PDA

View Full Version : Refugiums

andniss
03/12/2007, 06:31 PM
I would like to know what they are, I know they're like sumps, and how they work and stock them. Sorry for the elementary question, but a have read article after article, but no real description of refugiums provided. Just so you don't worry I don't have an aquarium yet, but very interested in getting one and what to be very well informed before I take the plunge.

Dogfaced Puffer
03/12/2007, 06:52 PM
It's refuge (look up the dictionary meaning) from the rest of your tank. You can grow macro (cheato) and micro algea there, stuff that you would not want to look at in your tank, you can have live rock in there to give your fish more room in the tank, you can have adeep sand bed to help de-nitratation, its a place to grow pods, etc.

mitchellmoto
03/13/2007, 02:09 PM
There are different setups that you can use. but in general it is just a refuge as stated above. It is a place without predators. A place for macro algea to grow and also a place to hide equipment that you don't want to see in the main tank. skimmer, heaters calcium reactor, carbon, ect...... I strongly recomend using one on any system that allows the installation of one. Setup properly they do wonders for your tank such as nutient export and food import to the tank. They are also fun to watch almost as much as the main display. All the critter the live in the macroalgea, livesand, and live rock are entertaining to watch. I like it when they are setup like a display, kinda like a planted marine tank. It is als a place to do certain maintenance things. doing a water change, adding chemicals, topping off you water. It is better to do these things in the refugium than disturbing the main tank..

Anyways Good luck. Be prepared and take your time if you get a tank. And most of all read read read read. You will never know every thing in this hobby so read till your eyes bleed and learn as much as you can. You might think what you are reading doesn't pertain to your tank then later down the road it just might save your neck or at least the neck of your live stock.

Peace
Mitch

rustybucket145
03/13/2007, 02:15 PM
Here's a picture of a refugium/sump combo. Pictures always help me out to figure out how things work. Note that there are literally thousands of different ways to incorporate a fuge and each situation is different.

http://www.buddyscampfire.com/meshModImages/sump.jpg

chkra_hp
03/13/2007, 02:15 PM
How big should my refugium need to be? I have a 45gal main tank. Thanx

chkra_hp
03/13/2007, 02:19 PM
Can I use 2 pump(1 in the fefugium from main tank and 1 out of the refugium back to maintank) on a hang on back refugium? or should I use 1 overflow box from maintank to refugium and then from there pump the water back up to main tank?

I have a 45gal tank where can I buy an overflow box?

Volkman
03/13/2007, 03:01 PM
Hey mitchellmoto, quick question from a newbie, can I put my tank heater in the sump/fuge so that it's not showing in the tank??? Thanks.

Salamander
03/13/2007, 05:55 PM
That's part of the benefit of a sump is that you can put all your equipment in there to hide it. With the addition of a closed loop you can even eliminate powerheads.

andniss
03/13/2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info. Is there anything in particular you guys like to stock in the refuge.