PDA

View Full Version : tank analysis needed...what am I doing wrong? (long)

lakwriter
03/12/2007, 03:52 PM
Hi all, Thanks in advace for any help you can give...

I have a 29g FOWLR...operating since Thanksgiving, so 3-1/2 months. See livestock list in my signature. (Waited a month before adding animals, used cured LR to start)

My parameters are (keep in mind - using stupid Red Sea test kits):
Ammonia=0
Nitraites=.05 ppm
Nitrates=20
Alk=normal (Red Sea doesn't give a #)
pH=8.2
Temp=77
specific gravity=1.024

Maintenance & equipment:
Tunze 9002 nano skimmer (in tank)
Hagen AquaClear 50 (270gph)
Feeding 1x daily (1/2 cube frozen mysis, 1/2 cube enriched brine, OR a pinch of reef flakes on a rotating schedule)
Weekly water changes @ 4.5 gallons/week with RO water from LFS and Instant Ocean, mixed overnight with PH and heater.

Here is my problem...

My tank came with an Eclipse hood. At first, I did actually use the filtration section with a combination of a sponge filter and activated carbon. The hood came with a 295gph pump. I have since dremel-ed out the filtration section for the much superior Tunze skimmer, so that filtration is gone.

Ever since removing that filtration (sponge/AC) and installing the skimmer (3 weeks now) I have had a huge diatom outbreak on the sand (not on the rocks, Astreas seem to have kept up with it) and also cyano. I have hair algea on one rock that has not gotten worse, but has not gotten better either.

In an attempt to improve water quality, I did a 9 gallon water change on Saturday (2x normal weekly change). When I came home today, the diatoms have gotten worse and I'm starting to get readlly irritated that within days of a water change, my water quality seems to tank.

Some thoughts I've had...

#1 - I know the test kits have to be bad...replacement water is reading Nirtite levels = to tank water and nitates-10. I have Salifert tests on the way, but they've been backordered for over a month now.

#2 - I probably need more water movement. I'm hoping to buy a Tunze 6025 PH this month. On Saturday I temporarily added a Maxi-Jet 400 (110gph) to increase circulation.

#3 - I realize that the skimmer won't do anything about the nitrates, but will remove wastes before they have a chance to become nitrates. I seem to be having difficulty "dialing in" to a good air setting. However, I would have expected the major water change to help a little bit.

#4 - I need to beef up my clean-up crew, especially with regard to the sand. I want cerith snails, but I'm having difficulty finding them. I have one last place to try, but its 30 miles from home and I cannot go until Friday. Any other suggestions? I've heard tiger tail cuke, but having trouble finding them as well (don't want to order online for such a small order if I can help it.)

I read Mike Paletta's New Marine Aquairum book and he says that you can be successful with just LR, LS, and a skimmer for filtration...is this not realistic?

A sump/refugium is not really an option right now.

I have been doing sooooo much reading - on this forum and elsewhere online - and I think I'm making decent decisions, but it seems like I'm going downhill fast and I need something to go right for me for a change. So I thought I'd pose my situation for analysis by you more-experienced folks.

So...based on my explanation, what am I doing wrong?

newtanksmell
03/12/2007, 04:18 PM
A couple of things come to mind and to be clear, I'm just newb.

You have something going on.

I'd start with the source. Run a TDS check on the RO. 99% of all LFS' are real picky about the quality of their RO. Still, there's always one out there that doesn't keep up with filter mainenance.

It's possible you are overfeeding. All most all us do. Target feed where possible.

If you are getting a true 295GPH you should be OK. Which pump are you using if you don't mind me asking ?

The Tunzes, especially the 9002 Nano skimmer is incredibly picky about water level. In order to garner best performance, you need to ensure that your chamber waer height remains absolutely stable. If the design of the Ecplise makes that imposiible, do a search for the Tea Jar ATO.

Finally, do yourself a favor and fling those test kits in a can. Those stinkin things almost cost me my tank and that of a friend. While some people don't mind them, I find them about as effective as taste testing for amon, trites,trates and the all important, absolutely useless KH test which read low, normal and high.

PM me if you like. I'll be more than happy to try and help you chase down your problem.

Hang in there. You'll figure it out.

newtanksmell
03/12/2007, 04:20 PM
I just noticed your fish head count. Depending on fish size, you may be challenging your scurrent systems ability to process waste/excess nutrients. Don't get me wrong. Plenty of people run 5 fish in a 29, but satifactory processing/filtering becomes critical.

lakwriter
03/12/2007, 04:22 PM
Yes, I know the test kits are trash...all LFS had when I started the tank, and I hadn't yet discovered RC. How would I do a TDS check? Is there a test kits I can get?

I am using the Hagen AquaClear 50 powerhead - 270gph.

I travel a lot, so there are frequently times where they don't get fed for a day or 2 at a time. Just some more info...

Toddrtrex
03/12/2007, 04:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9459066#post9459066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by newtanksmell
A couple of things come to mind and to be clear, I'm just newb.

You have something going on.

I'd start with the source. Run a TDS check on the RO. 99% of all LFS' are real picky about the quality of their RO. Still, there's always one out there that doesn't keep up with filter mainenance.

To be honest, my experience is the opposite. I used to get my water
from LFSs, and started to notice algae outbreaks, got my own RO/DI filter and in short time my issues were gone. But, I agree with you, the first thing to check out is the water source.

leeweber85
03/12/2007, 05:44 PM
Definitley check the TDS of the ro water. My LFS was selling RO with a reading over 200ppm. 0 is best, but anything under 10 or 15 should work alright. Your diatoms are normal for a new tank... really not much you can do about them.

ReefWreak
03/12/2007, 06:56 PM
Your tank isn't overstocked. You're definitely feeding WAY too much though. On my 24g nanocube, I had 2 small clowns, a firefish, a small yellow wrasse, and a yellow watchman goby, and I fed every other or every third day, and would feed maybe 10-15 mysis shrimp, FAR less than half a cube. I would melt a cube and it would last 3 weeks or so, and the fish and corals were fed enough. I suggest cutting back on feeding.

Good luck!

lakwriter
03/13/2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all the help. How do I test for TDS?

lakwriter
03/13/2007, 06:20 PM
^

poppin_fresh
03/13/2007, 06:58 PM
You would need to purchase a TDS meter. They are about $15, but any place that sells RO water should have one. You could see if they can test it in front of you.

I agree that you might be overfeeding... a couple times a week should be plenty. The other thing you have to realize is that your tank is new, and some of these things just have to run their course.