PDA

View Full Version : New Euro-Reef skimmer noise

Worldwithin
03/14/2007, 10:42 AM
So, I just set up my new Euro-Reef RS-180 skimmer last night. Aside from it looking like it was working perfectly, it added an absurd amount of pump noise to my setup. Now, I am fully aware that it was going to add something, but it appears to be adding way too much vibration noise to the system. I have checked to see if the pump was vibrating against something or what-not, but even if I disconnect the pump from the skimmer and suspend it in the water column, it still makes a god awful loud humming sound. The sound itself does not sound like anything is broken or rattling, just a rather loud hum.

I assume that there are many out there with a ER skimmer, so I was curious if this pump is supposed to be quiet or annoyingly loud.

Even my Mag 9.5 is quieter than this thing is.

:fish1::hammer:

grconkle
03/14/2007, 12:13 PM
My ER pump did the same thing.. Mine was caused by air in the pump. I fixed it by holding the pump vertical and moving it around underwater for a few seconds. This releases the air and the pump works much better and is quiet. This is true for all pumps. Hope this helps.