PDA

View Full Version : so i finally got some zoos

saturn tech
03/12/2007, 02:22 PM
now the questions i have are~

Q #1 scientifc name - Green ones and purple with green mouths
They came attached to snail shells. i rubber banded them to pieces of live rock rubble. is this a decent way to get them to attach to the rock? i do not want them on my main live rock formation as they tend to colonize everything. i will attach a pic for showing what i have done.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/saturntech/Img0571.jpg

Q #2 Scientific name - orange ones
i have a nice piece of Tonga branch rock that turned out to have a good number of pretty orange zoos hitchhiking. will they completely take over the rock? should i just cut the section they are on off?

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/saturntech/Img0570.jpg

Q #3 purple W/ green mouths
how long does it take some colonies to fully open up? i got one small colony that seems to only open up enough to let their mouths show. it has been about a week. they seem to open more when i am not around, they close up quick when i get near the tank.

complexbooger
03/12/2007, 02:40 PM
those orange ones i used to have "dragon eyes" They look really nice in antinics. Mine were on a piece just like that rock. Took over about 3/4's of it. till i snapped the rocks and glued the frags to bigger rocks.

=JonBlazes

raider77
03/12/2007, 02:48 PM
I would take the zoas off the snail shell and glue them to a bigger piece of rubble. This way there's more surface area for them to grow out. Pry under the mat of the zoanthids to get them off the snail shell then glue them to the rock. If you cant pry under the mat crush the snail shell trying to leave a piece of the shell on the bottom for gluing to the rock.

Zoanthids could take over that whole branch if you let them. Which would look really nice. Just watch where you place it against your rocks if you don't want them growing anywhere else.

I have had zoanthids take a couple of weeks to fully open. Something in your tank could be disturbing them since they are laying on your sand bed. Maybe a snail or hermitcrab? But they look healthy so I wouldn't worry about them. Just give them some time they'll open.

I use Loctite Super Glue Control Gel for gluing my zoanthids.