PDA

View Full Version : Powder Brown Tang

acidlittle
03/12/2007, 04:30 PM
Looking for any information people have on this particular fish. I have read all the stuff online, but want peoples personal experiences with the fish.

I have read they are a harder to acclimate kind of fish so I was wondering what has to be done to properly acclimate this fish!

Thanks all
Josh

NeptuneofSC
03/12/2007, 05:33 PM
They're a beautiful fish, but will be the top dog in your tank. I had one for the 3 years. It can be an ick magnet along with the Powder Blue and Achilles tang. I would suggest a steady temp and have lots of algae to eat. If there is a fish that's similar in size it will be very aggressive towards that fish. I had one that completly beat the snot out of a copperband butterfly. I would add him last. Just my two cents. What else do you have in your tank?

acidlittle
03/12/2007, 07:16 PM
2 clowns (percs) 3 PJ cardinals, 3 chromis', Yellow Watch goby, and lawnmower, the PBT would be my "center" piece in the tank! How do you go about preventing it from getting Ick without using chemicals?

phoenix
03/12/2007, 08:14 PM
I have had a powder brown in for about 6 yrs - he has done great - eats well and is the model citizen. I keep all of my fish well fed with spectrum. I acclimated him very slowly with a drip line and I also made sure he was eating before i bought him at the LFS

acidlittle
03/12/2007, 08:53 PM
the one i'm getting is definitly eating, How do youdo the drip line, i've heard of it be never implemented it. Thanks

NeptuneofSC
03/13/2007, 06:29 AM
acidlittle: got to reeftanksupply.com. There is a listing and decsribtion on the acclimation process.

NeptuneofSC
03/13/2007, 06:31 AM
acidlittle: sent pm regarding the acclimation process.

weaver5
03/13/2007, 06:36 AM
I have had luck keeping tangs free much ick free by keeping a cleaner shrimp in there.Scott

phoenix
03/13/2007, 06:46 AM
Drip line can be done by getting a piece of air tubing and tying a loose knot in it - you can adjust the drip by adjusting the knot - or you can buy a commercial drip line - these are basicaly the same as what is used in a hospital iv set - I think phishybusiness.com carries these on their website

acidlittle
03/13/2007, 05:10 PM
cool and some guy just gave me a cleaner shrimp for free so there is a plus!
Phoenix so then do you just start the siphon outta the airline?

phoenix
03/13/2007, 06:14 PM
Acidlittle
yes - i basically slowly drip my aquarium water into the bag or into the bucket the fish is in. When I have doubled the volume, I empty half the water and then repeat until i have doubled the volume again. Usually my drip rate is 1-2 drops per sec. I have had very good success with aclimating this way - I use the same method for corals and especially with inverts like snails and shrimp.

phoenix
03/13/2007, 06:14 PM
Acidlittle
yes - i basically slowly drip my aquarium water into the bag or into the bucket the fish is in. When I have doubled the volume, I empty half the water and then repeat until i have doubled the volume again. Usually my drip rate is 1-2 drops per sec. I have had very good success with aclimating this way - I use the same method for corals and especially with inverts like snails and shrimp.

acidlittle
03/13/2007, 07:03 PM
That's what I thought. I appreciate everybody's help! I Got my tang and did an acclimation in the bag....
Consisting of floating the tang for half an hour in the bag. then every 15 mins I put half a cup of my tank water in the bag and did that until about 5 mins ago. So now the tang is swimming around and picking at the rocks for algea! I also put the veggie clip in and he didn't devour it like I wanted him to but he's picked it a few times.
So I suppose I should get a pick of the new guy huh?
Gimme some time to charge the cam bat!

LSD_Zeppelin
03/13/2007, 07:21 PM
I think a good way to prevent Ick is to feed formula 2, It is green and great for tangs plus it is 2% garlic to help prevent ick

acidlittle
03/13/2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks LSD I will definitely pick some up sometime!

t5Nitro
03/13/2007, 09:15 PM
Nice! I wish I could find one in a LFS around here. :D

acidlittle
03/13/2007, 09:56 PM
You will never guess where i found it...

acidlittle
03/13/2007, 10:15 PM
And the pics!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/acidlittle/DSCN0262.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/acidlittle/DSCN0261.jpg
and a vid to supplement my horrible camara skills!
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/acidlittle/th_DSCN0263.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/acidlittle/?action=view&current=DSCN0263.flv)