things out?

thanks

TerryB
03/28/2007, 01:10 AM
It does look like a parasitic copepod. Some species are called anchorworms. They usually are not a problem in aquarium fish. The females generally bury their heads into the tissues of the fish. Most are not life threatening unless its a large parasite on a small fish. The best treatment is to use is an organophosphate (such as dylox) in quarantine. Be aware of potential bacterial infetion in the wound caused by the parasite.

Terry B

ctreefer
03/28/2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks Terry,

Where can I get products that contain organophosphates like Dylox or one other I've found is Trichlorfon?

thanks