PDA

View Full Version : apitista

michael fruth
03/12/2007, 02:55 PM
i have tried everything . i have 2 pep shrimp,also tried hot water lemon juice and kalk mix what do i have to do to kill them and keep them away

cdangel0
03/12/2007, 03:16 PM
Have you tried "Joe's Juice" yet?

Whatever you try, try to get the aptasia out of the tank to do it, otherwise you may stress them in to splitting and causing more aptasia.

mcliffy2
03/12/2007, 03:31 PM
Joes Juice killed mine pretty much instantly (in a rather cool looking white "explosion").

mikeosoft
03/12/2007, 03:37 PM
Joes Juice has always worked for me.

michael fruth
03/12/2007, 05:20 PM
the rocks that its on are cemented togather so i cant take it out what should i do when i add joes juice to them just turn the pumps off

machinas
03/12/2007, 06:35 PM
I took an 18 gauge steel syringe filled with a super concentrated calcium solution and injected the aiptasia with that, I havent seen any in months.

michael fruth
03/12/2007, 07:41 PM
calcium i did that 3 times i cant get it to work

Frick-n-Frags
03/13/2007, 06:09 AM
If I can't destroy them manually(scrape off and siphon out)
and I can't nuke them (old salifert syringe full of kalk paste smokes 'em) like the ones that anchor an inch down in a rock and extend out then:

I make a small epoxy patch and cover the hole/crevice.
Then I sit back and enjoy a good book, let's say "the cask of amontillado"(or however that goes) you know, the one where that dude bricks another dude into a wall to kill him....:D

I just had to do this yesterday. an intruder appeared from deep in a rock(I used to have a lot of aiptasia and since have decided to get rid of them so there are a few sneaky ones still hanging on)

i'll leave it on for a week or two and see if it sneaks out a different hole (another patch) or I have successfully entombed it.

Frick-n-Frags
03/13/2007, 08:35 AM
heh, darnit! the little SOB popped out of a new hole this morning. I hope we aren't dealing with mammoth caves here....

Travis L. Stevens
03/13/2007, 08:58 AM
I prefer to use vinegar injected into the body of the aiptasia through the mouth. It works like a charm as long as you don't poke through the aiptasia.

puffer21
03/13/2007, 09:13 AM
Be carefull when killing aptasia when you kill them they can relses babys. I like pepermint shimp they will eat the babys it just can take a little while. You can always try getting more.

Frick-n-Frags
03/13/2007, 09:19 AM
heh, i wish.
this guy is an inch down a hole, and you know how fast they rtract when touched. he'll just back away from a kalk shot. if I get him mostly sealed in, then maybe i'll fire a syringe of calk into the royal burial chamber and gas him out. :D

it's a jungle out there.....

hurtback
03/13/2007, 09:25 AM
i bought 8 peppermint shrimp last week--put them into the tank--and as of last night i still cant seem to find one---they arent there--not on the floor, i only have a yellow tang, black/white stripped damsel and a (cant remember the name) its long ---looks like a watchman goby?--i think the shrimp might be getting caught by the bigger manjano's in the tank and disappearing---i havent reied any of the juices yet---i thought the shrimp would do the trick--the only thing that happened is that i spent money to feed the manjano's

Frick-n-Frags
03/13/2007, 09:32 AM
do a flashlight check at night. they can hide very well.

also check your overflow box, sump and powerhead intakes just in case :D

puffer21
03/13/2007, 09:37 AM
I didnt see my pepermints for about 2 weeks but yet all my aptastia was gone.

hurtback
03/13/2007, 10:06 AM
i have looked with a flash light --havent seen a one---i've looked everywhere--i dont have a sump yet--and theres nothing around any of the pumps--i know they hide---the first 2 nights i could find them---now---nothing---i am a little bit po'ed---i thought by getting that many ithey would surely get rid of the pests--but--no luck---

jimbo045
03/13/2007, 10:17 AM
I did the take out the LiveRock and blast it with the garden hose. Then add a Copperband Butterfly,while checking the Phosephate, to make sure it was low.

hurtback
03/13/2007, 10:19 AM
will the peppermints and /or the copperband butterfly eat manjano's?

Frick-n-Frags
03/13/2007, 12:05 PM
no, I think majanos are too tough. they are a serious problem if they get loose. my one big LFS guy has a monster imperator that takes them out, but most aiptasia solutions won't touch majanos

the shrimp: if they all died instantly, you would see dead shrimp parts, especially with no sump. they are there :) they are clever.
also, start watching your aiptasia population. a posse of 8 is great. that should devastate the aiptasia
watch for molts too. If you see one, then you can relax.

your fish are not likely suspects

hurtback
03/13/2007, 03:01 PM
ok---Frick-n-Frags---will be watching tonight--i thought it is/was kinda strange that i dont see any shrimp---no molts either---will see tonight
thanks
steve---nj

hurtback
03/13/2007, 03:04 PM
are you saying the manjano's are to tough for the shrimp of the butterfly?

goldenTee
03/13/2007, 03:11 PM
I hate aiptasia....I have a little, but in the future if they get out of hand, plan on buying something....

I've never been a big fan of injecting kalk or whatever into the aipstaia. Always found that it's a waist of time. Kill one, another one pops up...

cbabcock
03/13/2007, 03:33 PM
Ive used a racoon butterfly to get rid of manjano's. Wipped them right out in a week or so. Be carefull though once the aptasia is gone they will move on to your favorite zoos.

hurtback
03/13/2007, 03:34 PM
gee thanks cbabcock----will have to look into getting one
steve---nj

DouglasTiede
03/13/2007, 03:56 PM
does joes juice have to be injected or can it be applied over the top of the "tentical" portion?
I have a huge problem with aptasia in the Refung.. I just added 6 pep shrimp
today and I'll keep you posted on their progress.