PDA

View Full Version : Timer for air conditioner

rleechb
03/13/2007, 11:26 AM
So here's the dilemma. I don't have room (or want to free up the funds) for a chiller. I have a window air conditioner in my apartment that can keep the living room where the tank resides cool. However, this window AC unit does not have any sort of thermostat associated with it. It's simply on or off. I leave work every morning at 5am, and it would be a terrible waste to turn the AC on before work to run for 8-9 hours before the tank lights come on. Ideally, I'd like to get a timer for the the AC unit, so that it turns on when the lights come on to prevent the tank from overheating during those warm summer days. However, the AC unit has a weird plug, not your standard AC outlet. I believe it's the same outlet as a standard washer/dryer outlet, but I'm not positive. Does anyone know how to get this to work? Are there any timers like the aforementioned with these funky i/o connections? TIA!

rleechb
03/13/2007, 12:13 PM
^

wife no likey
03/13/2007, 01:18 PM
yes there are:

:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intermatic-220v-15a-Timer-for-Air-Conditioner-Heater_W0QQitemZ160092480546QQcategoryZ115711QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lake75
03/13/2007, 01:48 PM
I had the same situation as yours and here is what I bought:

http://www.rewci.com/inaircoandap.html

They have a couple of different ones with different plug types. Just look at their diagrams and pick the one that fits your AC.

katchupoy
03/13/2007, 01:53 PM
If you have the 110 volt version. I think this can work.
http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=68&products_id=37

wife no likey
03/13/2007, 02:08 PM
why do people post the exact same thing that is a line above?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9466460#post9466460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lake75
I had the same situation as yours and here is what I bought:

http://www.rewci.com/inaircoandap.html

They have a couple of different ones with different plug types. Just look at their diagrams and pick the one that fits your AC.

rleechb
03/13/2007, 02:23 PM
You guys are awesome. I love RC.

<3

Lake75
03/13/2007, 10:23 PM
Because I didn't read every word of your post and didn't click through your link? I went through the trouble to help the OP, not obliged to read everything that followed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9466627#post9466627 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pennilessreefer
why do people post the exact same thing that is a line above?

manderx
03/13/2007, 10:25 PM
does your AC not have a thermostat because it's so old? if so it might pay for itself by getting a newer more efficient model, with a thermostat as a bonus.

why do people post the exact same thing that is a line above? some people don't like buying from ebay.

rleechb
03/14/2007, 04:47 PM
It's just a window mounted crappy air conditioner. I'm an apartment dweller, so I'm not particularly keen on the idea of upgrading the apartment for the next tenant ;)

Plus, I'm moving out in 6 mos. I just want to make sure I can get this tank through the hot summer months.

Aren't most air conditioners 110V? I thought 220V was european or something.

skydvr
03/14/2007, 08:41 PM
Most units don't take to well to having the power killed when it is running (note the tag that recommends not unplugging for several minutes after shutting off)
It runs thru a cycle that prevents the condenser from freezing and damaging seals, fittings, or the tubing. As well as preventing a blockage of flow thru the condenser.

You can find controllers (much like those used for heater controlls) that can be wired into the unit to controll temp.
But since you are moving soon, that probably wouldn't be a good idea.
I would get a newer unit and take it with you when you leave.

Most window A/C units are 110/120V. there are many larger in wall units that are 220V. but since you said it had a washing machine style plug (which is 220V) everyone would asssume it is 220V. Unplug iit and seee if it is the standard prongs (most A/C units have a flattter plug where the wire comes off the side unlike a typical lamp cord), if so it's 115V. Since you seem to know what a washer plug looks like, if it's similar to that it will be 220V. Or you could just read the serial plate for the ratings.