PDA

View Full Version : Substrate for Fish/Reef setup

Saltwater_Dog
03/10/2007, 11:49 PM
I have been having a 100 gal saltwater tank for 3yrs now. I live on an island off the coast of Louisiana and have taken advantage of the supplies I needed to stock my aquarium. I stocked the tank with sand from the Gulf of Mexico and also with Speckled Trout, which I caught in a cast net. I also never mixed my water, I use saltwater from the Gulf also, going to the same place each time I need a water change. I never had a problem with anything in the time Ive been having the tank. I plan to start a reef/fish setup with my tank and was wondering if any of you would know if I could still use sand from the Gulf as my substrate. I know I will have to mix my water due to needing it to test just right. However im just trying to cut back on cost if I can, the rock will cost me enough just looking to save some on the sand if possible.

reefworm
03/10/2007, 11:52 PM
the main caveat would be the difficulty knowing what's in the sand - this time. How sure can you be that there are no contaminants? understand the need to save costs, but...

Saltwater_Dog
03/11/2007, 12:18 AM
I see your point. Is Florida Crushed Coral a good enough substrate for what Im looking to do?:bum:

clevername
03/11/2007, 12:25 AM
i would think the sand is fine, after all your using the water correct? If there was damage to be done it would have happened.

I would say that the sand will have plenty of dieoff in your tank causing a huge ammonia spike. (you tank cannot support the thousands of animals/bacteria/plants)