PDA

View Full Version : 2 return pumps for dual overflows? Is that a bad idea?

mosesbrown
03/14/2007, 06:08 PM
I will be setting up a dual overflow system soon. Rather than split the return line, I was planning to use 2 return pumps. Other then cost, is it a bad idea for some other reason that I am not thinking of? I can only think of benefits.

Thanks,
John

t5Nitro
03/14/2007, 06:12 PM
Probably the same thing except more flow pushing through each return for more flow in the tank.

Scuba_Steve
03/14/2007, 06:20 PM
Added heat from a second pump, although 1 larger pump would possibly produce just as much heat. You wouldnt have to worry about a pump dieing on you as you would already have a backup running.

poppin_fresh
03/14/2007, 06:24 PM
Redundancy of having two pumps is nice, but has the drawbacks others mentioned. Just make sure you use 2 small pumps, its pointless to have 2 larger pumps and have to throttle them both back a lot.

mosesbrown
03/14/2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks, your getting me thinking. Keep it coming if anyone has any other ideas.
John

beaniebeagle
03/14/2007, 06:26 PM
having two pumps will help with piece of mind,

but then you cant make the overflows silent with herbie's method

mosesbrown
03/14/2007, 06:34 PM
who is herbie?

Like the vw bug from the movie?

Haha?
John

jer77
03/14/2007, 07:28 PM
Make sure you have check valves on the two returns incase one fails so the other pump won't suck water from the dead pump's plumbing.

EdKruzel
03/14/2007, 07:51 PM
The more equipment added the better the chance of a mishap or failure. I have one pump and if you can afford it, another to sit in the closet incase needed.

I like to have spare equipment for those incase moments. I've never had a problem with a return pump even after years of constant use, but for a while I was losing Rio pumps faster than regular water changes.

I keep extra PVC, light bulbs, and a few pumps and powerheads for whatever system I have running. Everything I set-up is as basic (but functional) as possible. My current nano has twice the size for the sump with a skimmer, heater, fuge and (prefilter before the pump) return pump. The tank's return is on a SCWD so that I don't have to add powerheads to the main tank.

IMAGINEER
03/14/2007, 08:20 PM
I am running 2 mag 18's instead of the big pump on my 265.

Love the peace of mind if I go outa town .

John

Village Idiot
03/15/2007, 06:19 AM
If you have 2 pumps in the sump, and one fails, won't the remaining pump be overwhelmed with the flow and flood the sump?

yakfishin
03/15/2007, 07:00 AM
No, it shouldn't flood, as long as you have enough space in the sump to handle the back flow from the plumbing, but you would need this extra space wether you have 1 pump or two. The one working pump will only have to handle the flow being produced by it's own action, which would be half the flow that is normally being produced with two working pumps. I have two pumps in my sump, and I think the advantages far out weigh any potential disadvantages. I think that two smaller pumps produce a lot less noise than one larger pump that is pumping the same load. As already mentioned, if your on vacation and one pump fails, your system will still limp along with the one working pump. Giving you time to purchase or install another pump without the system being totally down. I also place each of my pumps on a seperate electric circuit from one another. That way if one circuit is tripped, I still have a pump going. I do the same with my heaters.

sjm817
03/15/2007, 07:17 AM
I think 2 pumps with dual RR overflows is a fine idea. No need to repeat the reasons why.

Frick-n-Frags
03/15/2007, 07:26 AM
a check valve would only be needed if you have a return-line back-siphoning problem. Which you should eliminate anyway, so no check valves are needed then.

regarding overflowing the sump with only one pump, think about this:

when all pumps are off, the tank is drained down to overflow level. this is low energy point rest state. Is the sump overflowing now? if not, then it can't overflow unless you have a back-siphoning situation, which needs to be fixed.

once one or more pumps start, they put sump water up top. the more pumps, the faster it gets put up top, the less, the slower.
If a pump stops, its siphon breaks(hopefully) and the water in the line drains back into the sump and it sits there.
The other pump has nothing to do with it.

murfman
03/15/2007, 07:44 AM
I had dual pumps in my sump/fuge returning to my dual overflows. Never had an issue. The check valve is a good idea or make sure that your sump can handle the back flow from the returns, should you loose power and start a back siphon. I kept the nozzles as close to the surface as possible, without creating a vortex.

mosesbrown
03/15/2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks everyone. This is exactly the type of replies I needed.

Thanks Again,
John