PDA

View Full Version : sps peeling off skin

asmodeus
03/10/2007, 06:08 PM
Well Im in the down end and thinking of getting rid of most the the SPS that I have. It seems that i can't keep a damn corals that is SPS I have reefing since 2001 and now with this 65 that i have I'm loosing alot f onice SPS. I hae a few like the hrder ones are staying the easy ones are dying,
I have milli's with purple tips doing great
purple tip acros doing great
tri color doing good
purple acros's doing good.
hummlus dying
red milli dying
blue milli dead
light blue acros all dead.
green milli looks like its on its way out.

Calcium 400
magnesium 1300
ALk 8.5DKH
temp 78F
Salinity 1.024-5
I have a BB with lots of flow 94 X in the tank
dual hqi that is on from 2pm -8pm
RC 250 skimmer
water changes are done BI-weekly around 15-20 gals
4 man groves in the 75 sump
170 lbs of rock
the tank is a 65 gal mega flow.
I feed OSI flakes once per day
REEF ROIDS every 3 day if that.
So I dont know what is causing me to loose sps.

Nitrates are around 3-5 PPM if that.
no phosphates.

any idea's:(

wentreefgirl
03/10/2007, 06:14 PM
Well if I had to take a guess, its because you run a bb and you have a good skimmer and your bioload isnt enough. How many fish in there? You may need to add some or feed more. The more sterile you get, the more problems you have sometimes. Let see if anyone else comes up with something different.

asmodeus
03/10/2007, 06:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9445350#post9445350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wentreefgirl
Well if I had to take a guess, its because you run a bb and you have a good skimmer and your bioload isnt enough. How many fish in there? You may need to add some or feed more. The more sterile you get, the more problems you have sometimes. Let see if anyone else comes up with something different.

Well I have a kole tang, midas blenny, algae blenny ,leopard blenny, 2 clowns, 3 chromis, 2 linkia blue, 3 start fish orange ,red ,leopard. I also run Ozone too. Im going to be adding a bellus angel tonight to the tank.. What does not having a heavy bioload hav eto do with it I havent heard that before.

Sterile really that is news to me wierd..

thanks for the infor

reefinmike
03/10/2007, 07:00 PM
yeah, recently people with bb and super skimmers have been having problems with sps loosing color(not flesh peeling away) because lack of nitrogen based nutrients in the tank.

wentreefgirl
03/10/2007, 07:18 PM
Well you have a good bio load as far as fish so, well, im still going with a sterile tank. I didnt know about the ozone.

twon8
03/10/2007, 07:20 PM
i agree with the above, the ozone is a ?

i woudl stop running it and see what happens

PL-Reef
03/12/2007, 03:49 PM
Mike, any up dates? i hope all is getting better up there.

trueblackpercula
03/12/2007, 05:07 PM
I had the same problem read this...............
http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/c_bingman_040697.html

Ventralis321
03/12/2007, 06:20 PM
did you do any recent changes? fast changes in a reef can have disastrous effects on you corals. Like taking the po4 out too fast or taking the sand bed out if you had one previously. Cleaning your tank in spots that weren't cleaned before. Stuff like that. Or even adding too much of a new additive. you should frag the parts that are RTNing off and maybe put it in another tank for the mean time.