PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Tech Lighting

tenpercenter
03/10/2007, 11:38 AM
Hello Everyone-

I started to build the stand/canopy for my new 120 tech tank this morning. What I failed to do before ordering equipment was measure the width of the opening on top of the tank. Turns out I am way short of getting the Luminarc HQI Stealth reflectors and the 4 T5 (IceCap) reflectors over the tank. So what should I do?

Three options I can think of are:

1) Stagger the t5 reflector heights and aim the reflectors into the tank opening. Seems to waste some light.

2) Just run 2 of the t5's. Limits my options of bulbs.

3) Scrap the t5's all together and use VHO for actinic supplementation.

Am I leaving out a reasonable options. Anyone else been in this position before. Any input would be great.

Thanks,

TenPercenter

JGross4
03/11/2007, 10:09 AM
Hey Tenpercenter,

I just order a 70 (36x18x25") gallon oceanic tech tank, and am going to be running a similar lighting setup. I am going to run a single 250 watt DE Reef Optix III and 4x39 Tek T5 retros with reflectors. I, like you, ordered all the lighting stuff without realizing the opening in the top would be a good bit smaller than the width of the tank itself.

So in order to keep all the lighting i decided to set the T5's at a angle inward with respect to the horizontal. I looked at some very high priced lighting systems, and some of them infact angle the T5's, that is were i got the idea (one brand in particular, i think....Soligi, or something like that, dont remember how to spell it, but they are very very nice systems).

Any way this is how i am going to set mine up (attached, open with word):

This is a side view of what i mean, not really sure on all the exact angles and stuff, but it should work, provide excellent light( fewer dark spots with angled lighting) and wouldnt be that hard to build:

I know the stealth reflector is slightly wider than the Reef Optix III, but your tank is also wider aswell. Anyway, hope this helps, and i would definitely be interested in hearing what you decide to go with. My tank should be here anyday now, so i'll keep you posted on my design and progress if youre interested.

JGross4
03/11/2007, 10:16 AM
http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/Sfiligoi/sfiligoi.htm

Here's the link to the company that makes the fixtures with angled T5's, they are super super nice, i have seen tanks with them and they look amazing!

d4a2n0k
03/11/2007, 11:03 AM
I used to run 2 x 250w in Lumenarc Minis and 2 x 110w VHO actinics over my old AGA 120. It was a good combination and was able to keep SPS and clams anywhere in the tank.

The Lumenarcs are worth the amount of real estate they take up. What Im saying is dont skimp on the MH reflectors just to be able to squeeze 4 x T5's over the tank.

I think if you go with 2 x VHOs or 2 x T5's and the Lumenarcs, you will be very happy. I am now running the T5 UVL Super Actinics over a new tank in a Maristar fixture and still prefer the VHO Super Actinics. The T5's are ALMOST there but still think you get a bit more pop out of the VHO Super Actinics.

tenpercenter
03/11/2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks. I ordered a set of URI VHO's this morning. I think I will end up keeping the t5's just to try at some point. I read enough threads talking about the pop of the VHO bulbs and decided this would be the best choice. We will see.

Thanks again,

TenPercenter