PDA

View Full Version : Tubastrea colonies connected or not?

HumanIMDB
03/14/2007, 10:20 PM
There seems to be conflicting information on Orange Tube Corals (Tubastrea aurea - aka Sun Corals). Some sources say that the colonies are connected and share nutrients while others say the opposite.

Does anyone know which statement is true? If so, please list your source.

Thanks,
Chris

sufunk
03/15/2007, 12:08 PM
Almost every single person to a man will tell you that they are not connected. However, i did see someone on here in a thread quote Eric Borneman as saying that they are conected and that every polyp doesn't need to be fed. As long as the "whole" coral gets enough food, the sun will do well. I'm not a premium member so i cant search for the thread but if you do a search, you should be able to find it, it was about 3-5 months ago.

I would tend to agree with that based on my sun. Mine has about 100 heads and it wouldnt be possible to feed every head so i dont even try. I make sure the whole coral gets alot of food and everything has been great. I have new head growth, havent lost 1 single head and even have a few babies in the tank from the original colony.

HumanIMDB
03/15/2007, 12:21 PM
Here is the article - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=2999969#post2999969

Is Eric "the source" for all things Tube Coral? :)

sufunk
03/15/2007, 02:30 PM
I think Eric is the source for ALL things reef in general. When it comes to corals, i'll take his word over just about anyone!

That wasn't the thread i saw but its great that you found that so now i can link it as well. People are 100% convinced that EVERY polyp needs to be fed and people never believe me when i say that Borneman says they don't.

I love suns and have had great success with mine so far but alot of people think they are too much work, need to be shaded, etc... and don't buy them. Hopefully, people will get better educated on them and see that they aren't that much work and put them in their tanks. They are incredible when healthy and open!!