PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Blunders

Ovuel
03/16/2007, 12:06 AM
For those of you who follow all of the daily goings on on this forum you already have the majority of the background information on this. For those of you who don't, let me summarize.

Earlier this week I purchased....

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s250/robmilbut/Avatar.jpg

I picked this guy up at my LFS where they had him listed as a Cinnamon Clown, as that was the type of clown I finally decided I wanted. So here's my retarded Newb self posting pictures of my "Cinnamon Clown" which I am so very proud of, and Tomato keeps popping up, however nobody directly says, you have a Tomato there.

So a few days go by and I am walking through the same LFS and I see another "Cinnamon" about 1/2" bigger than mine with the same colors. This time however he is labeled "Tomato Clown". As you can imagine I was a little distressed, having been so excited about my Cinnamon Clown who was really a Tomato.

As most of you know once you buy a Clown you can't just abandon him/her, so I decided to stick with this little fellow. So here it is Tuesday evening, same day LFS gets their shipment and I'm walking through and what catches my eye...

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s250/robmilbut/Percpair-1.jpg

So I am very excited, because I have now "duped" the LFS and acquired two True Percs, which I thought were Onyx/Piccaso. As it turns out, they are "muts" at best. They are however two beautiful True Percs and I do plan to keep them.

Now we all know that you CANNOT mix different types of Clownfish in the same tank, but hey, they are all pretty new here, maybe they can get along for the night until I can make arrangements for the Tomato to move to a new home. All is going well as I release the First Perc (the larger of the two) into the Tomato's home. They spend about 5 seconds checking each other out, but nobody really seems to mind anybody elses company.

At this point I am very excited and think I have it made. So without hesitation I release the Second Perc (the smaller of the two) into the tank, and it doesn't take him and the Tomato more than 5 seconds until they lock up and go WWE on each other. Now WTH am I going to do. The Tomato obviously decided he wasn't going to mess with the Perc 2/3 times his size, however the little perc which was about the same size was in for an @$$ whiping.

So I grab the closest thing I have....a betta bowl minus the betta....immediately add tank water to it, and spend the next 10 minutes trying to capture the Tomato and keep the two little ones from squaring off. Apparently nobody told them that this wasn't an ironman match.

At this point I am in a pickle as I refuse to just "flush" a Clownfish even if he was only $10. So what else can you do at 10:30 at night other than go to Wal-Mart? Two and a half hours later here is what we have....

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s250/robmilbut/IMG_0068.jpg

I'm sure you can all imagine how thrilled the old lady is about this whole situation. The deal was I was going to be able to get ONE fish tank for now due to lack of space. Luckily for me, she has taken a liking to our little Elmo (Tomato) and he is now in "HER" 20H.

Do yourself a favor and bookmark this thread so the next time you are having a bad day and need somebody or something to laugh at, you can pull this up. :lol:

raoul
03/16/2007, 09:22 AM
Glad you were able to separate the two! It's always fun to add another fish tank :)

Ruskin
03/16/2007, 12:05 PM
Nice looking fish. Good score. Good work on the second tank as well. I just wish my clown was only 10 bucks! :)

Zestay
03/16/2007, 03:31 PM
just be sure she knows.. shes spending her cash on her live rock... not your cash on her live rock... =P plumb them together ina joined sump. increase system volume.. that way.. she can blame you when her tank crashes..

TOURKID
03/16/2007, 04:56 PM
lmao Ive had a few days like this lol glad everythings a little calmer for you now. until u decide to make it into another reef, throw in a few flower pots and pvc pieces, it'll make her feel a lil more comfortable :)

GSMguy
03/16/2007, 05:46 PM
he he

those percs are really nice worth evicting a tomato for
There is a reason we say dont mix clownfish around here, i give you two weeks before you want a BTA in that new tank l;)

Ovuel
03/16/2007, 10:31 PM
I still can't believe that they couldn't be calm for 10 seconds. I can tell you that the wife went out and picked up 20lbs of LS and 12-15lbs of LR today. She wants her tank to be a FOWLR.

Zestay,

One thing you will learn when you get an old lady of your own one day. In a relationship women control 50% of the checkbook and 100% of the $ex.....In all seriousness though, we don't use the your money/my money system. The way we see it, it all goes to the same thing anyways.

Also, do you really think that two inexperienced reefers should run common plumbing in to two seperate tanks? Sure sounds to me like it could have all of the makings of another midnight trips to Wally World.

Slakker
03/17/2007, 12:52 PM
Lucky shot on the second tank and getting the wife into it...sounds like you're just about the luckiest man alive...haha!

Congrats!