PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing my sump, PVC question

Scottkelly911
03/11/2007, 03:36 PM
Ok, now I THINK I've got all my PVC piping and shut off valves that I'll need to plumb my sump into my display tank. My question is: How should I clean my PVC piping before plumbing it into the system. Since I got it all from Home Depot, I'd like to some how clean it before using it. Should I just let it sit in a tub of used salt water with a power head or two like I would with live rock? or should I put it all together and put it all in a tub and throw a powerhead on it to push water through it to get rid of any contaminents which might be inside the piping? Would it be best to just let it sit in fresh water and a couple powerheads? mild detergent? Am I just over thinking this and should just run a rag over the outside of the piping? Help, my OCD is kicking in :lol: Thanks for any help and letting me know what you did.

SaltyMember
03/11/2007, 06:38 PM
I don't think you need to go to any extremes to clean your PVC. I would just wipe off any visible dirt, etc. with a damp cloth and rinse the PVC and let it dry. I also filled and let my tank run overnight with tap water to test for leaks, etc. after I finished my plumbing. I am sure that helped clean the plumbing also.

Scottkelly911
03/12/2007, 12:35 PM
anyone else? WHat'd you guys do?

dkh0331
03/12/2007, 12:41 PM
I didn't do anything to mine. When I replumbed my basement sump to flex pvc, I glued it up, let it sit for an hour and was off to the races.