PDA

View Full Version : Crocea

dallascwbyz
03/10/2007, 02:18 PM
I bought a nice electric Blue Crocea the other day, and acclimated it before I put him in the tank. His mantle looks more grey than it did at the LFS. The Blue is still there, but mostly just in the patterns as opposed to entire mantle. Is this part of him acclimating himself? I have a 125G tank and am running 2x175w XM MHs. He is very open and responds to stimuli quickly. The bulbs are 20K. Is this temp ok for Croceas? Thank you in advance.

a4twenty
03/10/2007, 03:50 PM
here is a link (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1035826) to a lighting requirement thread for keeping clams.

can you post a picture of your clam?
where in the tank is he? ( depth )
how old are your bulbs?

you should try to keep your clam well in the top half of the tank so he can get lots of light. your lights are on the lower end of the scale for keeping a crocea clam and the 20k bulbs only produce about half the PAR of a 10k bulb.

clams can look different through different glass and under different lighting conditions. does he look different than when you first got him home or from the LFS?

dallascwbyz
03/13/2007, 06:17 AM
Sorry no pic at the moment. He looks different from when he was in the LFS, not any different day to day while he has been in the tank. I think it may be partially the glass because he is surely much brighter while looking down through the water as opposed to through the glass. Right now he is towards the bottom, so I will him move him closer to the top to ensure he is getting enough light. I'd rather not have him attach to one of the bigger pieces of LR in case I reaquascape the tank. Do you think he would attach to a small flat piece of LR just somewhat bigger than he is? In case I want to move him?

dallascwbyz
03/13/2007, 06:17 AM
Oh and the Bulbs are about 5 months old. Thanx

a4twenty
03/13/2007, 02:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9463321#post9463321 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dallascwbyz
He looks different from when he was in the LFS, not any different day to day while he has been in the tank. I think it may be partially the glass because he is surely much brighter while looking down through the water as opposed to through the glass.

yeah, calms will look quite different through regular glass and low iron glass ( starphire etc. ) and they always look better from above. lots of LFS's keep their clams in shallow tanks so that you are looking straight down on them when you buy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9463321#post9463321 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dallascwbyz
Do you think he would attach to a small flat piece of LR just somewhat bigger than he is? In case I want to move him?

yes definitely, that is how most of us do it. if you partially bury a small rock in the sand then place the clam on top he should attach in a few days. this will allow you to move him around as you like. he may not stay where you move him but it at least allows you to move him with no hassle.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9463323#post9463323 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dallascwbyz
Oh and the Bulbs are about 5 months old. Thanx

i'm not sure if you know this but 20K bulbs really start to lose PAR ( available light ) after 6 months and need to be replaced. 10k bulbs usually last about 1 year and the 14K somewhere in the middle. just something to think about :)

HTH

dallascwbyz
03/13/2007, 03:53 PM
I appreciate all the info thank you.