PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new resource

graveyardworm
03/12/2007, 06:55 AM
Looking to add to my library so I think a book by the Littlers is in order, is there more than one? Any suggestions? Something with info on habitat, lots of pictures, and perhaps some references to aquarium care. Does such a book exist?

Samala
03/12/2007, 09:00 AM
I havent really come across much in the way of aquarium care besides what we've been working on here. :) What is in your library now? I would almost say to wait for a book on biotopes to appear.. but I havent heard the latest on that title coming out yet. Do you have Marine Plants of the Caribbean? I'm hoping to add the latest Hawaii volume to my library.

>Sarah

graveyardworm
03/12/2007, 06:39 PM
No I dont have any books about seagrass or macros yet. I was thinking about getting Marine Plants of the Caribbean ( Littlers right? ). Amazon had two listing for the Littlers, one was paper back and the other was hardcover, and the titles were slightly different so I wasnt sure if they were two different books or not.

A book on biotopes? any idea what the title might be or author?

Samala
03/14/2007, 06:06 PM
Its in the works, the biotope one. The Littlers had "Marine Plants of the Caribbean" which is a paperback of sorts, it does have a cover to it. Great photos and some descriptions of algae photographing and pressing in the beginning.

I just recently ran across Reef Invertebrates from Calfo and Fenner, in The Natural Marine Aquarium Series. Pages 69-113 are all about marine plants, so that might be worth your while. Especially since it covers other reef inverts. :)

Goes over some of the more common macro's, some of the less common ones, has some photo IDs and suggestions for both combatting algae with mentions of herbivores and such and keeping certain desirable ones around.

>Sarah

graveyardworm
03/14/2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks Sarah, I already have the Calfo/Fenner Reef Invertebrates. Havent had a chance to read the whole thing yet though.

Plantbrain
03/15/2007, 12:47 PM
The Littler books are good, there's the larger one for the Caribbean that's excellent(90-100$ or so) Caribbean Reef Plants, then there's a South Pacific Reef plants version (50$ etc).

Please note: what is found in nature does not imply that's what's best for horticulture(that's what we do). Many hobbyists make that assumption.

I do a 3 day Macro algae collection and ID class each Summer in the Florida Keys. I use the Littler book and some old stuff from way back, all drawings and looking at salient features.

It would be nice to do an on line key that folks could reference without that much jargon, they did a similar thing for the FW plants.

Regards,
Tom Barr