PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cap Electronic HQI ballast??

cabowabo
03/11/2007, 10:22 AM
What pendants or fixtures can you run with these ballasts. Is it Ice Cap only pendants? How cool running are the ballasts?
I wish there were more options with electronic ballasts!!

Tennsquire
03/11/2007, 11:02 AM
Certainly not Ice Cap only. I have IC 250 watt electronic ballests on my ReefOptix pendants. I got them as a packaged set from Ocean Encounter (I think) several years ago and they've been problem free. They're the only MH ballests that I've ever had, so I don't have anything to compare them to. They don't get too much hotter (if at all) than the IC 660 electronic ballast that drives my actinics.

Philwd
03/11/2007, 11:33 PM
You can run any pendant. I just picked up some quick disconnects from HD and connected the ballast. Make sure to ground it either to the pendant or a known ground.

I had an older style CV eballast that had crazy electrical interference so I switched to Icecaps. I think ARO also has an electronic ballast.

DrDNA
03/12/2007, 12:18 PM
I have two 48" 2x250 DE maristar hoods that run on Icecap HQI ballasts. I would go through Reefgeek.com, they got all the stuff together for me (wiring harnesses, ballasts, and fixtures etc) and did it is one package deal.

cabowabo
03/12/2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the replies.
How much cooler do Electric ballests run than magnetics? Do they allow for a cooler running bulb as well or just the ballast?