PDA

View Full Version : SCWD (Squid). Good or Bad?

PuffersKick
03/10/2007, 02:40 PM
I bought one of these with the intention of installing for my Mag 18 to get some of the "wave" action for my 150 reef. I have two returns split off that the mag is supplying.

But now I've read where they significantly reduce to flow power from the pump and are thus are not good for a return?

Is that true? Should I use this thing or not?

atvdave
03/10/2007, 02:53 PM
Yes they do reduce your GPH flow quite a bit. I have 2 of then running in my tank. I have 2 mag 12's running them. I also have 2 6045 modded Tunze's to help with flow inside the tank.

I really like the flow patterns I get with the SCWD's and the tunze's. I have no complaints with the SQWD's and some people have even found a way to mod them as well. The thing you must remember when using a SQWD is to get a large enough pump to drive them. Just figure out what your looking for in GPH with normal head loss and add about 30% to that if using a SQWD.

Mine do good in my tank.

heres a pic. I have mine in the tank...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/56970tankshot1.jpg

davocean
03/10/2007, 03:21 PM
A scwd is a cheap way to achieve wave action.
They work, but reduce flow a great deal.
Some have had good luck w/ them, but I read so many negs on them I decided not to use one.
Oceanmotions squirt would be a better way to go if you can afford it.

fisheebill
03/10/2007, 03:24 PM
I had one, it quit working after about a year.
The oceansmotions seem better.

sjm817
03/10/2007, 03:26 PM
I had 3 of them.
They reduce flow A LOT more than they state
Have anemic 3/8" ports
Are not reliable
Are not serviceable

OM Squirt is night and day a better product

roader247
03/10/2007, 03:27 PM
I had one on my return on my 75 before I took it down to do some remodeling they do reduce the flow but as long as you have enough pump to keep up with the water coming down to your sump it will work fine Good Luck

Mark

fat-tony
03/10/2007, 07:20 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=815716

here's one I did. The holes were all enlarged to 1" PCV.