PDA

View Full Version : Drain Line Question

klasiksb
03/15/2007, 10:00 AM
I will be running a drain to the basement sump, but it would need to go down into the basement and then up about 8" due to a beam in the way. Will this cause any problems?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/ereefic/drain.jpg

jim48
03/15/2007, 12:16 PM
It would probably be okay if you have enough pitch in the horzontal line between the tank and the beam. Be advised though, those 90 degree angles at the beam area will collect gunk and could eventually create a blockage. I would definately make sure there is a foam filter of some sort exiting the overflow at the tank. Also you can install a cleanout fixture at this area just upstream of the first 90.

jim48
03/15/2007, 12:29 PM
8 inches is quite a ways to push water up. If you don't have enough space to get quite a bit of pitch on the horizontal run, you probably will not be able push that water up 8 inches.

What size tank and gph overflow are you using?

GuySmilie
03/15/2007, 10:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9482711#post9482711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by klasiksb
I will be running a drain to the basement sump, but it would need to go down into the basement and then up about 8" due to a beam in the way. Will this cause any problems?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/ereefic/drain.jpg Put some sort of draincock where the horizontal run makes it first transition to go up over the beam. This will facilitate draining from that point back to the tank, if ever the occasion arises.

That, or why not just run the horizontal 8" higher to eliminate the upside down trap?
Guy

hahnmeister
03/16/2007, 01:32 AM
Thats what I was wondering too... just run the whole pipe 8" higher...

OR, run it along the wall or something so you can have a better angle w/o a trap.

Otherwise, I would suggest making that trap section out of clear PVC and fittings so you could see when it gets bad. The thing is, then what. If you put a cleanout on there, you have that whole length of pipe, plus 8" of height in the vertical pipe, of water to drain out or its going to cause a mess. So you will need a drain valve right at the elbow anyways to allow you to drain it to clean it. What a hassle. Id just run it along a wall or something... paint it black and hang tapestries on it like its supposed to be there. Doesnt your basement have walls to have the pipe run along? Then its a handicap access rail.

medic29
03/16/2007, 07:29 AM
Maybe a dumb question, but why not drill a hole in the beam and fun the pipe through? I would imagine one such hole would not weaken the beam.

klasiksb
03/16/2007, 09:43 AM
After looking at things again, the rise over the beam isn't as drastic as 8", more like about 3".

I'm going to do like medic29 has suggested and drill a hole in one of the joists, run the line through so I can cross the beam above and then everything will be going 'down hill'.

Thanks for the input all.