PDA

View Full Version : trying black molly

bunkerboy
03/13/2007, 05:40 AM
So i have had my aquapod 12 running for about two weeks now with 16lbs of live rock from Dr. Fosters, and still no ammonia read. Have brown and green algae, which i just added 4 turbo snails and two blue legged crabs.... So last night i took two small black molly's from my freshwater community tank that were bred in there and slowly over a three hour period got them used to the saltwater.... i want to see if i get any ammonia... if so, i will take molly's out, but i think the rock may be allready cured. I also added live sand when i started the tank....dont want to spend $20 on a clown just to have a huge ammonia peak and die... has anyone else tested or cycled a saltwater tank with a black molly? Bunker

jmick
03/13/2007, 05:58 AM
You do not need fish to cycle your tank, die off from your live rock will do the job. Also, live sand is not necessary and IMO a waste of money, I would have gone with dry sand and let your rock seed it.

Alarmguy66
03/13/2007, 06:08 AM
No different than using a damsel. Ive got a black molly living with my Gobies in a small tank and it gets along fine with everyone. I was hopeful it would eat some algae but that hasnt been the case for me.

I dont think one clown would cause a spike big enough to do any real damage anyway. Especially with the live rock in place

Nohatch
03/13/2007, 07:11 AM
I have used a black molly or 2 many times. Always worked great for me.