PDA

View Full Version : M/h ??????

Pooks
03/15/2007, 06:52 PM
Hi all... I am about to purchase the proper lighting for my tank and dump a ton of $$$...but I am very confused???? I have a 60g and dont know the difference between "pulse start" or "probe start" and also "magnetic ballast" or "electric ballast"???? what is the proven combo for just lighting that I have to get???( i don't know what these things mean)?? I am looking to drop 900.00 and any help would be highly appreciated!!! TY ....Sally

Pooks
03/15/2007, 06:54 PM
If any of you experts out there can help me ??? I'm in a time frame so not to let the crittrts in my tank die off....

mwwhite
03/15/2007, 06:56 PM
Can't really help you -- too new also but have you tried posting in the lighting and filtration forum?

bertoni
03/15/2007, 07:23 PM
You just need to wait a bit longer.

The difference between pulse and probe start can be looked up for details, but they refer to the method of getting the bulb to start up. Pulse start just uses a special starting voltage, I think, and the probe start bulbs actually have a physical probe that's powered to start the arc. I think all of the single-ended aquarium bulbs are probe start, but it's not much of an issue.

Do you want to mount the lights in a canopy, or do you want to suspend pendants over the tank? Then, you'd need to choose between single-ended and double-ended, which isn't much of an issue, in reality. There are good bulbs of both types.

Pooks
03/15/2007, 07:28 PM
Hi Bertoni! I have a conopy and am looking at a retro kit... Just need to know what is the best way to go as not to have any regrets this time......you know what I mean????

bertoni
03/15/2007, 07:33 PM
Yes, definitely. :) I have had lots of regrets over lights. :(

I went high-end with my second and third MH setups. I like the Lumen Max 2 pendant. It might not fit into your canopy, though. That is likely true of many of the DE setups. The Lumenarc Mini is another good choice, from the data I've seen

I'd look at the PFO parallel reflectors and probably an IceCap electronic ballast. That ballast seems to work pretty well with a large number of bulbs, so you'll have some flexibility.

If you go with 250 W bulbs, that'll give you the most flexibility for a high-light tank. High efficiency 175 W bulbs would work as well, but there are only 2-3 or so in that category, I think.

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but T5 might be more energy-efficient for that size of tank, and perhaps cost less. I don't like the looks, but it's an option you could consider.

t5Nitro
03/15/2007, 07:33 PM
I would go with 250 watt DE 14k or 20k bulbs alone or for even better color add 2 VHO super actinic. That or 400w 20k halides which are good alone or for better colors yet put on the vho super actinics also.

Either or, 250w and 400w is probably the best to go. 14k or 20k bulb I would suggest. 14k and 20k bulbs burn a little more toward the blue side whereas 10k bulbs burn more white which might need actinic supplementing anyway. Good luck and have fun!

I think magnetic ballasts push HQI bulbs to a more of their max while electronic would burn HQI bulbs more blue, using less electricity and costing less.

Pooks
03/15/2007, 07:43 PM
OK I have a good question??? What does 10'000K mean as aposed to 6,500K ????

bertoni
03/15/2007, 08:11 PM
That number refers to the correlated color temperature of the bulb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

It's a very crude estimate of how the bulb might look. Higher color temperatures tend to be more blue. 6,500 K tends to be white to yellowish.

drummereef
03/15/2007, 08:19 PM
Loads of information on metal halide lighting here -
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=624185 ;)

bertoni
03/15/2007, 08:21 PM
Yes, and I keep meaning to mention the series on lighting in the recent issues of Reefkeeping.com.

mhhauser321
03/15/2007, 08:26 PM
I got a great article for you check it out

Part V: Everything You Need to Know About (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/sj/index.php)

drummereef
03/15/2007, 10:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9488079#post9488079 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mhhauser321
I got a great article for you check it out

Part V: Everything You Need to Know About (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/sj/index.php)

Great link! :thumbsup:

dbtoys
03/15/2007, 11:01 PM
bertoni and drummer are right i would also check out t5 by www.sunlightsupply.com i did and im glad i did