PDA

View Full Version : Diy Kalk Ato

RobNJ
03/15/2007, 03:05 PM
So My new 120 has been up a few weeks now and I am doing as much DIY to it as I can, I mean why spend 300 on something when you can DIY it for 100!! I must say, having to remember to make water for topping off on my old 40g was such a pain. 100% automation is the way to go.

Anyway, I am working on my ATO System which will be topping off with kalkwasser.

So far it's up and running with just RODI Water.

I have a 18g RubberMaid with lid.
Float valve connected to my AWI Typhoon RO/DI
1/4 Quick connect bulkhead fitting connected to an aqua lifter pump that is triggered with a float switch in my return section of my sump.

My question is: I have a nice inexpensive MJ1200 that I am going to mount inside the reservoir to mix the Kalk once i add it. How often should I program the timer to run the power head to stir the kalk?

Every hour? Every half hour? twice a day? Also, i would think it be best to use a timer on the ATO Switch so that it doesn't drip Kalkwasser while its stirring correct?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

-Rob

manderx
03/15/2007, 03:19 PM
best thing would be to put the RO/DI on a timer/solenoid so it only filled as needed. for example, come on once a week just long enough to fill the bin up to the float. this eliminates TDS creep (last thing you want is the RO/DI coming on every time your aqualifter adds an ounce of water to the tank), and helps reduce the chance/damage from a flood since it's not 'on' 24/7.

then setup another timer that comes on for 5-10 minutes after the RO finishes filling to mix the kalk. that's it, just remember to add in fresh kalk powder as needed. you want to mix as little as possible, since each time you mix it CO2 gets in from not being a sealed body. if you had made a sealed body just like a 'regular' kalk reactor then you would probably have it mix 2-3-4 times a day, since it's a smaller body that dillutes as you constantly add new RO/DI water. but there is a sweet simplicity to the 'bin' method.

Louis
03/15/2007, 04:11 PM
Manderx, do you have a link to decent priced solenoid? I am seeing alot of them for "aquarium" use selling for twice the price of other similar soleniods. Only problem is I cant find the right size for 1/4" tubing.

Thank you!

Louis

manderx
03/15/2007, 08:52 PM
i got mine from mcmaster carr for ~20 bucks, plus a few bucks for the john guest fittings that screwed into it. since it goes before the RO/DI, it doesn't have to be fancy and reef-safe or anything.

i just ordered the same one everyone else was getting, it was listed in a DIY thread Zephrant did years ago on a plumbed-in topoff. if you can get into the search you might be able to find it.

i just looked on mcmaster to see if i could find it, dunno if this is the same one but it looks good to me (it even says good for DI water). go to www.mcmaster.com and search on: 7877K2

Louis
03/15/2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks manderx, thats exactly what i was looking for!

manderx
03/16/2007, 08:54 AM
i just looked at it again, and might have posted the wrong one. when i saw it say '1/4" quick disconnect' i assumed it meant the tubing. but i see it's split between 2 types, 'wire leads' and '1/4" quick disconnect', so maybe it means the 1/4" is a wiring connection.