PDA

View Full Version : Flow Question

chbarber
03/15/2007, 09:23 AM
I have a 37 gallon tank with a 10gallon sump/fuge. I have the system circulating with the biggest Hagen powerhead I could find. It seems to move the water well but I was going to upgrade to a pump to be sure of the gph. Can I have the tank circulating at 4x water volume to better my filtration and just have a 400GPH circulation pump inside the tank for the 10x needed for my softies? everything seems to be doing good. Should I leave it as it is if evertyhing is ok?

sir_dudeguy
03/15/2007, 09:32 AM
I kinda got lost in that post (probably cuz i just woke up ;) ) but for a reef tank, you'll do a lot better STARTING at 20x turnover per hour...not 10. And you only count whatever pumps are in your display tank and the return pump going back to the display from the sump (if you have one) But you dont count any pumps that are in the sump, like a skimmer for example.

IeatFish
03/15/2007, 09:40 AM
Whats the best type of soft coral for a newbie to start off with? sry if this is the wrong place to post this...im kinda confused still.

sir_dudeguy
03/15/2007, 10:31 AM
Soft corals in general are the easiest corals (with the exceptions of a few, like sun polyps...i think those are stofties, but they're difficult)

stuff like xenia, green star polyps, zoanthids, mushrooms, kenya tree...those are all very very easy ones to keep.

chbarber
03/15/2007, 10:58 AM
This is what I have got:

37 gallon display overflowing into a 10 gallon sump/fuge

Return from sump is the biggest Hagen powerhead I could find(appx 140gph). Inside my display is a MJ-600 powerhead. I have a Koralia Pump 1 on the way(400gph) that will accompany the MJ-600 in the tank.

Question is:
Is this enough flow within the tank and is this okay considering I have biological filtration going on which likes to be at a slower rate? I think the overall flow within my pipes is around 140 gph.

loves saltwater
03/15/2007, 07:21 PM
you should be around 18-19X per hour with what you have or have on the way

drummereef
03/15/2007, 11:58 PM
I have 30x flow in my 40 gallon mixed reef. I have mostly sofies, lps and a couple monti caps. All are doing well. The more flow the better. ;)

clekchau
03/17/2007, 12:28 PM
i have 10x flow and it seems too high for my xenia, yellow polyps and hairy mushrooms, i couldn't imagine 20x or more for softies

sir_dudeguy
03/17/2007, 01:18 PM
I'm w/drummer...i got 27x turnover and i'm adding more as soon as i get money. And it totally depends on what TYPE of flow you have. If you're using stuff like maxijets...they suck imo...they put out a very violent flow that can blow corals around. Use stuff like seio's and whatnot...they put out more flow but FEEL weeker. IMO those are way better though, because they have the wide flow.

And i doubt that xenia is getting too much flow from only 10x...like i said, i've got around 27 and i've got it right in front of a powerhead (which actually IS a maxijet that i cut off the output nozzle) and they're growing like weeds.

clekchau
03/17/2007, 01:26 PM
well i'm new to softies and it seems like they are just blowing around way too much but they are not dying so i guess they are ok. flow comes from vortechs and a sequence hammerhead via oceans motions 4way. with only 12x flow not a spot on my tank goes untouched and it's a pretty big tank, i couldn't imagine doubling the flow.