PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp with Shark?

boulderman1
03/11/2007, 10:30 PM
will a cleaner shrimp be ok with a bamboo shark and also a bluethroat triggerfish, i have a snowflake eel and a lionfish that both let my two cleaner shrimp clean them

and also, does anyone know if bamboo sharks are very destructive in a tank or prone to eating other fish, and do they swim much or are they boring and just sit on the bottom?

thanks

krj-1168
03/12/2007, 12:02 AM
Well - benthic sharks, by the nature feed on bottom-dwelling Inverts, including shrimp.

But generally if the cleaner shrimp are introduced before the shark, you should be fine. The shark is more likely not to see the shrimp as prey.

Truth is personally, If you get the shark - don't get the Trigger.

one of the major rules that should never be broken by any shark keeper. Never put a Shark & a trigger in the same tank. You will very likely end up eventually with a seriously injuried shark.

Also you should be cautious about putting a Lion with a shark. Another potential problem.

Bamboo sharks can potential be destructive in coral reef tanks. The do much better with Live Rock "reef" tanks. Bamboos do tend to lie around during the daytime, but at night they often swim around in the tank.

And they naturally feed on fish & inverts(worms, shrimp,crab, & squid). Still a well feed shark is unlikely to see it's tankmates as potential food.

jck3120
03/12/2007, 09:07 AM
Either of my sharks would take out a shrimp in seconds. I also have a bluethroat in my tank and it is very passive and does not touch any of my inverts or bother my sharks. They've been together for quite a while. I think it depends on the individual fish, but bluethroats are generally a more passive species of trigger. Now I had a snowflake eel with my sharks and he would get aggressive at feeding time and one day it took a bite out of one of my shark's fins. So back to the LFS he went. I hear of people keeping sharks and eels together all the time but I would be cautious, especially with the eel's poor eyesight.

the nemo guy
03/12/2007, 09:12 AM
^^^^ Like they said most sharks and triggerfish will take out the shrimp, there are cases that the shrimp and the trigger and the shark will get along ok.

alex656
03/12/2007, 08:42 PM
I agree, that shrimp would be toast as soon as the lights went out. I have kept triggers and sharks together, but the trigger had a place that he never went far from. Since they were active sharks, they never really stopped long enough to warrent his attention. But I was lucky, wouldnt reccomend triggers and sharks. Way to many horror stories.

boulderman1
03/13/2007, 09:31 AM
but i would be keeping a bluethroat trigger which is regarded as a docile species and one of the very few reef safe triggers, would that make a difference?

bignick
03/13/2007, 11:52 AM
I knew someone that kept a coral banded and a cleaner with a brown banded and the cleaner lived but the coral banded did not. I t was eaten within a week of the shark being added to the tank. So i too would imagine that the odds of survival are low but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. If you want to take the chance then give it a shot i say.