PDA

View Full Version : Newbie saying hello!!

Volkman
03/13/2007, 05:11 AM
Hey guys, been browsing around the site for a couple of weeks now and thought I should introduce myself as I am sure that I will be asking a ton of questions. So HI!!
First saltwater tank, and I had to go reef. I have been wanting one forever, but knew that you didn't want to have to move these things around. So when my girlfriend and I bought a house that we knew we will be in for a long time, I thought it was time.
We built it into a wall that we demo'd, in-between the family-room and living-room, right as you walk into the house. It's pretty neat!! Let me know what you guys think. Did all the work myself framing up the walls and building the stand-base. Not bad work if I do say-so myself!! HAHA!
Right now there is about 100#'s of live rock, 40 or so red and blue leggeged crabs and only about 6-8 snails. More to come. (Pluse a few Damsels which will go soon!!) Any help as to what kind of green tipped anememes those are??

Nice to meet you all, and have a great day!

Bob

Here are some tank pics, (and a few of the fam I guess too!!)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=v2t55mo.8owbmlxw&Uy=8ld7m4&Ux=0

jim48
03/13/2007, 06:26 AM
Welcome! Nice work. Are you planning a larger tank in the future with that extra space above the tank?

seatown76
03/13/2007, 06:31 AM
Nice work there Bob and WELCOME. I agree all that space needs a bigger tank....LOL.

Richmondkid101
03/13/2007, 06:36 AM
Very Nice!!! I love the setup :) Well welcome aboard

Volkman
03/13/2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys, much appreciated!! And I do think that you guys raised a great seg-way for me. I would at some point down the road like to get a taller tank in that space, so..... BE THE FIRST TO DONATE TO THE BOB MARTIN FISHTANK FUND!!! That's right, you too can own a small part of this tank. (Call it a timeshare!!) All donations accepted over $100!!! HAHA!!!

cinematek
03/13/2007, 02:00 PM
Welcome to RC!

Travis L. Stevens
03/13/2007, 02:11 PM
[welcome]

Lacy
03/13/2007, 03:51 PM
Really nice work. If you do go to a taller tank, be careful how tall you go. I had one that was 30" tall and it was a real PAIN cleaning the coraline algae off of it. To hard to reach down even with a handled scraper. But maybe you have longer arms than I do!!:D
Renee

Volkman
03/22/2007, 04:51 AM
Kinda funny that you mention carefull on how tall I might go someday, my girlfriend (who's name is Renee) already cannot reach the top of the tank from the otherside. It's a sunken living room and she's only 5-1!!! HA!! Thanks for all the nice words guys.... any idea what kind of anememes those are??

Osmotic Shock
03/22/2007, 09:50 AM
Welcome Bob, very nice work. That anemone in your 11th picture is aiptasia and is a pest that you don't want. If you look around on this board there are a lot of ways to kill them-Joe's juice, lemon juice, pepperment shrimp,bergia nudibranch- all of which have various degrees of success.Kill it now before it spreads. I would start with Joe's juice which you can get at any local fish store.

Capt_Cully
03/22/2007, 10:12 AM
Nice work. a couple peppermint shrimp should take care of that aiptaisia.

BradsOcean
03/22/2007, 11:20 AM
welcome and nice setup