PDA

View Full Version : waterchanges during cycle?

pottsburg
03/12/2007, 08:46 AM
I've read to change out water as much as possible when cycling with live rock, and I've heard not to touch it and do a few good changes after ammonia is back down to 0. Which is the best way to go?

kau_cinta_ku
03/12/2007, 08:56 AM
more water changes to keep ammonia down = more critters will survive the cycle

no water changes during the curing process = less critters will survive

either way in time most of the critters will repopulate and you'll have more than enough. either way will prob. take as long as the other to cure though

Dogfaced Puffer
03/12/2007, 09:41 AM
How much (what %) does everyone change out and on what frequency?

pottsburg
03/12/2007, 01:52 PM
yeah....

I started my tank with tap water so I'm going to be doing alot of waterchanges, 5 gallons at a time in a 46gallon tank

Medaka
03/12/2007, 02:02 PM
Just go by how high the ammonia gets (off the charts)
Or how bad it smells. LOL.

Dogfaced Puffer
03/12/2007, 02:08 PM
I mean, on a regular maintenance basis. I have a 72 with 150 total water volume. I change out about 10% (20 gal.) everyother week. I wondering if it is overkill. I never have any nitrates; it would be nice to only do it once a month.

Shagsbeard
03/12/2007, 02:12 PM
I do 5 gals per week in my 75+30 gal system. I probably should do 10... but haven't seen any ill effects from only doing 5.

Frick-n-Frags
03/12/2007, 02:21 PM
cycle the tank THEN do the water change

GoingPostal
03/12/2007, 02:41 PM
I've heard anything over 1 for ammonia is toxic even to the bacteria you're trying to raise, they don't populate the water very much, just the rock and substrate so change as much water as you need to keep the ammonia down. One of my tanks spiked to 6 and above and I did massive water changes the whole time with no difference in cycling time than any previous tank with semicured rock.

Travis L. Stevens
03/12/2007, 03:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9455618#post9455618 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
more water changes to keep ammonia down = more critters will survive the cycle

= less bacteria population to support a higher bioload. The introduction of a fish will cause a higher spike.

no water changes during the curing process = less critters will survive

= more bacteria to support a higher bioload. The introduction of a fish will not show as much of a significant spike.

I personally don't recommend water changes during a cycle, but the choice is yours.

pottsburg
03/12/2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks Travis, I didn't know that. Is it okay even though I started the tank w/ tap water? I guess I'll let it cycle and then go heavy on waterchanges over a month with RO/DI after it cycles?

bertoni
03/12/2007, 06:38 PM
I have never believed that water changes during the cycle did any harm to the bacterial filtration. The extreme levels of ammonia during a cycle are far more nutrition than the tank will get as the ammonia drops, and bacteria die or go dormant very quickly without food. So I do changes when the ammonia is over, say, 1 ppm and I have the energy. No need to knock yourself out.