PDA

View Full Version : Koran Angle with SPS

Dog boy Dave
03/15/2007, 04:51 AM
Anyone have any personal experience with this type of angel in an SPS tank? I have a Regal now with no problems at all. I am considering adding a Koran and an Emperator. I know all about their reputation and the hit or miss thing but I have heard that more and more people are keeping angels successfully in their SPS tanks.
Thanks
Dave

Denadai
03/15/2007, 06:46 AM
Angels can eat some LPS and zoas....but SPS take less risk with nipping behavior

Regards

dacro
03/15/2007, 07:37 AM
Our Regal will suck up the zoas, but only occasionally nip at the SPS (likes the pink milli for some reason haha)...

kevinpo
03/15/2007, 10:05 AM
The Koran angel is much more likely to nip at LPS, soft, and SPS corals than other large angels. The Imperator angel is more hit and miss but can be a threat to clams as they age (4+ years).

I've had this Pomacanthus xanthometopon in my tank for over 5 years. I bought it as a 2" juvenile. As it aged it went through different phases of what it would nip at. It ate a colony of hydroids and manjano anemones. When it was about two years old it took a liking to M. capricornis for about 6 months. It would eat chunks of the new growth rim like a cracker. It stopped just as suddenly as it started. It also ate all my Xenia (about 500 colonies.) I had to remove my Tridacna clams after 4 years because it began to nip them. It nips SPS (mostly tips of M. digitata) but not enough to kill the coral. It may be that I have so much coral that he doesn't concentrate enough on one piece to cause noticeable damage. I'm not sure.

HTH,
Kevin
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/524/6747blueface-3-07-med.JPG

Dog boy Dave
03/15/2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks Guys. This is an SPS only tank. I have heard bad things about the Koran but no one I know has actually had one. Hope fully I can hear from some people who have actaully tried the Koran and been succesful or not.
Thanks
Again
Dave

Dog boy Dave
03/15/2007, 07:33 PM
wow Kevin Nice Blue Face! That is a magnificent crature and a good picture as well.

kevinpo
03/15/2007, 11:42 PM
Hey Dave,
The Koran (Hank) was even more destructive than my Blueface :rolleyes:

HTH,
Kevin
PS: Thanks for the nice words :)