PDA

View Full Version : Xenia kidnapped, need help

deadeye1
03/11/2007, 06:35 PM
Greetings all,
My daughter got my old 55 gal tank when I moved up to a 120 gal reef. She has made in into a predator tank, one dwarf lionfish, one fu manchu lionfish, one snowflake eel and one lawnmower blenny (large). She has a few corals one of them being a small stalk of the hand waving Xenia. The problem is it attached to a small shell. Well that wasn't the problem. My daughter was feeding the killers one evening and noticed the Xenia was gone off the live rock. Then she caught a glimspe of it heading around another piece of liverock. Moving to fast, she took a look and found a crab had switched shells and is now wearing the shell with the Xenia on it. So far it's traveling pretty good, still waving.
My questions, Is it good for the coral or should I stop the hitchhiking. If it is bad, Do I wax the crab? or suggestions on how to separate them.
Thanks
Tony

gillianandjoe
03/11/2007, 07:18 PM
I lost a nice Kenya frag same way. I'd have the crab sleeping with the fishes.

Icefire
03/12/2007, 01:16 AM
Funny! a pics/video!

I would frag the xenia.

SitBackAndWatch
03/12/2007, 06:32 AM
i would LOVE to see a picture of that. try to post one

cdangel0
03/12/2007, 08:49 AM
Well I think she's got the beneficial "varied flow" that Xenia likes.

You could try gluing the crabs shell where you want the Xenia and then place an empty shell next to it, hopefully the crab will take the hint.

deadeye1
03/12/2007, 09:23 AM
I'll try to get my daughter to get a photo, I'm at work today and probably tomorrow. If she can't I'll get one in a few days.

kathainbowen
03/12/2007, 04:43 PM
Slice it off and reattach to another rock. Otherwise, it's just going to get all banged up and mangled. (*Speaking from experience. It's all fun and cool for a couple of days- but it'll eventually get destroyed).

syrinx
03/12/2007, 05:47 PM
I have crabs with several different corals on them including xenia. With me the worry is that its like trying a torch on a bear and sending into the woods and not expecting a forrest fire.

kathainbowen
03/12/2007, 06:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9459751#post9459751 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by syrinx
I have crabs with several different corals on them including xenia. With me the worry is that its like trying a torch on a bear and sending into the woods and not expecting a forrest fire.

Mental image is priceless!

.... sometimes, I seriously wish I could broadcast my mental images. Because I honestly have the mental image of a cartoony hermit crab running around with a stick covered in Xenia and swinging it around like a torch!

syrinx
03/12/2007, 09:20 PM
Then were on the same page.

deadeye1
03/14/2007, 06:42 PM
Well it looks like the Xeina jumped ship. When I got home after 48 hours at work it's now in a live rock crevice in the other side of the tank. I'm not sure if the shell/crab are still on the bottom of it or not, can't see down there and it hasn't moved all day. The xenia looks a little thinner, but still functioning. If the wild ride continues We'll try to get photos.
Thanks for all the help.