PDA

View Full Version : Glue for attaching coral

kjtroyer
03/15/2007, 04:54 PM
I need to attach some small frags to my live rock. Circulation keeps floating stuff around. I'm looking at getting

HoldFast Epoxy Stick CD-517345 from DrsFosterSmith.com. The description says that it can be applied underwater. Has anyone used this Epoxy? Is it really safe? Just makes me a little nervous putting an uncured Epoxy in my tank.

crazy4salt
03/15/2007, 06:00 PM
I just use superglue gel, works like a charm..........

plyle02
03/15/2007, 06:08 PM
I second the superglue, preferably the super glue gel by Loctite. I have used it to frag all my sps corals and attaching as well. Good luck...

sir_dudeguy
03/15/2007, 06:09 PM
I just use krazy glue. I havent used the gel stuff yet, but i recommend it because its a lot thicker than the regular stuff, therefor making it easier to get stuff to hold.

Slamajama
03/15/2007, 06:17 PM
I-C Gel...best ive used

plyle02
03/15/2007, 06:17 PM
Give it a try sir_dudeguy, it does make for easier application, especially when applying underneath the water. Just my opinion though......

kjtroyer
03/15/2007, 06:43 PM
Let me make sure I understand. I can apply the superglue gel to a frag then stick the frag to some rock in my tank. No need to take everything out of the tank, dry it off, then glue?

sir_dudeguy
03/15/2007, 07:10 PM
Free bump for you...i'm also curious to that last question...

UnderCoverDork
03/15/2007, 09:25 PM
use a spacer rock...

so take out the sps glue it to a small piece of LR, then glue that in your tank.

that is what i do

usiing a spacer rock will come in handy when you might have to move the coral...you can just twist it off.

xenon
03/15/2007, 10:29 PM
zap gel is what I buy from my LFS

drummereef
03/15/2007, 10:52 PM
Loctite Super Glue Gel. And Aquamend Epoxy from Home Depot. ;)

fighton03
03/15/2007, 11:11 PM
I have had a ton of trouble getting slimer frags to stick even with super glue. Any pointers?

REEFRHEAD
03/16/2007, 09:20 AM
the only problem with the glue i use the zip gel i believe is that as soon as the salt water hits it its starts to harden and it is almost impossible to glue frags underwater im currently also looking for a good glue that will not harrden so fats in salt water that i will be able to atatch it to a rock ya know i plan on usuing the aquastick myself soon for sps frags alrdy on plus but if the frag is fresh ie just cut off of the mother colony then dont evevr use the epoxy because when it hardens it turns hot and this heat kills the surreounding coral where you stuck it into the epoxy so glue it to a smaller rock first like undercover said

REEFRHEAD
03/16/2007, 09:20 AM
the only problem with the glue i use the zip gel i believe is that as soon as the salt water hits it its starts to harden and it is almost impossible to glue frags underwater im currently also looking for a good glue that will not harrden so fats in salt water that i will be able to atatch it to a rock ya know i plan on usuing the aquastick myself soon for sps frags alrdy on plugs but if the frag is fresh ie just cut off of the mother colony then dont evevr use the epoxy because when it hardens it turns hot and this heat kills the surreounding coral where you stuck it into the epoxy so glue it to a smaller rock first like undercover said

plyle02
03/16/2007, 10:22 AM
I have sucessfully attached frags, frag plugs, and LR plugs under water using Loctite super glue gel. I use alot, but squirt a nice bubble of the stuff to the LR I am adhesing to, then quickly stick the frag to it and hold in place for about a minute. Wait 15 to 20 min, and usually locked on solid. I have also drilled holes in my LR to match the diameter of the plug, then drill to depth of plug, and let the frag naturally encrust onto the LR surface. OT though, that's another thread, lol.....