PDA

View Full Version : AquaC CLUB!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

JohnL
03/10/2007, 08:52 AM
This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=9442697#post9442697

bureau13
03/10/2007, 08:52 AM
Hours is one thing..days? Yeah, that's not normal. There was a recommended Iwaki pump for the EV-240...how does it compare to the GenX? If the GenX is morepowerful then maybe that's the problem, you should be able to find flow graphs on the web to compare.

jds

PVsPlayHouse
03/10/2007, 10:37 AM
Rating on pump. GenX PCX 40
Maximum flow-1190GPH/[email protected]'
Pressure rated for a maximum lift of 22ft.

CaptainCoral
03/10/2007, 03:14 PM
tristanbloor.....

It sounds like you are getting too much turbulance in the foam tower. I would add a gate valve to the pump feed line and turn it back until the water line is at the top of the box or just under with the air choked back some. It wasn't nessesary when mine was hooked up with the mag 9 probably because I had a 2ft. feed hose.

nightOwl
03/11/2007, 10:49 PM
Hey,
Sorry I am late on this I went out town this weekend. I just wanted to thank you all especially CapnKick, CaptainCoral, and Tennsquire. My AquaC 180 is now skimming like there is no tomorrow. The adjustments made have my bubbles looking like the pictures from this thread and I and my fish thank you all.

Thanks again,

Henry

PVsPlayHouse
03/12/2007, 11:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9444740#post9444740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaptainCoral
tristanbloor.....

It sounds like you are getting too much turbulance in the foam tower. I would add a gate valve to the pump feed line and turn it back until the water line is at the top of the box or just under with the air choked back some. It wasn't nessesary when mine was hooked up with the mag 9 probably because I had a 2ft. feed hose.

When the pump is on full the water level is at the top of the box. So I dont understand why there would be to much turbulance in there. Would a larger Tower fix the problem? Say 2" or 3"?
Thanks.
PV

chris4869
03/12/2007, 12:29 PM
PVsPlayHouse,
Can you tell us the size of your bubbles in your foam tower? The best way for me to tune mine is by watching the size of the bubbles created in the lower portion of the foam tower.

Most of the bubbles in the lower portion of my foam tower are really small (1-3 mm) while the top are just a little bigger.

Check out CaptainCoral's bubble link (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=594995&perpage=25&pagenumber=14)

wasupdavey
03/14/2007, 10:05 PM
Hello everyone I'm new to fish keeping. I got an AquaC Remora running with Maxi-Jet 1200 in my 29 gallon tank right now. I had it running for about 3 days now and just added some live rock. I've noticed it hasn't really been foaming much. All the foam stays on the bottom it never really rises all the way up the tower into the collection cup. Is there a defect in my Skimmer? I was wondering if this is normal because I'm getting a little worried :(

Heres a pic of wat it looks like

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4738/p1010004lp2.png (http://imageshack.us)

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9780/p1010005mb6.png (http://imageshack.us)

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2460/p1010007ml5.png (http://imageshack.us)

Thanks please reply :)

Tennsquire
03/14/2007, 11:36 PM
Be patient. New skimmers have to be broken in and the materials used in their construction have to be washed out. Even after you clean an older skimmer, it takes a while for the foam to start building up again.

mario8402
03/15/2007, 01:44 PM
I'm having the same issues as you wasupdavey.
Mine is about 3 weeks old now and I am getting some foam up to the cup, but not much else in the cup.. usually the bubbles come right up to the top of the cup chamber and when I open the lid they go back down.The collection cup chamber gets full of green gunk and some crap on the upper part of it, but thats about it.. I have the cup all the way down at the moment hoping the foam will rise up.. . I am a total noob so I dont even know whats going on lol
I am also running this on a 29gal.. the microbubbles are killin me!

ill try to post some pics later tonight of the same angle that you took to compare.. do we need to mess with that white screw at all??

CapnKick
03/15/2007, 01:48 PM
You guys can also contact AquaC directly for their input and suggestions. Their customer service is quite good.

TwentyTwenty
03/15/2007, 03:41 PM
Hi, Mario and Dave. I have the remora with the 1200 on it also. I have had it for a year and at best all you will ever get is lite green tea. It went from on the tank to the sump, with the same results. I have cleaned it and played with it for sometime now and I think thats the best it is going to get. It skims a little and then nothing at all for the last 3 days. So, this is an up to date report on it. Good luck with yours and if you have any hints for better skim mate please let me know. Mike.

wasupdavey
03/15/2007, 09:46 PM
I'll try calling customer service this weekend on the issue about my skimmer. I heard the AquaC Remora was suppose to be a really good skimmer. We'll see how it goes in a couple more days.

mario8402
03/16/2007, 06:01 AM
Here are some pics I took last night. MY skimmer is about 3 weeks old and I only have 1 fish

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/mario8402/aquac%203-16-07/CIMG2298.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/mario8402/aquac%203-16-07/CIMG2299.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/mario8402/aquac%203-16-07/CIMG2300.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/mario8402/aquac%203-16-07/CIMG2302.jpg

I cleaned the cup out Sunday. I have never gotten any better foam up there or skimmate(sp)

JOSEPHLB
03/16/2007, 06:39 AM
damn.. looks like I may have wasted $200+ on my Remora Pro that is sitting on standby while I get all the stuff together for my 65g.

I may just go ahead with another option and sell the Remora to some sucker on eBay :)

mario8402
03/16/2007, 07:09 AM
Remora supposedly the best one out there.. maybe my tank sucks or it is still too new :? Like I said.. take my info lightly. I am a noob :)

wasupdavey
03/16/2007, 10:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that looks fine. Maybe the tank is really clean and just has nothing to skim lol. Mine is still looking the same this is the 5th day. No foam ever goes to the top. I'm going to stop playing with it now and let it sit for awhile. Some picture I saw from the remora had so much gunk in it. It probably just needs some time. The phone line for the customer service has been down I'll reach them somewhere in this weekend about what to do.

steve the plumb
03/17/2007, 08:46 AM
I had a remora pro on my 150 with a mag 3 pump it never skimmed more than a green tea colour.They aren't the best skimmer.I have read people having better results with a mag 5 pump.I sold my remora but I should have used the mag 5 on it.It also depends on bioload if you have very little don't expect the skimmer to go nuts.A stronger pump will get you more bubbles.I wouldn't go anything less than a mag 5 for the remora pro.You should get better results with a larger pump.Don't forget what makes this skimmer work is there spray nozzle so the more water the more bubbles.

wasupdavey
03/18/2007, 10:25 AM
My AquaC Remora is finally making its way up the tower. Its at the peak right now. I'm so glad its working. =D

mario8402
03/18/2007, 10:54 AM
is yours putting as many microbubbles in the tank as mine is?? i thought it would stop, but it hasnt in 3 weeks :(

wasupdavey
03/18/2007, 11:36 AM
Theres bubbles going back in my tank. But its normal because water hitting the surface of another water surface creates bubbles. Looking into my skimmer theres barly any microbubbles. So my skimmer is doing just fine, heres a pic of what mine looks like ;)

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3592/p101az2.png (http://imageshack.us)

mario8402
03/19/2007, 01:44 PM
my water level is up high enough where the little spout is actually in the water and i still have those bubbles. will post a pic tonight

Waxxiemann
03/19/2007, 06:11 PM
Just wanted to mention that I got my 1" injector for my EV240 today. Skimmate production has increased about 200%! I had to back off the water level and cut the air intake by about half.

I think the huge increase may have somthing to do with the new hose and injector. Any experiences anyone can share? The pump is a mag 18, tank is medium load.

Cheers,
Waxx

CaptainCoral
03/20/2007, 02:52 AM
Does that mag18 have a 1" outlet? Those large mag pumps must push better pressure through a 1" hose and Injector. I believe others have had similar results. Kudos! :)

bureau13
03/20/2007, 05:54 AM
Hmmm, actually the Mag 18 has 3/4" in and out. Has anyone else has significantly better production with this setup? I'm using an EV-240 w/ Mag18, so if the results are usual then I'm up for trying it...I'm not sure why AquaC wouldn't do it that way though...

jds

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9520388#post9520388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaptainCoral
Does that mag18 have a 1" outlet? Those large mag pumps must push better pressure through a 1" hose and Injector. I believe others have had similar results. Kudos! :)

Waxxiemann
03/20/2007, 09:28 AM
Actually it's not AquaC's fault. Mag pumps are made to run on 1" hose, so you are actually restricting it @ 3/4" line. That's probably why they went with the 3/4" injector.

Anyway, my skimmer is working like a friggen monster now that I made this change. I have WAY more control over weather I want wet or dry skimming. I can now skim 5 gallons of super light skimmage or get the nice dark dry stuff. I am still playing with it so we'll see what happens when it settles in more.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best $10 I have spent in this hobby so far. It's nice when somthing cheap actually makes a difference.

Waxxiemann
03/20/2007, 09:30 AM
bureau13- you should totally do this, you'll love it. 10 bucks man, if you don't like it, change back.

bureau13
03/21/2007, 12:44 AM
I think I will order one tomorrow! The only thing...what did you mean that the Mag 18 is made to run on 1"...I swear mine have 3/4" ins and outs, and the MD web site description agrees with this. I will actually need to convert up to connect to 1" hose. Unless I'm just looking at something way wrong.

jds

Waxxiemann
03/21/2007, 08:35 AM
that's right, mine has 3/4" ins and outs as well. You just get a threaded step up and use a 1" barbed fitting on ttop of that and you're off to the races.

I skipped the ball valve (again) in the 1" setup. I don't really think it's needed.

The Saltwater Kid
03/21/2007, 10:56 AM
Would this mod work for the Remora (standard model)?

Waxxiemann
03/21/2007, 11:36 AM
I have no experience with them so I'm not sure, sorry. E-mail Steve Prince at AquaC and see whatsup for the remora. That's my advice.

nightOwl
03/21/2007, 11:41 AM
A few weeks back (03/09/2007 01:16 PM) I made some changes based on suggestions I received to make my AquaC 180 skim better. A many thanks to CapnKick, CaptainCoral, and Tennsquire by the way. Now it is skimming like a champ, but I notice the collection cup gets nasty in two or three days where as before it would take longer, about a week, since it was not working correctly. With that being said I was wondering how often are people cleaning the collection cups and the neck of the skimmer? In the past, since my water level was, high the collection cup was the only thing I needed to clean. My skimmer seems to get this nasty dark tan, looks almost like mud, which from the pictures posted I think is good. I can take pictures if needed and post those tonight if that will help. I think I am skimming wet also, but I am fine with that. I am running a Mag 9.5 if that helps. Oh I also added a tube to the collection cup as well to drain down into a container. Before I could go a week or more before it got that high.

Thanks,

Henry

Waxxiemann
03/21/2007, 12:21 PM
I clean my cup daily and the neck about once every 3 days if it needs it.

CaptainCoral
03/21/2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah, that mud used to fascinate me when I finally found a non-airstone skimmer that could make copious quantities. I used to run my finger around the rim of the cup riser just to stare at the solid mass of skim attached to my finger. Ahhhh, but the joy has gone and now it feels like tank maintenance again. :) (btw, I now use brushes from aquatic eco systems to clean the cups to keep that vile mess as far away from my hands as possible) I use old socks/rags for wiping out the foam tower.

I think AquaC recommends cleaning the cup and tower every three days. I do that unless I'm really busy or lazy and sometimes go 7 days. I clean the other parts about 1 or 2 times a month, and I brush clean the pump feed hose about quarterly.

If I were really on top of things, I would clean it daily or every other day, but I doubt I could keep it up for long.

nightOwl
03/21/2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks Waxxiemann and CaptainCoral,
I am in that fasination phase of knowning that my skimmer is actually working now. I guess if you don't know any better you don't know. In the last few weeks my skimmer has skimmed more than it did since last Nov. That's just crazy to me to see what is capturing in two days to what it use to take like a week or so to make. Water quality should be getting much clearer and cleaner. I have to modify it to have the turn down drain to keep the bubbles from going back in the tank this weekend. But I am so happy. I think I will see if I have some old rags around to do the daily thing until it starts to feel like tank maintence...lol. I have a brush set already :) I have had that since my Turbo Floator 1000 that sludge is not cool...lol.

Thanks,

Henry

wasupdavey
03/21/2007, 08:01 PM
On a regular AquaC Remora would it be possible to put a Mag3 Drive on it? Does this increase the bubbles produced and help the foam action?

jmkins
03/21/2007, 10:52 PM
With my standard remora w/ mj1200 I noticed a huge increase in skimming when I upped the tank turnover (no suprise).

I also loosened the screw on the injector so it was just a thread or so in. I'm getting this type of somewhat dark skimmate in 3 or 4 days (check gallery)

drummereef
03/21/2007, 10:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9537846#post9537846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmkins
With my standard remora w/ mj1200 I noticed a huge increase in skimming when I upped the tank turnover (no suprise).

I also loosened the screw on the injector so it was just a thread or so in. I'm getting this type of somewhat dark skimmate in 3 or 4 days (check gallery)

Do you think the screw made that much of a difference? Or do you thinks it's a combination of flow and bio-load?

gcarroll
03/22/2007, 12:09 AM
Glad to see that you guys like the 1" injector mod. I'm thinking of calling them to have them rename it as the "gcarroll injector" That just has a nice ring to it.

jmkins
03/22/2007, 01:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9537868#post9537868 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
Do you think the screw made that much of a difference? Or do you thinks it's a combination of flow and bio-load?

I loosened the screw a couple of days before I upped the flow and noticed a difference.

My bio-load has been the same before I did that or upped the flow. Before I upped the flow I had a protein film on the surface of my water that never reached the skimmer. Now I got rid of that and can see the detritus that gathered on my rocks being suspended. From my experience and what people blame HOT skimmers for (performance or non - perfomance) in tank flow and breaking up surface build up is the difference in collection. If turnover is high enough then detritus, or everyday organic waste, will get pulled into the skimmer.

CaptainCoral
03/22/2007, 04:46 PM
Glad to see that you guys like the 1" injector mod. I'm thinking of calling them to have them rename it as the "gcarroll injector" That just has a nice ring to it.

:lmao:

wasupdavey
03/22/2007, 08:26 PM
So a mag 3 wouldn't make a difference for the aquac remora?

bureau13
03/22/2007, 11:01 PM
I've got my gcarroll injector on the way. The guy at AquaC indicated they may be supplying them that way from the factory in the future.

jds

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9544263#post9544263 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaptainCoral
:lmao:

tatoofr
03/23/2007, 08:27 AM
Does the 1 inch injector only apply for the ev240?
Can I use it on my EV120?
Thanks,
Frank

Waxxiemann
03/23/2007, 08:56 AM
I don't see why not. For $10, I'd give it a whirl.

tatoofr
03/23/2007, 09:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9549573#post9549573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Waxxiemann
I don't see why not. For $10, I'd give it a whirl.

What exactly is it?
I spoke to aqua c last week about different injectors and they never mentioned anything about a different injector.

Waxxiemann
03/23/2007, 09:12 AM
It's an injector that is 1" instead of the stock 3/4" that is provided with the skimmer. It's so you can run 1" hose.

tatoofr
03/23/2007, 09:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9549720#post9549720 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Waxxiemann
It's an injector that is 1" instead of the stock 3/4" that is provided with the skimmer. It's so you can run 1" hose.
Thanks,
Very interesting. So it still fits into the 3/4 fitting but the hose barb is one inch. Is the clear plastic injector bigger also or the same size as the 3/4 one.

Waxxiemann
03/23/2007, 09:18 AM
I'll have to have a look. I can't remember to be honest. I THINK it's bigger.

Waxxiemann
03/23/2007, 09:22 AM
what I know for sure is that is makes my skimmer into frankenskimmer. It's like Dr.Jeykel and Mr.Hyde.

tatoofr
03/23/2007, 09:22 AM
Thank you,
I'm going to call them.
I love the skimmer but I think it could perform a little better.
Frank

Matt Rise
04/07/2007, 12:54 PM
I've had my EV120 running for a week now with rock in the tank. It either overflows like crazy, or doesn't skim at all. I have been making small adjustments, and when I finally get it set where I want it, a few hours later it has emptied my sump and flooded the floor because it goes haywire. Then, sometimes it will be foaming nicely, and if you look at it crosseyed, the foam tower will collapse. Getting frustrated.

1pix4c
04/07/2007, 01:42 PM
i have the ev 120 best skimmer i ever had
iv had euro reef and life reef, my ev120 blows them away
it took 2 days to dial it in, not to bad
it runs on a mag 7

Matt Rise
04/08/2007, 09:04 AM
Can anyone recommend a baseline setting for the EV120 with a Mag7?

PVsPlayHouse
04/08/2007, 09:28 AM
Im having the same problem with mine. The pump mite be to stronge. That is what AquaC told me to fix the problem. So I truned down the pump seem to work. But still having a problem Three months later. The other thing to try is raise the water level to the top of the box that helped as well. Then adjust the air from there. I hope it works for you sinse it hasnt for me.... =0(

Matt Rise
04/08/2007, 09:56 AM
I'm not really clear on the water level inside the box. No matter how much I adjust the gate valve, the water level in the box stays the same, but the foam in the tube will rise or fall. Right now I have the gate all the way open, and the air at about 60% closed.

CaptainCoral
04/10/2007, 07:49 PM
Matt Rise.....Is the skimmer exit gate above the water level in your sump? I would like to hear more about the gate valve issue. It will raise the water line the more it is closed until ultimately it floods as the water coming out has no where else to go. I suspect you mean it won't lower enough. If so, I recommend to take the exit gate off completely, and maybe even the threaded nipple as well. This will allow more water to pass through your skimmer, and still keep the air choked for minimum bubble size. BTW, the more the air is choked, the higher the water line will rise, and the more pressure you get at the injector. In my experience, the ev180 and likely the ev120 as well (never used one) are more sensitive than my ev400. My ev180 (when stock, and now) needed more water through the box than the 1" exit could handle to run it at peek. So I run it without the exit gate. My next modification to my ev180 will be to remove the 1" exit bulkhead, and Install a 1.5" in it's place.

chase33
04/10/2007, 09:07 PM
Hi,

I have an ev180 skimmer and am having problems as it is producing too much foam. At first I was not getting any foam at all (probably because I had nothing in the tank. About 2 days later (today) I added about 100 lbs of base rock and the foaming began. I have the mag 7 pump and the gate valve is open all the way. The water level is a bit lower than the top of the box as advised in the manual. The foam (very wet) is flowing out of the JG fitting. I have the air valve adjusted to where the water is coming out slower than any other setting. The foam is filling up that section of my sump. What can I do besides turning it off? Please help!

One other question. Which way to turn the air valve to shut it off? does it need to point straight down or at the 90 degree angle for it to be closed?

Waxxiemann
04/10/2007, 09:12 PM
if the air valve is pointing down, the air is open all the way. If you are not using the JG fitting, I would plug it and then turn down the air until the skimmer stops overflowing.

If you have the JG fitting plugged and the air all the way off, there should be no foam produced. That way you can just slowly open the air until it is at a managable level. I hope this helps you out.

PS- I would still run the water level at the recommended height.

chase33
04/10/2007, 09:23 PM
thanks, I appreciate the quick response as I need to do something now as I don't want to go to sleep with it as it is. One last question. What would you reccommend plugging the fitting with?

Waxxiemann
04/10/2007, 09:31 PM
If you have a small peice of 1/4" tubing like for your Ro/DI unit, you can fill one end with silicone and use that. That's what I did.

If you don't have silicone, you could heat it up with a lighter until it starts to melt and squish it together to seal one end.

chase33
04/10/2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks, I'll try it now.

Matt Rise
04/10/2007, 10:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9695480#post9695480 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaptainCoral
Matt Rise.....Is the skimmer exit gate above the water level in your sump? I would like to hear more about the gate valve issue. It will raise the water line the more it is closed until ultimately it floods as the water coming out has no where else to go. I suspect you mean it won't lower enough. If so, I recommend to take the exit gate off completely, and maybe even the threaded nipple as well. This will allow more water to pass through your skimmer, and still keep the air choked for minimum bubble size. BTW, the more the air is choked, the higher the water line will rise, and the more pressure you get at the injector. In my experience, the ev180 and likely the ev120 as well (never used one) are more sensitive than my ev400. My ev180 (when stock, and now) needed more water through the box than the 1" exit could handle to run it at peek. So I run it without the exit gate. My next modification to my ev180 will be to remove the 1" exit bulkhead, and Install a 1.5" in it's place.

Yes, the gate valve is above the water level. I'm running the skimmer externally. When I shine a flashlight into the skimmer, it always appears as if the water level is just above the box It has been very finicky, I have resorted to shutting it off when I leave the house. Thanx for the help, I'll get it figured out eventually :)

serum153
04/10/2007, 11:12 PM
Can you put a mag 5 pump on the remora pro?

Matt Rise
04/11/2007, 07:07 AM
Here's where I'm at.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/matt_rise/skimmerfoam.jpg

spsdude
04/11/2007, 07:29 AM
I have a mag 7 on my remora pro with the extra tall collection cup works great!

serum153
04/11/2007, 09:43 PM
What preskimmer box do you have to get if you use a mag 5 pump? Thanks for the quick reply spsdude

CaptainCoral
04/12/2007, 07:49 AM
Matt Rise... Can you get a pic of the plumbing used behind the skimmer of the exit water? I'd use a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" pvc and downslope it to the sump to ensure that there isn't any back pressure in the mixing box. I would then add a gate valve (not a ball valve) to the pump driving the injector (if there isn't one already) and dial that back until the water lines waves just disappear from sight in the foam tower. This should drive it harder than with a mag5 and allow you to keep it from running too wet and flooding with the mag7 full throttle. This should also allow you to choke more air if needed to get dryer foam.

Matt Rise
04/12/2007, 08:40 PM
Captain, thanx for the help. I am going to get a Mag 5 impeller tomorrow to try and resolve the flooding issue. All I had on hand was a ball valve to try on the Mag 7 and it didn't work out to well.

Here is a pic of how I had it set up a few weeks ago. I removed the "T" from the end because of the gurgling and splashing. I put a filter sock over the drain to quiet the noise down. The pipe is 1".

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/matt_rise/skimmert-1.jpg

chase33
04/12/2007, 09:19 PM
Waxxiemann, thanks for your help. Sticking the 1/4" tube into the JG fitting now allows me to control the amount of foam the skimmer is producing. Correcting a statement made in an earlier post, the foam was not coming out of the JG fitting, it was coming out of the collection cup drain fitting. The problem was too much foam was coming out into my sump and I couldn't stop it or slow it down. At least now I'm able to control the amount coming out.
Now for my next question. How do I know when my setting is correct? How much foam should the skimmer produce?

Waxxiemann
04/12/2007, 10:04 PM
Hey, I'm glad that workd out for you. That question is kinda hard to answer. I usually keep my 240 so that when it is fully collapsed (like after you just clean it or just start it up) the foam is steady at about a half way up the reactor tube.

If you are getting way too much foam into the collection cup, you'll know when it's overflowing right away or the skimmate is VERY light color, taper back the air a bit. If you have the air way back (or almost off) you need to open the gate valve and lower the water level inside the skimmer box.

Make sure that the skimmer output is above the water and also that the water level (gate valve) in the sump where you have the skimmer is CONSTANT. This is very important if you want consistent performance.

Good luck!
Waxx

Waxxiemann
04/12/2007, 10:18 PM
OK. you gotta remember that the actual proteins will take a while to build up and overflow into the cup. You'll know when you see a yellow colored head start to build on top of the foam. Then you're on you way.

chase33
04/12/2007, 10:27 PM
The air valve is almost completely closed. The gate valve is almost completely open and I will open it the rest of the way. When you say skimmer output do you mean the collection cup drain or the water output from the gate valve? The water level in that section of the sump is always constant as it is the section where the overflow drains into the sump. The middle section which houses the return is where evaporation occurs.

Waxxiemann
04/13/2007, 12:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9713410#post9713410 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chase33
The air valve is almost completely closed. The gate valve is almost completely open and I will open it the rest of the way. When you say skimmer output do you mean the collection cup drain or the water output from the gate valve? The water level in that section of the sump is always constant as it is the section where the overflow drains into the sump. The middle section which houses the return is where evaporation occurs.

Open the gate the rest of the way. When I say output, I mean from the gate valve. If you can get the foam to stay at a constant height in the reaction tube, your halfway there. Every time you make a change, wait a little while for it to set in before you go ahead with another adjustment.

If you've got to have the air almost all the way closed to keep it from overflowing, then so be it. Have you treated with any meds or anything of the like recently? Seems most people who just get these skimmers have touble gettig it to foam at all.

When you have the air all te way off, and there is NO AIR going into the skimmer, the water level should around the top of the black box. When my skimmer goes nuts or I make some kinda big change that requires me to make big adjustments, I always use this method to get back to "zero" so to speak.

chase33
04/13/2007, 05:14 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a try. It's a new tank and I haven't used any meds. I did have trouble getting it to foam until I added the base rock. As soon as I did that it started foaming like crazy. I think with the information you've provided I should be able to get it set correctly. I'll keep you informed. Thanks again.

Matt Rise
04/14/2007, 10:41 AM
I put a Mag 5 back on the EV120, no matter what I do, it seems that the water level is always above the box. I shut the air off completely, and the water was about a half inch above the box with the gate wide open. When I open the air halfway, it drops the water down to about 1/8" above the box.

This is making me a little crazy.

CaptainCoral
04/14/2007, 10:55 PM
I wonder if the long exit pipe is causing back pressure. I've never run externally, but I suspect that could be suspect. You shouldn't have that high of water using a mag5.

joedirt54
04/14/2007, 11:48 PM
I used to be a big fan of aqua-c, but my remora has become a big piece of **** latey and seldom skimms....I don't feed any meaty foods and my tank is clear of alae...but the skimmer is skimming 1 day out 7.

chris4869
04/15/2007, 12:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9724132#post9724132 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Matt Rise
I put a Mag 5 back on the EV120, no matter what I do, it seems that the water level is always above the box. I shut the air off completely, and the water was about a half inch above the box with the gate wide open. When I open the air halfway, it drops the water down to about 1/8" above the box.

This is making me a little crazy.

Matt,
I have the same setup as yours. I have the bigger EV180 with an Eheim 1262 (upgraded from a Mag7), and my protein skimmer sits outside of my refugium. I "T" off my return line (gate valve) to reduce the splashing, but it was making gurgling noises too. My pump is too much for the skimmer, and my waterline would always be 3+ inches above the black box even when the gate valve is fully open. I thought I was going to get a flood with the way it was.

I installed a valve to throttle back the water from my pump (it's suggested in the manual). I solved the water level problem and the protein skimmer was working great, but I still have that annoying gurgling sound though. I use a pvc cap and capped the open end of the "T". I know the folks from AquaC are against it, and I know why with their recommeded pumps, but it did wonders for me. I was surprised to see the water line dropped below the top of the black box in the protein skimmer. I didn't need to throttle back the water from my pump anymore. The gurgling noise also went away as well. The water level is perfectly at the top of the black box. I've been getting really fine bubbles in the foam tower now and I couldn't be any happier.

chris4869
04/15/2007, 01:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9729276#post9729276 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joedirt54
I used to be a big fan of aqua-c, but my remora has become a big piece of **** latey and seldom skimms....I don't feed any meaty foods and my tank is clear of alae...but the skimmer is skimming 1 day out 7.

Hey joedirt54,
If your tank is clear of algae then I think that "big piece of ****" is doing it's job. :p

I think you should play it safe and check the amonia, nitrate, etc.. levels in your water to make sure if your protein skimmer is working or needs replacing. Keep in mind that if there is nothing to skim in your water, then your skimmer has nothing to skim.

Matt Rise
04/15/2007, 02:10 PM
Thanx Chris, I'm getting some drier foam today, but the bubbles are still huge. The air is choked back about 60% now.

Matt Rise
04/16/2007, 10:28 AM
Anyone want to buy an EV120 with a Mag5? Used for two weeks. I've had it with this thing.

eztiger
04/17/2007, 09:34 PM
Hi,
I've read this whole thread (even the first half).
I have a AquaC EV240 in my 55 gallon sump for a 180 gallon display tank.

Believe me, I've read the instructions for the skimmer at least 10 times and this thread at least twice.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right. The skimmer is sitting on a stand in my sump. The sump water level is steady at 12" and the stand is approx 6". Which means the return is approx. 2" above the sump water level.

The return is pointing towards my aquarium return pump and not the pump supplying the water to the skimmer.

The JG is plugged with RO tubing, the injector and skimmer tower is cleaned weekly (even though it really doesn't need it).

The pump I'm using is a mag 12 (the only pump that was recommended by the AquaC site when I first purchased the skimmer 1.5 years ago).

The mag 12 is plumbed to the skimmer with 3/4 tubing with the shortest piece possible (less than 18 inches) without kinking or bending it, so not to restrict the water flow.

Now for the problem: ITs NOT SKIMMING
Not true.........it 's skimming very little .......I dream of the day that I wake up and see that my EV 240 is skimming like some of these people that owe this skimmer.

The skimmer can run for a week and collect only a little over a 1/4 inch of skim mate. About the bio load in the display tank I would consider it medium to heavy with 260 lbs of Live rock, lots of coral and fish.......

I started doing research on the EV 240 because my nitrates in my display were rising and fast (50 plus .........so, most recommendation were get a better skimmer and skim aggressively). Then I saw the results that other people were getting with this skimmer and would like to get the same but it's not happening.

I just seems that the skimmate has problems reaching the collection cup. I even purchased a waste container which never needs cleaning because the only thing that gets there is condensation.

The water level is right below or equal to the top of the box, like recommend on this thread and on the AquaC site.

Can anyone out there help me out ....or give me any suggestions.
Thanks a million

If more information is needed please let me know.....

:confused: :confused:

bureau13
04/17/2007, 09:47 PM
I have some trouble with the foam tower consistently reaching the collection cup as well...although after a few days I always seem to have a thick layer of nasty gunk in there anyway, so I guess it gets in there when I'm not looking. Still...I would prefer to skim a bit wetter.

I'm using a Mag 18, and most people seem to think the lower end of "recommended pumps" are significantly inferior. The other thing I'm in the process of doing is putting in a 1" spray injector and using 1" tubing from my pump to the skimmer. I haven't done that yet so I can't say how effective it will be for me, but when I contacted AquaC about getting the replacements injector based on comments here, they told me they were considering using that bigger injector as the standard going forward. So hopefully there is something to that!

jds

Matt Rise
04/17/2007, 09:50 PM
eztiger, I have been in touch with Keith at Aqua C and he has been very helpful. Try emailing him through their website www.proteinskimmer.com Thanx to his help, I might hang onto this thing after all.

eztiger
04/17/2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks Matt Rise and Bureau

Hey Bureau
Please keep me posted about the 1" tubing and injector thing goes. Do you have any idea when you will be doing the modifications?

The only thing was that I wasn't planning on change my mag 12 but now it seems that I wouldn't have much of a choice.

Matt Rise
I'm presently in contact with Keith at AquaC but I figured I had nothing to loose with trying other peoples experiences or suggestions.....Thank for the info.

eztiger
04/18/2007, 08:29 PM
Does anyone else have the same problem or similar.....would like to hear from others and any suggestions that they might have.

Thanks to all

KAiNE
04/19/2007, 07:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9761277#post9761277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eztiger
Does anyone else have the same problem or similar.....would like to hear from others and any suggestions that they might have.

Thanks to all

I got my 240 about 1.5 years ago and went with the recommended Iwaki pump. Mine is external, about 3.5' above the sump (and pump). You would think that the added head pressure would reduce performance but it doesn't as far as i can tell.
If I have the airvalve all the way open and the gate valve all the way open after i clean it, It will fill the collection cup and half of a gallon container with fairly dark foamy skimmate.
Couple of questions...
1) has it ever skimmed better than it is now?
2) how many turns on the gate valve does it take to get the water to the bottom of the platform?
3) what is the bubble size?
4) when you check it in the morning (before any kind of feeding) is it skimming?

eztiger
04/19/2007, 08:27 AM
Hi there Kaine

To answer your questions

1 - The skimmer never skimmed better than the performance I'm getting presently.

2 - I would have to check and count the number of turns (I'll get back to you on that one....but when I look through the water return, the gate is approx half way down or less).

3 - The bubbles are small at the bottom and get larger (1/3 way up the riser they increase in size) . The small bubbles, are far from being micro-bubbles( more like boiling water).

4 - Yes, it is skimming in the morning but I'll never get close to the results you are getting. I can skim for a week or more and get 1/4 inch of skimmate. I have a waste container that is still brand new because the skimmate never gets there

Kaine do think you can post a picture of your EV 240 set-up, I'm very visual.
It seems everyone else is getting better performances with different pumps........mag18 , Iwaki
I was hoping I didn't have to change mine.......Do you suspect the mag12 is not strong enough?.

thanks

Couple of questions...
1) has it ever skimmed better than it is now?
2) how many turns on the gate valve does it take to get the water to the bottom of the platform?
3) what is the bubble size?
4) when you check it in the morning (before any kind of feeding) is it skimming? [/B][/QUOTE]

KAiNE
04/19/2007, 11:54 AM
Ok... I've never seen a mag12 running a 240 so i really cant comment there. AquaC does still list the 12 so it must work.
Have you pulled the injector and cleaned it as well as the tube underneath, you may have to come at it from the air valve hole to get to it. I know that it isnt skimming so you wouldnt think it was dirty but ya never know.
Mine gets a snail (chiton or strombus) in the injector about once every two weeks. When this happens it acts very similar to what you describe.
What is your feeding schedule like? The skimmer will collapse for awhile after feeding but it should resume.
How about your air intake? Is it pulling any pollutants like smoke or cooking fumes? These will definitely collapse the column.
I can post some pics when i get home this evening.
One other thing i do is, I plumbed my air intake to draw outside air.

Waxxiemann
04/19/2007, 04:14 PM
This may sound drastic, but if you go to a 1" injector and a mag 18, you'll have no problem getting skim. That may not be a route you are willing to take though. I get a full cup (up to overflow fitting) every day.

gcarroll
04/19/2007, 04:27 PM
Hey guys, stop calling it the 1" injector. Make sure you call it the "gcarroll injector". :lolspin: Thanks for your time.

Waxxiemann
04/19/2007, 05:18 PM
My bad ;)

eztiger
04/19/2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the replies.....everyone

Yes, I do clean out the injector at least once a week, just for the up keep.
I use brushes to clean it out well and every once in awhile I let sit in white vinegar so it's spotless.
I also clean the tubing right under the injector as well every second week which is not really dirty.

As for the hole you are mentioning that I might have to go through the air intake to clean......I have no idea which hole you are referring to.....can you please specify which hole your taking about.......

The air intake is also cleaned the same time the injector is.

The sump which holds the skimmer is sitting underneath the display cabinet, is it possible that the air intake is not getting the proper air?
But, the cabinet is well ventilated to avoid humidity and to keep water temperature down with two fans to circulate air and the cabinet has a open back so air can get out.

I would love to change to the 1" injector with a mag18 but I really want to try everything before investing more money just to hope to get better results.

I've invested quite a bit with the Ev240 skimmer, AquaC waste container and mag12 just to get very poor skimming results.
I don't want to invest another 200$ for a mag18 just to end up buying another skimmer.

Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right first and exhausting all my possibilities first before investing more money.

Thanks to all of you
Just keep it coming, I'm open to everything at this point.

Matt Rise
04/19/2007, 11:37 PM
ez, can you post some pics?

eztiger
04/19/2007, 11:42 PM
My apologies to gcarroll
For not referring to the 1" injector as the gcarroll injector..........

To answer the questin about the feeding habits .....I've cut down quite a bit because of my nitrates rising in the tank and not being able to skim aggressively.
Feeding almost every second day and very little until the nitrates drop..........

As for the smoking......There is no smokers the household ..........and I suspect that my wife will not read this thread so I can say this ..........she's not much of a cook but a pro with the microwave, so I don't think the cooking is affecting the skimmer.

Hope I didn't forget anything......

eztiger
04/19/2007, 11:55 PM
I'll post some pictures on Saturday, I don't think I have updated pictures on this computer.

But, I might have some pictures I can post now..... this is how it was set up a few weeks ago . ........the skimmer was turned around so that the water return was not pointed towards the mag12 but pointed toward the fuge......so that the mag12 is only receiving unskimmed water from the display.

I'm trying to post the pictures but it's not working....I'll try to but them in my gallery........if it doesn't work tonight .....I'll post them Saturday for sure......

eztiger
04/20/2007, 12:01 AM
Tried posting pictures but server says they are too big ......how can I make them smaller .....less than 50kb

Matt Rise
04/20/2007, 08:49 AM
I use iphoto on my Mac. If you have photoshop you can use that.

eztiger
04/20/2007, 03:56 PM
Picture of the skimmer the way it was set up a week ago........In the picture the skimmer had been running for at least a week.

Looks like I can post only one pic at a time...

eztiger
04/20/2007, 04:10 PM
Oups, I guess that didn't work but was able to post them in my gallery........So, please refer to my gallery to see the pictures...

wuelfman
04/22/2007, 05:10 PM
these skimmers need a bigger pump Way bigger.
here is mine with a mag 18 running with a custom riser. I still needed to use the gate valve to up the water level in the box
I just today put a mag 24 on it with 1 inch piping and took off the gate valve
the water level is just about perfect with the bigger pump. we shall see how it goes!! it has always work ok for me I just want more hahah
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/2897DSCF1560.JPG

KAiNE
04/23/2007, 06:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9775740#post9775740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eztiger
Oups, I guess that didn't work but was able to post them in my gallery........So, please refer to my gallery to see the pictures...

Another thing i thought of... are you in any way restricting the outflow of air? I dont have the aquaC waste container so I dont know if it filters the air leaving it but if it did, it would cause what you are seeing.

moumda
04/23/2007, 07:09 AM
I also had a problem with my 180 not skimming and I solved it by going 1 pump size bigger than reccomended by Aqua. I took the water valve off and control the skimmate by pinching off on the air valve. Now I can skim wet or dry but beware of floods. Now when my air valve is all the way open I take it and the water nozzle out and clean them. Works well for me.

eztiger
04/23/2007, 02:21 PM
Hi There

For wuelfman:

Nice set up .........What model is your skimmer.....and how high is your tower.
Do you have a 3/4 or 1" injector.
If a 3/4, how did you plumb it (can you post more pictures on the plumbing)

Thanks

For Kaine

No air restriction with the AquaC waste container.........Thats what it does if it gets to full, it will cut off the air so the skimmer will stop skimming.

No, worries here ....I'm lucky if I get condensation in the waste container for now.

I've also requested a 1" injector from AquaC ....hope I'll get it soon.

For Moumda

What pump were you using and which pump are you using now?

Do you see a big difference between pumps .....(skimmate)?

I've posted pictures of my skimmer in my gallery .......I will soon post more picture of the way it is set up presently.

Thanks

moumda
04/23/2007, 07:10 PM
eztiger
I went from a mag7 to a mag9. Skimmate went from nothing (next to) to whatever I want, wet or dry. I have a cs-5 euroreef in the same sump that skims nothing when the aqua is running.

wuelfman
04/23/2007, 07:39 PM
eztiger
i have the model 240 then i had a 16 inch riser made for it
i just used 1 inch pvc pipe with a 3/4 reducer i sanded out the inside and use the plastic piece from the 240 for it. i can take some pictures tomorrow i have to charge the camera

eztiger
04/23/2007, 07:54 PM
Hi there

Moumda
Thanks for the encouragement ....I got to start looking for a stronger pump...

wuelfman

I really like your set up........If possible please do post some pics of your plumbing............I"ll probably do the same mods this weekend....

Looks like your skimmer is kicking some real butt...

bureau13
04/23/2007, 08:03 PM
Well, I had some trouble finding something to go from 3/4" female threads to 1" hose barb...I think I finally found a couple parts to put together that will do it. My sump is a pain to do anything in, but probably in the next couple days I should get that injector in there.

jds

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9754015#post9754015 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eztiger
Thanks Matt Rise and Bureau

Hey Bureau
Please keep me posted about the 1" tubing and injector thing goes. Do you have any idea when you will be doing the modifications?

The only thing was that I wasn't planning on change my mag 12 but now it seems that I wouldn't have much of a choice.

Matt Rise
I'm presently in contact with Keith at AquaC but I figured I had nothing to loose with trying other peoples experiences or suggestions.....Thank for the info.

eztiger
04/23/2007, 08:56 PM
Hey Bureau

Can't wait till you get it done. Let me know how you get it done and what s the performance you get out of it.

wuelfman
04/24/2007, 09:00 PM
so here are some pictures this is with 1 inch piping and a mag 240. i l also have a extra riser.this is 24 hours worth of skimate i cleaned yesterday when i finished the pipe mod
ler me know if you want more

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/28971.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/28972.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/28973.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/28974.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/28975.JPG

davidryder
04/24/2007, 09:06 PM
I had the AquaC EV-120 and now I'm skimmerless. I haven't been overly impressed by skimmers overall, and this one was like the rest:

It needed frequent adjusting
Putting my hand in the water made the skimmer idle for hours
Occasionally I would fill up my waste container in a matter of hours due to overskimming
It had to be constantly cleaned

Now I have a well established refugium, carbon, and polyester floss and haven't seen a difference in readings/algae in the past 3 months.

evoracer
04/24/2007, 09:12 PM
Steve at AquaC got back to me yesterday and is sending me a 1" injector free of charge for my 240. He also advised me not to swap out my QuietOne 5000 with a larger pump until I try it with the new injector, but I am prepared to pick up a Mag18 if need be. Will update when the part arrives.

eztiger
04/24/2007, 09:25 PM
Holy smokes Wuelfman

I don't know what I'd give to get that kind of performance out of my skimmer..................

I think, I really don't have much of a choice but to upgrade my mag drive.......

I don't even get that kind of skimmate after a week.

Awesome set up ....I got to give it to you.......nice job.

The only thing I can ask for more is, the next time you clean out your skimmer.....If possible can take more pics on how you connected the 1" plumbing to the injector.
I would like to know how you did that.....

Thanks a lot....you've been of great help so far......

I'm even embarrassed to post more pics of my skimmer......

wuelfman
04/24/2007, 09:50 PM
I just got a reducer out of PVC pipe 3/4 threaded on one side 1 inch slip on the other side any osh ,homedepot or lowes will carry it its a basic part. the 3/4 threaded goes right in where your injector goes on the box. i took the plastic part off the injector and sanded the inside of the pvc and glued it in.
I have to say I just now feel that the skimmer is working up to its full potenial.it has been a work in progress.
here is a picture. the clear part is what i took out andd glued in the pvc pipe. i had 2 extra
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/289711.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/289722.JPG

eztiger
04/25/2007, 07:39 PM
Hi Wuelfman

Thanks once again.....That makes a lot of sense......

J3REEF
04/26/2007, 12:14 PM
Expecting delivery on my new 240 with mag 12 pump and am wondering if I should have upgraded to a larger pump?

240 going on a new 120g setup with a 80g sump.

Should I upgrade to a larger pump?
Also hear that the mags run hot and as this will be an in sump setup, should I consider an differnt pump line?

Looking for input.

Thanks

Waxxiemann
04/26/2007, 01:01 PM
I would go for the bigger pump. You won't regret it.

gcarroll
04/26/2007, 01:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9806377#post9806377 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wuelfman
I just got a reducer out of PVC pipe 3/4 threaded on one side 1 inch slip on the other side any osh ,homedepot or lowes will carry it its a basic part. the 3/4 threaded goes right in where your injector goes on the box. i took the plastic part off the injector and sanded the inside of the pvc and glued it in.
I have to say I just now feel that the skimmer is working up to its full potenial.it has been a work in progress.
here is a picture. the clear part is what i took out andd glued in the pvc pipe. i had 2 extra
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/289711.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/289722.JPG No sense in DIY now that AquaC is sending them out for free.

Waxxiemann
04/26/2007, 01:13 PM
... I paid $10 for mine ... :mad2:

gcarroll
04/26/2007, 01:15 PM
and it was the best $10 you ever spent, no?

guyver
04/26/2007, 01:39 PM
Have got to hand it to everyone and say thanks.

Lurked in and out for a bit.

Just found this thread the other day, have had a ev-180 for over a year with a mag-7....never been happy. After reading these posts, decided to try a 1262, remove the gate, raise the skimmer so the output id just over the sump level, cleaned out the tube under the injector...just turned it on and ....WOW. Night and day already and it's an hour into it, still tweeking it. The air is about 2/3 rds down and looks about right at the moment.
Always felt the mag-7 didn't have enough to it. This may just be the ticket.
Thanks again to all.

xtra-salty
04/26/2007, 02:37 PM
FREE? THey just made me pay $10 2 days ago

gcarroll
04/26/2007, 04:09 PM
How did you pay. They may not have actually charged you. They just got back to the office 2 days ago from vacation and that seems to be when the decision was made.

leochngyh
04/27/2007, 12:15 AM
I am a new user of EV120, Running for 1 week. Somehow I just cant get the skimate I want.
I am using the Sicce Extrema pump (2500 lph).

Few problem I see:
- its not stable, sometime it skimming good and sometime I just stop skimming.
- It will stop skimming for hours after I feed

Anyone can help??

moumda
04/27/2007, 02:26 AM
Mine does stop skimming after putting my hands in the water or feeding. Doesn't usually last more than a hour or so.

leochngyh
04/27/2007, 05:36 AM
My problem is dun really how to tune it??? also is the sicce extrema pump with 2500 lph enuf for the skimmer??

evoracer
04/27/2007, 01:18 PM
I would contact AquaC about the use of that pump. Also, a week is not that long with a new skimmer. There is break-in process, and it can take a few weeks to start running correctly. Follow the instructions in the owner's manual to the letter would be my advice.

leochngyh
04/28/2007, 04:24 AM
ok, will wait till 3-4 weeks for the break in period.

nxma14
04/28/2007, 10:43 PM
I purchased an Aqua C EV 240. It has a one "Speedfit" fitting that I assume we can use for either ozone or CR Effluent line.

What would be the best way to run both ozone and CR effluent in my 125 gallon tank. Should I do both through the skimmer? Is it necessary to run the CR Effluent line through the skimmer? Aqua C says doing so will blow off the excess Co2 and help keep PH in the tank remain stable. Does anyone just run the CR effluent into the sump?

Finally, if I wanted to run the water coming out of the skimmer though carbon, could I just put a bag of carbon next to the water coming out or do I need to get a carbon chamber and plumb the water coming out of the skimmer into the carbon chamber?

evoracer
04/29/2007, 10:01 AM
As for the last question, I wouldn't run the exit water through a carbon chamber that would put any backpressure on the skimmer. Free and clear exit path is essential to the operation of this skimmer.

xtra-salty
04/29/2007, 10:42 AM
"How did you pay. They may not have actually charged you. They just got back to the office 2 days ago from vacation and that seems to be when the decision was made."

I had a buddy of mine pay for me through paypal, so the charge did actually go through. This was right after the vacation. Oh well.

gcarroll
04/30/2007, 08:51 AM
Oh, it looks like the "gcarroll injector" was far more popular than they ever expected. so much that they will now include it with all EV240 and EV400 skimmers.

evoracer
04/30/2007, 01:13 PM
Yup, that's what he told me when he emailed me back. I am still waiting for mine, hope it shows up today or tomorrow.

argi
04/30/2007, 01:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9843927#post9843927 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gcarroll
Oh, it looks like the "gcarroll injector" was far more popular than they ever expected. so much that they will now include it with all EV240 and EV400 skimmers.

Hehe..gcarroll injector, don't you just love that:lol:

BTW just got mine a couple of days ago and will install it today or tomorrow.

ScottL4619
04/30/2007, 01:24 PM
Does the 1" injector trick ("gcarroll injector") work on all EV models, or just the larger ones? I am running my EV150 with a Mag pump (only until I get an Eheim) and was thinking of changing to the gcarroll version since the Mag has a 1" out.

gcarroll
04/30/2007, 02:02 PM
I don't think it will make much difference on the smaller models since most of them don't require a pump that has a 1" output. What pump are you using?

ScottL4619
04/30/2007, 02:04 PM
Mag 9.5, I'm pretty sure it has a 1 inch output

gcarroll
04/30/2007, 02:42 PM
nope, mag 9.5 has 3/4 in and out. I don't think the 1" injector will help. It hels on the larger models since all the pumps recomended have 1" outputs.

ScottL4619
04/30/2007, 02:47 PM
Cool, thanks guys

bureau13
04/30/2007, 02:57 PM
FWIW, the Mag18 I'm using on my EV-240 has 3/4" in and out as well...but someone told me there would still be a benefit from going up in size on the tubing and injector. I can't verify that yet since I haven't put it in, but I'm hoping they were correct...

jds

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9846360#post9846360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gcarroll
nope, mag 9.5 has 3/4 in and out. I don't think the 1" injector will help. It hels on the larger models since all the pumps recomended have 1" outputs.

ScottL4619
04/30/2007, 03:02 PM
Hmm, maybe I'll order one from Aqua C and try it out. For $10, it can't hurt.

pogodzib
05/01/2007, 02:55 PM
I have a EV-150 w/ a Mag 9.5 on it. I noticed a while ago that if you install a 3/4 threaded fitting onto the end with a 1" hose fitting on the other end and then reduce the hose size down at the skimmer there will be an increase in the flow volume and the unit skims better. I've ordered the "gcarroll" fitting and will give it a try as soon as I get it. For $10, I'm not out much if it doesn't help. I'll let you know the outcome.

pogodzib
05/01/2007, 03:08 PM
BTW - Try using the head loss calculator here on RC. 1' of 1" pipe using a Mag 9.5 with a 90 degree elbow (for the skimmer connection) has 1.17' of head pressure and a flow rate of 925 GPM. With 3/4" pipe, the head pressure goes up to 2.88' and the flow is reduced to 865 GPM. That is for only 1' of pipe with an elbow. That's a flow loss of 60 GPM by the time it enters the skimmer. Since the actual elbows for a 3/4" and 1" hose connections are even smaller, the difference in losses would be even greater. I know that the numbers are skewed since the calculation doesn't account for the spray injector and so forth, but you can still see that there should be some benefit to the switch.

ScottL4619
05/01/2007, 07:10 PM
Pogodzib, thanks for the info. Let me know how that new injector works out.

RENE
05/01/2007, 11:03 PM
my aquac 150 is sittin collecting dust,

ScottL4619
05/02/2007, 08:59 AM
Rene, did you have problems with it, or are you just not using it?

Waxxiemann
05/02/2007, 09:05 AM
Hey,

You guys know what size threaded fitting the air valve is? I think I'm going to replace mine with a gate valve instead of the ball valve for more control.

Cheers,
Waxx

moumda
05/02/2007, 05:10 PM
I believe it's 3/8" pipe thread.

ScottL4619
05/06/2007, 11:29 AM
I had an interesting experience with my EV150 this weekend that I thought I would share in case anyone else has the same thing happen to them. My tank is between the kitchen and family room and my skimmer sits outside of the stand. Well, we cooked some bacon on the stove and stupid me forgot to turn the skimmer off to keep it from ingesting all that greasy air. 5 minutes into cooking, the foam collapsed down to nothing. I figured it wasn't a big deal, it would start foaming again soon. 12 hours later, still no foam building. I've read threads about oils in the air, cigarette smoke, etc, but nothing regarding bacon specifically. I guess bacon is a little bit greasier (or maybe we burned a couple pieces) than other foods cooked near a skimmer. Here's what I did and I suspect this will work for all EV models if you encounter this problem. Turned the skimmer off and let the water drain down. Took some paper towels and dunked them in the tank water still in the bottom of the mixing box. Wiped off every part of the interior that I could reach (underneath the injector hole, the baffle, all sides of the mixing box, under the lip of the riser, and of course, the riser itself). I did this twice since I figured after a while with the first paper towel I was just spreading it further. After two wipe downs (power still off), I turned it back on and wham, foam immediately (30 seconds). It was back to running normally within minutes. Just a little FYI for anyone with a similar issue.

pogodzib
05/07/2007, 07:21 AM
I hooked the "gcarroll" injector up to my EV-150 last night and I was amazed at how much more flow was being pushed through the skimmer. I had to open up the skimmer valve about 1 1/2-2 full turns more than with the old injector. It was almost as if I upgraded to a larger pump. For the first couple hours after putting the new injector on, I got absolutely no foam in the riser tube, but then the foam started gradually rising. This morning there was some skimmate in the collection cup, but not quit as much as there would have been with the old injector. My guess is that along with the new injector and my messing around with cleaning the skimmer, there was additional oils in the tank so it won't be until tonight before I start seeing the benefits to the new injector. I'm sure that I'll also need to do a little fine tuning on the skimmer water level tonight as well. Now I just need to sit back and wait to see if the skimmate amount improves, of which I'm sure it will.

ScottL4619
05/07/2007, 07:25 AM
Pogodzib, please let me know how this turns out for you and what type of hookup you used (where you changed to 1 inch and what you used to do it) because I'm seriously considering doing this with my EV150 with Mag pump. Also, do you ever have issues with foam shutting down after adding fresh makeup water? I added 2 gallons of RODI water last night with calcium additive mixed for a day or two and the foaming has been stopped for 12-14 hours and is not rebounding as of yet.

pogodzib
05/07/2007, 10:59 AM
Scott - I've been running 1" tubing from a Mag 9.5 pump to the old 3/4" injector for a few months already. When I changed to the 1" tubing from the 3/4" tubing, I had to open the exit valve about 1/2 turn. I use a 3/4" FTP x FTP valve connected to the pump, followed by a 3/4" MTP x 1" hose adaptor, 1" tubing, and then the new 1" injector. Previously at the injector, I slipped the 3/4" injector inside a small 3/4" hose section which was then slipped inside of the 1" hose.

My skimmer can shut down for brief periods to time after cleaning the skimmer, during feedings or water changes, but it is usually producing some skimmate after a couple hours. My topoff water is added constantly throughout the day using a float valve.

How large are your air bubbles in your riser tube? Mine are fairly large and my next mod that I was thinking about doing was sealing up the air gap around the riser tube and adding a ball valve so I can control the air input better. Controlling the air should allow me to make my bubble size smaller and get a wetter skimmate. I/m hoping that I can get my skimmate back up to the 3-5 cups of dark skimmate that I produced right after I started using ozone. Right now, I'm producing about 1/3-1/2 cup per day of thick (and really really stinky) skimmate.

ScottL4619
05/07/2007, 11:14 AM
Well, after looking at my water level again following a 12 no foam period, it appears that the water level has risen for some reason. I have the pump in a constant level compartment, so I'm assuming that perhaps by adding my topoff water, I changed the salinity enough to affect the skimmer settings. Does this sound remotely possible?

I'm curious to see what happens with that 1 inch injector because I'll get one if it seems to work for you.

As for my bubbles, I have the air turned down (and I suppose the exit valve closed further) to create small bubbles that rise up about 1/2 way until they turn into larger bubbles and burst.

pogodzib
05/08/2007, 08:10 AM
When I got home last night, there was only a trace of skimmate in the collection cup. I adjusted it a couple of times in the evening until I got it to where I thought that was adjusted for optimal performance prior to changing out the injector. Overnight, the skimmer only produced about 1/4" of skimmate which would be less than or, at best, equal to how much skimmate I was producing before the change. So far, I like seeing the increased flow rate through the skimmer, but it is not producing the results that I am looking for. Hopefully it is just that I don't have it adjusted quit right yet or that there is a new break in period with swapping out the injector. I'll keep adjusting it over the next few days to try to get some increased skimmate production.

ScottL4619
05/08/2007, 08:16 AM
So, it sounds like the 1" injector isn't creating the necessary foam? I'm having a heck of a time getting mine to produce consistently. Just when I have it cranking out the foam and skimmate, I turn the skimmer pump off for something. Turn it back on, and the foam head just refuses to start building again. This is the second night in a row that in 12 hours, no foam head, just breaking bubbles at the water level. Yesterday it sat for 24 hours with no rising foam (after it had been working great the night before). No new chemicals, last night when I got it working, all I did was pull the overflow drain out of the skimmer sump compartment and put it back in. Didn't change it's placement, flow, etc. This is boggling my mind.

rykwong
05/08/2007, 11:25 AM
I have an EV180 with a Eheim 1262 and thinking about adding the 1 inch injector. Would it help on my setup? The skimmer has not been performing anything close to what I would like it to. Thanks!

pogodzib
05/08/2007, 12:40 PM
I went home at lunch time and there the foam had filled the cup up to close to where the drainage tube leaves the cup, so the skimmate amount appears to be improving. The bubble size was fairly large so I made a minor adjustment to decrease the bubble size.:p

tatoofr
05/09/2007, 06:15 AM
Hi,
I dont think the 1 inch injector is an option with the ev 120 and 180 model.
Frank

pogodzib
05/09/2007, 07:31 AM
You can order the 1" injector from AquaC for any of the EV models. The 1" injector is now standard on their larger EV models. I have noticed a large increase in flow through my EV-150 with the new injector, but have yet to really get an improvement in skimmate with the larger injector, but it has only been installed for a few days. Last night, I thought that I found the sweet spot because the skimmer went crazy for a little while, but by the time I got up this morning it was back to its old self. My guess is that if you are using one of AquaC's recommended pumps, the new injector should help because it will increase the flow rate through the unit, but if you have already upsized your pump, the increased flow may not help.

BTW - The 1" injector has the same size of clover leaf type fitting on it as the 3/4" injector, the only difference is that it has a 1" hose connection.

tatoofr
05/09/2007, 11:52 AM
You can order the 1" injector from AquaC for any of the EV models.
Hmmmmmmmmm.
I called steve at aqua c a while back and he said it would only fit for the 240 and larger.
Maybe I should call him back again.
Frank

ASaleem91
05/10/2007, 08:31 PM
Hey,
Im planning to get an AquaC EV 180 but do not know what pump to get. I have seen a couple of pictures of the EV 180 with an Eheim 1262 and they seem to be getting some really good skimmate. Would you recommend this pump? If not, which pump would you recommend?

Thanks,
ASaleem91:rollface:

moumda
05/10/2007, 08:40 PM
I use a mag 9.5, works well for me.

Waxxiemann
05/10/2007, 09:30 PM
I run an EV240 w/ mag 18 on my 90 gallon. Since I switched over to the 1" injector there is a huge improvement in skimmage.

I've now been running the 1" injector for about a month or so now on my EV240 and I'm still really impressed with the results, I'm getting a cup full to the overflow and about a half a margerine container of skim every day. It's a lighter brown (no too light) because I wanted to skim a little wetter and it works like a charm. I couldn't be happier.

Mag pumps (well the larger ones anyway) are made to be run on 1" hose even though they have 3/4" outputs, you are supposed to use a step up adapter. I think it says this in the manual,but I'm not 100% on that.

Anyway, I won't look back now. I totally recommend the 1" upgrade, best 10 beans I have spent since I started reefing.

rykwong
05/12/2007, 11:57 AM
Can anyone give me some advice on how to correctly adjust an EV180 with an Eheim 1262? I bought this thing used and can never get it to work well. How do you set both the gatevalve and the airvalve? The skimmer sits on the bottom of my sump, but the output is fully over the water leve which means I do not have any backpressure. I typically leave the gatevalve fully open and have to close the air valve a little. For some reason I can only get either insanely wet/overflowing skimmate or really dry. It's getting to a point that I might switch skimmers. Thanks for any help!

moumda
05/12/2007, 01:22 PM
I'm using a 180 with a mag 9.5 and the skimmer will skim very wet sometimes. I took the water valve off all together and adjust the skimmate by pinching off the air. Once I get mine set all I do is clean it every other day or so. I do tend to skim wet so it's easier to set. Best of luck ry!

cap1956
06/21/2007, 12:51 PM
I've read all 47 pages of this thread and from what I picked up my ev-180 on amag7 needed an upgrade. I changed to the "gcarroll" fitting, a mag9.5 I had already and about 3 feet of new 1 inch tubing. The 1 inch tubing slides over the mag 9.5 outlet without a barb adapter.
When I plugged it back in the skimmer overflowed back into the sump. I closed the air valve and managed to control the overflow but the water level 1-2 inches up the tower with the gate valve open or removed. My 180 is on a stand in the sump so the exit is not underwater. I suppose some break in time is to be expected for the new tubing and old pump, but I don't think that will lower the water line in the tower.
I've read of others with the same setup without choking the pump. Why would it seem that I need to choke the pump output with a gate valve when others haven't had to?

cap1956
06/22/2007, 08:58 PM
update:
The following day and somehow my ev-180 is running fine with the gate valve installed. I can't believe I've gone over a year thinking my low skim production on the mag7 was from "low bio-load"
Now with the " gcarroll" injector and mag 9.5 my 180 has transformed into a stink machine. I'm pulling out a cup a day whn I didn't get a cup a week before.
My DSB has been stirred up by my marroon clown for so long my water has been cloudy grey. Overnight the 180 has my tank water crystal clear. I've tried filter socks, diatom filters water changes etc all I needed was to upgrade the 180.

james734
07/12/2007, 12:38 PM
Hey everyone..
Just joined the AquaC club, Got a 120 on with the Mag5. It's seems to be working okay, but after reading through this whole thread it looks like other are swapping out the recommend pumps to a large pump. IE: For the Ev120 it looks like the recommendation is the Eheim 1260 or Mag7 with the Eheim appearing to be the must used choice. I've also seen where some are upgrading to a large injector, is that also the recommended option. I haven't seen may doing this on the 120 but more on the 180's.

So far love the skimmer just looking to tune it to the best performance that I can.

Thanks in advance.

rykwong
07/12/2007, 02:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10326382#post10326382 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by james734
Hey everyone..
Just joined the AquaC club, Got a 120 on with the Mag5. It's seems to be working okay, but after reading through this whole thread it looks like other are swapping out the recommend pumps to a large pump. IE: For the Ev120 it looks like the recommendation is the Eheim 1260 or Mag7 with the Eheim appearing to be the must used choice. I've also seen where some are upgrading to a large injector, is that also the recommended option. I haven't seen may doing this on the 120 but more on the 180's.

So far love the skimmer just looking to tune it to the best performance that I can.

Thanks in advance.

Lots of people here are upgrading the pumps. However, you might as well run it with the mag 5 and see how it performs. You might not need the larger pump. Sometimes it's really a hit or miss and depends on your particular setup such as how often you feed and what type of fish you have. If the skimmer is maintaining your water parameters on your setup then there's no need to really "upgrade". However, if you have that little ich which everyone in this hobby seems to have then get the 1260. haha.

J3REEF
07/12/2007, 02:17 PM
Had the same concern when I purchased a EV-240 for my 120 tech tank.

I purchased the recommended MAG12 pump and continued to find new info on pump upgrades, injector upgrades, etc.

Once the 240 was dialed in, I have dark thick skimmate that will fill the cup up to the collection cup drian and start to drain into a collection bucket in 2 days.

I guess I could do better, but the tank is clear and everyone is happy.

If you upgrade make sure you add a gate to control the flow from the pump.

Watch fish swim by keep'n it simple

chris4869
07/12/2007, 04:53 PM
Hey cap1956,
Are you getting consistent result with the 1" injector? Mine is on the way!

Chris

ALEX007
07/12/2007, 08:23 PM
I have a ev-150 with a mag 7 running it. it seems like i can only get really wet foam or sea water. The skimmate is a light yellowish color. where should the water level be?? I am running it just below the baffle plate. please help

james734
07/12/2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys. I'm still working on getting the 120 dialed in. I haven't had the overflowing problem yet, but it's only been a week. So far from what I've experienced it pulling my gunk then my ASM G1X ever has in the same time frame. My ASM G1a has had about every mod that can be done to it done. Thread wheel, Recirc. Gate Valve. Still does nothing but pull light tan colored water.

So I think I'll stick to the Mag5 for now and see how it goes. I had to up the output to a 1.5" pipe since I had to put a 90o in to direct it back into the sump. So between that and feeding tonight I'm waiting to have it start foaming again.

james734
07/12/2007, 08:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10329428#post10329428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ALEX007
I have a ev-150 with a mag 7 running it. it seems like i can only get really wet foam or sea water. The skimmate is a light yellowish color. where should the water level be?? I am running it just below the baffle plate. please help

I think with these older models that's the correct water level. I'm not a expert here with the Aqua C's but have you tried restricting the air some?

ALEX007
07/12/2007, 09:06 PM
My ev-150 does not have anyway to restrict the air flow

cap1956
07/13/2007, 09:01 AM
Hi chris 4869,
Yes I am getting consistently better larger volume skim with the mag 9.5 and the 1" injector. I am amazed at the constant quantity of tiny bubbles and how slowly they rise in the tube, giving longer contact time. One drawback, I have to empty the collection container more often as it really stinks now.

cap1956
07/13/2007, 09:03 AM
Hi chris 4869,
Yes I am getting consistently better larger volume skim with the mag 9.5 and the 1" injector. I am amazed at the constant quantity of tiny bubbles and how slowly they rise in the tube, giving longer contact time. One drawback, I have to empty the collection container more often as it really stinks now. Look at the earlier posts and pictures and try to adgust yours to get those small relatively slow rising bubbles. For me, I close the gate valve a bit and open the air valve about 1/4 of the way. I had to remove the PVC piping from after my gate valve, it was restricting the flow and backing up into my riser.

Freds
07/13/2007, 01:04 PM
How loud are these and what's the air draw like? I'm thinking about getting an EV 180 for my 90 gallon tank. The tank and stand are in my living room about 3 feet from my couch. Are these too loud for that application? Right now I'm using an ATI BubbleMaster 200.

Thanks

james734
07/13/2007, 02:15 PM
Mines in the garage so I cannot not comment on the noise. But from what I've experienced so far it's pretty quite except for the noise of the output. Of course I had to plumb mine outside of the sump and put a 90o and a Tee in it. So I get's some splashing sounds. Other than that you don't hear the sucking of air or anything.

Some might argue why you're wanting to swap out the BubbleMaster tough. I thought those where great skimmers.

Freds
07/13/2007, 04:22 PM
They are but the ATI BM 200 is too much for a 90 gallon tank. The new 160 costs more than the 200 does! (Low dollar to the Euro)

chris4869
07/13/2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks cap1956.

I have the EV-180 with the Eheim 1262 pump, and it's dialed in. I just want to see if the 1" injector makes that much of a difference. For $10, I guess I can find out myself. =)

Freds
07/14/2007, 02:13 PM
chris4869 I'm interested to see how that does. I was thinking of the same setup. These skimmers remind me of "baby becketts" but I'm still curious what the air draw is. Anyone ever hookup a dwyer air meter to one? My NWs , and I've had a LOT of them, pull huge amounts of air but do not process very much water. I think it's better to process more water per hour, if even with less efficiency than to super process a small amount of water.

chris4869
07/16/2007, 09:49 AM
I have the 1" injector installed, but unfortunately it's not being used at the moment.

I'm currently treating my new 2 month old tank with red slime remover, and I can't turn on my pump. The cyano bacteria migrated over on rocks from an old tank that was running skimmerless for a while (broken return pump). I have to wait until the chemical is completely removed from the system before I can guage the difference. The chemical is causing the protein skimmer to go crazy at the moment. This is only day 2 of 4.

I'll post my findings after I perform a couple of water changes.

Freds, I don't know if hooking up a dwyer air meter will do us any good, since most of us run our protein skimmer with restricted air flow. Too much air produces big bubbles.

By the way... The Eheim 1262 came with a 1" output nozzle, so you really don't need to get an adapter unlike the 3/4" injector.

chase33
08/04/2007, 02:29 PM
I'm not satisfied with the performance of my ev 180 skimmer though it may be due to needed cleaning. How should I clean it? Other than wiping the neck, cup and cleaning the air and water injectors, I assume I just empty and rinse it out a few times. Is there any other way to clean the inside of the skimmer?

moumda
08/05/2007, 09:30 PM
The only way I could get my 180 to produce was to replace the mag 7 with a mag 9. If you leave the air valve wide open your skimmer will flood. I just pinch back on my air valve until I get the skimmate I want. I would imagine you could do the same thing by pinching back on the water but I don't have a vavle on my pump outlet so I can't test that. The 180 really performs with a mag 9. Best of luck.

moumda
08/05/2007, 09:30 PM
double post, sorry.

dja1980
08/06/2007, 11:11 AM
Yesterday, I tee’d my Remora skimmer off of the Mag 3 in my sump to in an effort to reduce noise. My plan was to upgrade to a Mag 5 since the return pump would now be shared, but I wanted to hook it up to the Mag 3 first to make sure I could make the plumbing fit before ordering the new pump. It fit great, but I’ve got so much foam, now, that my collection cup was completely filled with water within 8 hours (collection cup set at the same height as when I was using the MJ1200 that came with it).

I’m trying to figure out why so much foam is being produced. The only thing I can think of is that, since the skimmer is new, that it finished it’s “break-in cycle” the same time that I made the change, but that would be pretty coincidental. The MJ1200 that came with the skimmer was only rated at 295GPH. The Mag 3 is rated at 350GPH, but since I’m sending, maybe, 100GPH of that back to the display (I’ve got a ball-valve choking it down), the skimmer should only be getting around 250GPH. This is why I thought I would need to upgrade to the Mag 5.

Any thoughts? The Mag 3 returns water to the display through ½”ID tubing, which is tee’d as close as possible to the pump. The tee sends water through 18 inches of 3/8”ID tubing (looped) using those quick-disconnect fittings at the tee and at the skimmer.

Too much foam would indicate too much flow, right? I made some adjustments this morning unchoking the ball-valve a bit more to allow more water from the pump back to the display, and I raised the collection cup to its highest position. I’m thinking that if I can get it dialed in, the Mag 3 might be big enough unless my thinking is backwards.

Has anyone else had problems with too much foam on their Remora? This is a good thing if I can prevent the collection cup with filling up with water, right?

http://www.dhtankinsurance.com/other_images/sump%20diagram.jpg

http://www.dhtankinsurance.com/other_images/sump%20shop.jpg

pogodzib
08/06/2007, 02:02 PM
For those of you with a AquaC EV-120/180/240, does the skimmer have an acrylic tube attached to the internal platform below the injector? I have a EV-150 and it doesn't have the tube, but I have been told that a EV-400 has a tube. I'm wondering if adding a tube will improve the skimmer's performance.

Regarding the Remora and Mag 3, I've heard of some people using an un-valved Mag 3 on a standard Remora and they say that it works really good and isn't too powerful. The MJ1200 is a great POWERHEAD, but it doesn't handle head too well. I think the max head is only around 5.5' for a MJ1200, whereas a Mag 3 is around 11'. I think the injector alone adds a couple feet of head pressure so even after diverting 100gpm of water, you are probably pumping more water through the skimmer using the Mag 3 instead of the MJ1200.

KAiNE
08/06/2007, 02:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10493053#post10493053 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pogodzib
For those of you with a AquaC EV-120/180/240, does the skimmer have an acrylic tube attached to the internal platform below the injector?

EV-240 about 3 years old - mine has a tube.

dja1980
08/06/2007, 02:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10493053#post10493053 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pogodzib
Regarding the Remora and Mag 3, I've heard of some people using an un-valved Mag 3 on a standard Remora and they say that it works really good and isn't too powerful. The MJ1200 is a great POWERHEAD, but it doesn't handle head too well. I think the max head is only around 5.5' for a MJ1200, whereas a Mag 3 is around 11'. I think the injector alone adds a couple feet of head pressure so even after diverting 100gpm of water, you are probably pumping more water through the skimmer using the Mag 3 instead of the MJ1200.
Good call on the head... I didn't even think about that aspect of it. I was just thinking in terms of GPH. I'll do more tinkering when I get home if I have a collection cup full of water again, but I can't raise the collection cup any higher than it already is. I am correct in that more flow = more foam, right? My other thought was that I'm getting more foam because I decreased flow, therefore making larger bubbles, which are overflowing my collection cup. I hope this is not the case.

pogodzib
08/06/2007, 03:02 PM
dja1980 - Yes, in the AquaC line of skimmers, typically the more flow = more foam.

pogodzib
08/06/2007, 03:50 PM
Deleted

dja1980
08/07/2007, 08:32 AM
Things are looking better since I made the adjustments yesterday morning.

FWIW, this is my first skimmer, so I'm still learning about these things.

24 hours later… Is this what the skimmate is supposed to look like, or is it still too wet? There’s probably another inch or so in there below the skimmer body that you can’t see:
http://www.dhtankinsurance.com/other_images/24%20hours.jpg

pogodzib
08/07/2007, 12:31 PM
Looks a little wet still to me, but not bad. If you skim too dry with the Remora, the neck fills up with gunk awfully quickly.

dja1980
08/07/2007, 02:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10499803#post10499803 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pogodzib
Looks a little wet still to me, but not bad. If you skim too dry with the Remora, the neck fills up with gunk awfully quickly.
Ah, good to know. I might reduce flow a bit more tonight and see what happens. The skimmer is still new and has only been running for about 5 days, so I'm sure it's going to fluctuate a bit for a little while. I just want to make sure I know what I'm looking for as far as good skimmate is concerned. Thanks for your help!

pogodzib
08/09/2007, 02:37 PM
Due to every mod I can possibly think of, and then some, my skimmer (EV-150) is skimming like crazy, but I wish the neck was taller. Has anyone done a DIY neck extension for an EV series skimmer? If so, how did they do it?

bureau13
08/09/2007, 02:48 PM
I think somewhere, possibly in the middle of this thread, there was a picture of several customized EV skimmers. I think I've seen both shorter and longer than standard necks. They may have been customized by AquaC themselves however, I don't know that they were DIY.

jds

pogodzib
08/09/2007, 03:56 PM
I've seen pics of some that have been done custom by AquaC, but not any DIY. I've thought about having AquaC create an extension that I can install between the existing riser and collection cup, but don't know that I want to go that route.

Roger928
08/09/2007, 04:29 PM
Skimmer production depends on a lot of variables such as bio-load, sg, etc... The pic from 'mario8402" shows a highly concentrated sludge in the cup and around the edges. If the cup can be lowered you will get a more volume but a thinner mix. A system with one fish (or a low bio-load) obviously doesn't have the DOC density to keep producing large amounts a skimate. Think about putting that gunk back in your tank. Yuck!

As the skimmer matures the amount of bubbles will be reduced, and the skimate production will vary with the available DOC. It does take a bit of time and some adjustment of the collection cup to achieve the level of skimate denisty you're looking for.

I use both the Remora Pro and the Urchin Pro and love them. They both produce really nasty stuff with, the standard pumps. Best of all: No venturies to tweak, no ball or gate valves to adjust, no water level fussing.

Limited, yes. But still a great product.

Good luck.

moumda
08/09/2007, 07:47 PM
I talked to Aqua-c and they said they could make the neck any height you wanted. I think it was like $25. I didn't do it but it sounds like a good deal.

moumda
08/09/2007, 07:48 PM
I talked to Aqua-c and they said they could make the neck any height you wanted. I think it was like $25. I didn't do it but it sounds like a good deal.

evoracer
08/09/2007, 09:32 PM
I am going to Reef-A-Palooza next weekend in Southern California and Aqua-C is supposed to have a booth there. I plan on grilling him about proper setup and possible modifications. Any questions anyone wants answers to?

TheMorayMan
08/10/2007, 01:49 PM
Has anybody did an elbow mod to the gate valve? I Have to fit it in my sump works pretty good. Anybody else done this?

chris4869
08/10/2007, 06:53 PM
I'd added an elbow mod to the gate valve before. It reduced alot of the noises and the splashing. The only drawback to it was that it caused a little of backpressure.

I've discovered that the protein skimmer works best when there is a lot of pressure going through the injector with the least amount of backpressure at the gate valve. I can restrict the air intake and I'm able to get more finer bubbles that way.

chris4869
08/10/2007, 08:22 PM
Here is an update to my EV-180 with a 1" injector.

I've been running my protein with a 1" injector for over three weeks now. I ran it the first two weeks with the recommended water level and had a very, very, very small increase in skimming. It's nothing great to write about. I got a big boost in pressure with the bigger injector, so I had to install a ball valve to lower the water level in the protein skimmer.

Now here is the interesting part to my experiment. I wanted really fine bubbles and I want as much of it as I can get. I achieved it by restricting the air intake to the point where it's almost closed. It's nothing new to us. I removed the gate valve to reduce the backpressure. Thanks guys for the idea. I RAISED the water level to 1.5 inch below the collection cup. I now have water almost 80% filled up in the foam tower. I know it sounds crazy, but my protein skimmer is in a sump, and I'm not worrying about overflow. It's so much easier to adjust the air intake when you can see the water and the size of the bubbles in the foam tower. I adjust (restricting) it to the point where I can only see fine bubbles and lots of them. It's almost like a snow storm, but only with really fine bubbles. If I restrict the air intake too much, I get only a few big bubbles and then no bubble at all.

I thought the little amount of skimmate I've been getting was because of my light bioload and a new tank setup, but was I wrong. It used to take me a few days to collect enough skimmate to flow down the drain line. After I raised the water level above the recommended line, and choke the air intake, the collection cup fills up in 6-7 hours. I wonder how fast it'll be if I have a medium to high bioload. The skimmate is a little wet and has the color of light coffee.

I think the 1" injector produced a higher water pressure going into the protein skimmer. I can only guess that the extra pressure helps reduced the bubble size, and the higher water level gives the bubbles more contact time with the water. It's a little wetter than before because the foam have less room to condense, but the consistency of the foam is a little different.

I'm pleased with the result, and I think I'll keep it that way.

Can someone try it with their EV protein skimmer let us know of the result?

ShapeGSX
08/11/2007, 08:52 AM
I have an EV120 that is raised above my sump, and it is being driven by a Mag 7. I chose the Mag 7 despite the fact that a Mag 5 is recommended because the outlet of the skimmer is about 19" to 20" above the pump.

I'm having a really hard time getting the EV120 to skim well. I've had it for years, and I've never gotten it to skim very well.

I have uploaded some pictures of my setup here (critiques welcome):
http://flickr.com/photos/shapegsx/sets/72157601366757298/

I started reading this thread, and I saw that some people have gotten their AquaC skimmers to perform really well. But following the thread got really confusing. :)

Any tips for an EV120 owner? As you can see from the pictures, I don't mind doing modifications.

One change I've been considering is using flexible tubing to run from the pump up to the skimmer inlet, which should provide less head pressure than my hard setup with multiple right angles.

TheMorayMan
08/11/2007, 10:57 AM
Yea ShapeGSX, WHere is CaptainCoral When you need him, I need some suggestions on fine tuning adjustments for my EV-120, or if anybody else can hwlp me out.

ShapeGSX
08/11/2007, 12:36 PM
Ok, I just read the new AquaC manual for my EV120. It is very different from the manual I received with my EV120 back in 2003. The biggest change is that they now recommend that you run the skimmer with the water level at the top of the box instead of below the platform.

I adjusted the water to this level, and we will see what happens. I'm also heading out to get some 3/4" tubing to eliminate the 2 90 degree bends in my piping (even though they are 1").

moumda
08/12/2007, 04:53 AM
ShapeGSX, I run a 180 off a mag 9 and it works well for me. The overflow from the tank goes into a ples box that the mag 9 is in so I get all surface water from the tank to my skimmer. I use flex tubing that is about 2 feet long from the skimmer to the pump. I removed the gate valve all together and just let the skimmer overflow into the sump. I control the amount of skimmate and the color by pinching off the air valve. I can go from dark brown skimmate to clear water just by adjusting the air valve. My tank has a medium bio load and the skimmer fills to the overflow in about 8-10 hours. I have to clean the skimmer every 2-3 days because of gunk buildup in the neck. This keeps my skimmate a constant color (coffee like). Once I have my air valve set I seldom have to adjust as long as I keep up on my skimmer cleaning. I hope this helps you. IMO these skimmers work quite well once you modify them by getting a bigger than recommended pump.

Pacific Reefs
08/12/2007, 06:30 AM
Just got my EV180 w/Mag7 on my 92g. This is less than 24hrs breaking in. I will be changing my sump design so the raw water from the tank meets the Mag7 first. Thanks for the tips on this thread guys.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/PacReef/aquac2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/PacReef/aquac1.jpg

ShapeGSX
08/12/2007, 07:05 AM
I replaced the tubing on my EV120. Now I have some black plastic tubing going up to the skimmer in a gentle curve.

The issue I seem to have is that the bubbles are not uniform in the tube. About 1/3 of the way up the tube, the bubbles start to get larger. By 2/3 of the way up the tube, the bubbles can be as big as the tube itself. This means that the bubbles are pushed up into the collection cup only rarely.

If I want finer bubbles, and wetter skimmate, how should I adjust the skimmer? Less air? More air? The air valve is probably 2/3 open right now.

Matt Rise
08/12/2007, 08:44 AM
I would take the 90* fitting off of the output. Also, I don't think the Mag7 is strong enough to drive it with the length of plumbing you have.

ShapeGSX
08/12/2007, 02:42 PM
Here is an illustration of my issue:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shapegsx/sets/72157601392393610/

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1223/1096660682_7b05b719e0_o.jpg

The bubbles are fine at the bottom of the column. But they rapidly become larger as they go up the column. At the top of the column, the bubbles are smaller and darker colored, and the bubbles stay formed. This is the stuff that should be skimmed away! But it never makes it up into the cup!

Changing the air valve makes very little difference.

What's going on here?

Matt Rise
08/12/2007, 03:00 PM
From the pic, it appears the air valve is wide open. I would close it about 50% and wait a few days. Worked for me, I was having similar problems with mine. Now it works extremely well.

TheMorayMan
08/12/2007, 06:31 PM
HELP!!! LOL I Have the EV-120 With the Mag 5, SHould i remove the elbow on the gate valve and not use the gate valve at all and just use the air intake or leave the elbow and Gate on? THe Skimmer is Stock, but its not getting the aqua C braggin Rights Yet! ASAP Thnks

crystl
08/12/2007, 06:59 PM
i dont post here much i mostly just browse but recently i picked up a ev -120 to run on a 90 gallon tank..at the time i couldn't pass up the deal on this skimmer ...now since i have gotten a 90 gallon tank im wanting to use the ev-120 but im not sure if its going to be underpowered...im wondering what all you ev owners think....will the ev-120 be enough to skim my 90 gallon?

i still need a pump to run this skimmer i know aquac recommends the mag 5 but im looking at the something stronger....maybe you ev owners could recommend another pump...

my build thread (http://www.reefmonkey.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9043&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

TheMorayMan
08/12/2007, 07:05 PM
Iwaki Pump...if you want power then get the external pump, i think its the Iwaki 20 RLT

pogodzib
08/13/2007, 07:56 AM
I have an EV-150 that I have severely modded so that it operated more like a EV-180 with the 1" injector. In order to get the fines bubbles and greatest control of the skimmate amount and thickness, shut the air all the way off and adjust the water level in your skimmer's riser tube to just below (1/4") the top of the skimmer box. Then turn the air all the way back on and adjust the outlet gate valve slightly, waiting a couple minutes in between to obtain the smallest bubbles in the bottom half of the riser tube. The probably won't need to adjust the gate valve more than a 1/4 turn in either direction. Don't worry too much about what is happening up higher in the tube as the skimmate may take a little time to work its way up there since it hasn't been up there recently. Once you have the outlet gate valve adjusted to obtain the optimum water level, all you should need to do to control the skimmate amount is adjust the air valve. A slight adjustment to the air valve can change your skimmate from dry to overflowing so only adjust the air valve very slightly and give it several hours before adjusting again. For my EV-150, I have used Mag 9.5 and Mag 12 pumps on it. My guess is that a Mag 7 would be the smallest pump you would want to use on the EV-120, but it should still work. Upsizing the pump should help though and if you want to spend the money, many people are having the best results with Eheim pumps.

Here's a pic from when I was first adjusting my skimmer. The skimmate in the cup is still a little wet, but it was only about 6 hours of skimmate and there was a little skimmate in the bucket as well.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/pogodzib/mini-IMG_1365.jpg

ShapeGSX
08/13/2007, 08:05 AM
Will the 1" injector work with the EV120? I would think that using 1" hose might help.

This is my second pump for this skimmer. I had the Mag 5 at first. Now I have the Mag 7. The thought of upgrading pumps again makes me cringe. :( Besides, my sump only has a 1/2" bulkhead for the pump. Ugh.

pogodzib
08/13/2007, 09:28 AM
You should be able to get some skimmate out of the EV-120 using the Mag 7, but you'll get more using the next size larger pump. When I put the 1" injector w/ 1" hose on my EV-150, I noticed a fairly large increase in the flow rate through the skimmer, so I would say yes, it would be worth it.

ShapeGSX
08/13/2007, 09:51 AM
It looks as if I might get ~40GPH out of switching to 1" hose.

With 0.75" hose, the calculator says I get 536GPH. With 1" hose, it says I get 575.

Is the 1" injector physically larger than the 0.75" injector, or is it just the 90 degree bend that is larger?

pogodzib
08/13/2007, 10:19 AM
It's just the hose connector (both inside and outside diameters) and 90 degree bend that's larger. The threads going into the skimmer body is the same. I've ran my skimmer using a 1" hose connected into the original 3/4" injector prior to upsizing the injector and IMO the upsized injector made as much or more of a difference for flow than the larger hose. If you are trying to compute head loss through the injector, keep in mind that the 1" injector has an inside diameter of approx 3/4", whereas the 3/4" injector has an inside diam of 1/2" so you can't just figure the difference between 1" and 3/4" 90 degree bends. Plus the crimped injector adds a few head of head loss.

ShapeGSX
08/13/2007, 10:24 AM
Ok, I'll try the 1" injector first. The fact that the 3/4" injector is really only 1/2" inside didn't occur to me.

My return pump happens to be a Mag 950. So if the 1" injector and 1" hose doesn't make the difference, I may try the Mag 950 as an experiment.

The other possibility is to lower the skimmer. But that would mean cutting another hole in my glass fish tank sump. It was scary enough to do it the first time (TWICE!). :)

pogodzib, what pump do you use?

pogodzib
08/13/2007, 10:51 AM
If you lower the skimmer, make sure that you keep the outlet pipe above the existing water surface. Over this past weekend, I made a 3" DIY riser section out of PVC and have re-installed my Mag 12 on the skimmer to see if I can get even better results. I get tiny bubbles all the way through the main riser section and it just seems like with the Mag 12 pump that a taller riser tube should improve the skimmer. Otherwise, I've been using a Mag 9.5

ShapeGSX
08/13/2007, 02:12 PM
My 1" injector is on its way. Steve at AquaC was very helpful in diagnosing. I'll be interested to see if it makes a difference.

If it does not, I will move the skimmer or the pump.

JenDub
08/13/2007, 05:26 PM
Hello to all, I'm running an ev400 with a 1" injector & mag24. I tuned the skimmer by adjusting the gate valve to bring the water line to the top of the box (air completely shut off) and then opened the ball valve about 2/3 of the way.

It seems really turbulent at the top of the water in the neck and I'm not getting any skimmate/foam column. Any tips?

ps- the skimmer is used and has been broken in on my system for a week

Waxxiemann
08/13/2007, 05:30 PM
Sounds like you got everything ok. I'd maybe wait and see. What's the bio load like?

chase33
08/13/2007, 07:31 PM
Wow! A mag 24 on a skimmer. I'm suprised it doesn't blow the skimmer out of the water.

JenDub
08/13/2007, 08:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10545666#post10545666 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Waxxiemann
Sounds like you got everything ok. I'd maybe wait and see. What's the bio load like?

It's 480g with about 100lbs of live rock and not much else for now (new system). I was having the same issue on my established 170g system. On the 170g I got a foam head going but it was never enough to reach the cup and every time it got close it seemed to collapse from our daily maintenance & feeding. The euroreef 8-3 was pulling a pitcher of iced tea out of the 170 every week...

I noticed the clear neck extends down into the box and inch or so; is the "top of the box" the bottom of the clear tube inside or is it the top of the outer box where the clear tube attaches if looking in?

Should the foam level start about 1/3 up the neck? Seems low to me...

chase33
08/13/2007, 09:19 PM
I'm no expert not by any means as I just got mine dialed in after many months of anguish. I would slowly dial it down by turning the gate valve. You can see when the water level in the tower decreases (also I kept my air valve 3/4 of the way open). As soon as you see it dip below the tower and into the box stop dialing it down and wait a day or so to see if the foam rises. If the foam doesn't rise high enough dial down the gate valve a little more and wait again. I can't guarantee but this is what worked for me after months of playing with the thing. Hope it works for you too.

JenDub
08/13/2007, 09:47 PM
So are you saying a little too low is better than a little to high? That would make sense since the skimmer needs the air gap...

Thanks!

chase33
08/13/2007, 10:09 PM
For whatever reason that is what worked for me. I did that and at first I had the air closed almost all the way. After a couple of hours I opened it to about 3/4 of the way and the tower has been full of foam ever since. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though.

moumda
08/14/2007, 05:37 PM
IMO, my skimmer works better the more air I have. I can't open the air valve all the way cause it causes a flood but I keep it as open as I can. I took the valve off the side of the skimmer altogether. I've been thinking of but a quality ball valve and installing it on the output of my pump. That way I could open the air valve up all the way and control the skimmate by restricting the water flow into the skimmer. What do you guys think?

TheMorayMan
08/14/2007, 07:30 PM
SHould I take THe Gate valve off my EV-120? I think the elbow is messing with the skimmate, and i need the elbow on it to fit it in the sump, so shud i take it off all toghter?

pogodzib
08/15/2007, 07:59 AM
Moumda - I prefer to leave the pump at full blast unless you can't keep the water level below the top of the skimmer box and adjust the air valve to control the skimmate thickness. With the AquaC skimmers, the more flow through the injector, the more air that gets sucked into the skimmer body. By cutting back the flow and leaving the air valve wide open, you won't get any more air than leaving the valve wide open and restricting the flow.

TheMorayMan - Unless your pump is too powerfull that you can't keep the water level below the top of the skimmer box, I don't see any reason why it would be beneficial to take it off.

TheMorayMan
08/15/2007, 09:56 AM
my water level is in the damn tower, half water and half foam in the tower, is this wrong?

gcarroll
08/15/2007, 10:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10557870#post10557870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheMorayMan
my water level is in the damn tower, half water and half foam in the tower, is this wrong? Yep, it should be in the black box when the air valve is off.

TheMorayMan
08/15/2007, 12:18 PM
well air off or on it is in the foam tower

TheMorayMan
08/15/2007, 12:19 PM
well air off or on it is in the foam tower so thats bad

JenDub
08/15/2007, 09:59 PM
Is your ozone port plugged?

gcarroll
08/16/2007, 12:06 AM
EV120 does not have a an ozone port unless it was a custom add-on.

TheMorayMan
08/16/2007, 01:05 PM
yea i had it put on, i have my CA Reactor hooked up through it

TheMorayMan
08/16/2007, 01:07 PM
i took off my gate valve and now adjust it throught the air valve, works better, that stupid elbow created too much backpressure, i mite jus directly silicone the gate valve to the skimmer, because with the little nipple attachment, it wont fit

JenDub
08/17/2007, 04:39 AM
I'm a little confused as to what the advantages of having a large foam tower are. Seems like the foam should be skimmed out asap rather than letting it stand in the chamber and risking a foam collapse when you touch the tank.

I'm still hoping my skimmer will produce something, my euroreef has pulled another pitcher in the meantime.

Is this a skimmer for people who don't put hands in their water much? Maybe it was the wrong choice for a working tank...

ShapeGSX
08/17/2007, 09:32 AM
Well, the 1" injector has definitely helped matters.

I now have a Mag 7 being fed by a 1/2" input. The output is 1/2" on the pump, but gets stepped up to a 1" hose barb. This feeds a 1" flexible plastic hose that goes directly to the EV120 skimmer.

Now the bubbles start getting bigger higher in the tower than before. But it still doesn't seem to be skimming as well as I had hoped.

I think my next step may be to upgrade the pump inlet from 1/2" to 3/4". There is one right angle on my pump's inlet, and upping that to 3/4" may provide the boost it needs.

After that, I may upgrade the bulkhead in my sump to 3/4" (which I would have to do before upgrading the pump, anyway). That is going to be a major, pain, of course, since the sump is glass. :(

chris4869
08/17/2007, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10572101#post10572101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JenDub
I'm a little confused as to what the advantages of having a large foam tower are. Seems like the foam should be skimmed out asap rather than letting it stand in the chamber and risking a foam collapse when you touch the tank.

I'm still hoping my skimmer will produce something, my euroreef has pulled another pitcher in the meantime.

Is this a skimmer for people who don't put hands in their water much? Maybe it was the wrong choice for a working tank...

My thought exactly. I find that if you have a larger foam tower, you'll get a dryer skimmate, but you also risk having it collapse back into the water. Your Euroreef foam doesn't callapse when you put your hand in the tank?

I've been running my EV-180 with the water level set to 1 inch below the collection cup, and I'm really happy with the result. There's only 1 inch of foam space before it gets blown into the collection cup. The foam tower is now being used to increase the bubbles and water contact time. I was able to restrict the intake air even further to get smaller bubbles. I've tried it before when the water level was set at the top of the black box, and it hinder the foam production. The only difference between now and then is the 1 inch injector.

ShapeGSX
08/18/2007, 12:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10573326#post10573326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ShapeGSX

I think my next step may be to upgrade the pump inlet from 1/2" to 3/4". There is one right angle on my pump's inlet, and upping that to 3/4" may provide the boost it needs.

I ended up doing this with the largest most gradual 3/4" elbow I could find. I ported all of the 1/2" connections out with my dremel to get more flow. I even made the 3/4" pipe in the system taper to avoid turbulence (must be the car guy in me). And I made sure that I got rid of any PVC cement that had squeezed into the water flow area.

As soon as I turned it on, I saw it was different. The bubbles were already halfway up the chamber within minutes.

Now it is skimming VERY WELL!

The small bubbles go almost all the way up the main cylinder. I'm finally skimming wet with this thing!

So the 1/2" right angle PVC pipe I had on the inlet of the pump was restricting it big time.

JenDub
08/19/2007, 08:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Well I spoke with Jason at RAP and told him the issue I was having with putting my hands in the tank too much. He recommended that I set the water column at 3" up the neck and then add air. So far this looks pretty promising as the skimmer has started to pull gunk out.

I think I', gonna turn my 120 into an sps tank and put this skimmer on there, I've never seen the water in that tank as crystal clear as it was when I was running this skimmer!

BTW- Have you guys seen the new square AquaC Calcium reactor? It is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Screw on lid & reverse flow and it has a small footprint & short hieght so it can fit anywhere. The square makes it hold the same amount of media as a reactor double the height. This will definitely be my next purchase!

Pacific Reefs
08/19/2007, 09:23 PM
I will have to check out that calcium reactor...didn't know Aqua C made one.