PDA

View Full Version : What is you alternative to a sand bed?

Mstamic
03/12/2007, 05:39 PM
I'm currently breaking down my 115 gallon system and looking at all the changes i want to make when i set up my bigger system. One idea I'm playing with is looking for options to my DSB. My system is well into it's third year, and although everything is growing well, i do have a lot of nusance starting to grow.

I'm planning to not have a DSB in the display and possibly have a rDSB, but i'm curious what others are doing for bottom cover in their tanks and how the rockwork rests on a bottom that doesn't have a lot of hold to it as a deep sand bed does.

So what do you have in your tank? Is it working out for you? How long has your tank been up? If it was a DIY project, can you direct me to the link? =)

Mstamic
03/13/2007, 12:40 PM
bump

connecticut cichlids
03/13/2007, 01:29 PM
I currently have a tank that has black egg crate on the bottom, and my live rock rests on that. this way the rock really never touches the glass at all. On the other hand, I had seen tanks with white, and tanks with black star board on the botton, with no sand. the white star board reflects alot of the light, and kind of makes the tank look alittle brighter. the black kind of absorbs the light, but the growth of purple coralline algea looks better on the black star board IMO....like Mstamic said, i am currently thinking of also doing a rDSB instead of putting in my display tank.---JIM

csb
03/13/2007, 01:35 PM
I prefer a shallow sand bed... 1/2" to 1" in depth... gives enough padding for the rock and sand sifting creatures while not retaining nutrients.

Plus it has the natural look ... I suppose one could combine eggcrate material on the bottom covered by sand, then you'd actually have a very sturdy base for the rock with weight distribution. I actually place my rocks right on the sand... I've seen some people who use PVC to elevate the rocks, but I don't think it's necessary... probably more complicated than it's worth.

dippin61
03/13/2007, 02:52 PM
starboard.. no sand whatsoever.

elvn
03/13/2007, 08:13 PM
I just have my rocks right on the barebottom glass of my 120g 4x2x2. I used several big rocks for the base of the rockwork.

Purple and red coralline are growing on the bottom glass, and I have several different types of polyps in colonies on rocks on the front bottom. I'm hoping they will spread onto the bottom glass eventually to form a mat/carpet of varied polyps. I've seen threads on how to make fake sandbeds with epoxy but I prefer coralline, polyps and other corals on the bottom glass.

My tank stand is very tall (on cinder blocks I painted black). The actual bottom glass of the display is 41" off the ground. From sitting in the room the bottom glass is at eye level or just above depending on what seat you are in. You don't even see the bottom glass unless you are standing right at the tank - though I often like to stand at the tank and rest my hands on the half-wall in front of it for an up close and personal look into it.

I may buy some starboard for my next tank when I do the upgrade. From what I've read it will cost me over $200 for 60" x 30" section of starboard for my custom 60"x30"x30" tank. The starboard only available in white at that size from the cutting board company.

I'd use the starboard to protect the glass from the pressure points on the rocks, and to provide more friction than the glass. As for looks coralline and hopefully polyps will cover the distance between the rockwork and the front glass in time. I'd also add other bottom-suitable corals and corals on small rockwork to fill up the space.

Mstamic
03/14/2007, 12:07 PM
Can any of you recommend sources from starboard beyond the google search? I'm in SF, CA but i'm willing to purchase online. thanks for your responses.

dippin61
03/14/2007, 02:16 PM
www.cuttingboardcompany.com

Mstamic
03/15/2007, 11:34 AM
so it's just the plastic cutting board cut to custom dimensions?

xenon
03/15/2007, 12:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9483504#post9483504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mstamic
so it's just the plastic cutting board cut to custom dimensions?

Yep.

I cut my starboard for my overflow box with a jigsaw. Then I used a router to round the bottom edges to compensate for the silicone so that it would fit like a glove yet still be flat on the glass.

Willjs7
03/15/2007, 12:43 PM
Yes.