PDA

View Full Version : What is this growing on my leather?

lmuller1
03/16/2007, 09:42 AM
These brown growths have appeared on my leather and I don't know what they are. A couple showed up a few weeks ago. They seemed to sluff off after 4 or 5 days. Now some more have appeared. And the leather obviously doesn't like them. http://users.adelphia.net/~mmuller1/aquarium_pics/leather2.jpg
http://users.adelphia.net/~mmuller1/aquarium_pics/leather.jpg
Should I be worrying about these things:confused:

afelder
03/16/2007, 10:29 AM
Those are the same problem I had with my fiji yellow and my long polyp toadstool. Give it and iodine dip and hope for the best. My long polyp toadstool is bouncing back my fiji yellow is going to get fragged to remove the dead areas.

lmuller1
03/16/2007, 03:15 PM
Could I cut off the ones that are on the edge? The tissue where the first ones were attached has regenerated after they fell off. Is this a tumor or a parasite?

afelder
03/16/2007, 03:30 PM
You could try cutting off the parts near the edge. I suspect they are bacterial in nature rather than parasite. The iodine dip worked very well for the toadstool. The fiji is more fragile but seems to be slowly recovering. HTH

lisabm
03/17/2007, 08:55 AM
im...what is that leather called...i acquired one from a friend and am trying to find some info on it and can not find any anywere...such as water flow etc....the little things do not come out anymore (meaning the little tentacles on it)...thanks...lisa

lmuller1
03/17/2007, 09:16 PM
I believe it is a fiji leather. Mine likes moderate flow. I run VHO and T5s. The VHO are all blue actinic and T5s are 1 blue actinic and 2 daylights.
I found that consistent parameters are important. Calcium @ 450, Ph @ 8.05-8.2, temp @ 78 - 80, Sol @ 1.025. The other thing that it really likes is to be fed cyclopee. I spritz some at it once a week or so.
It does go through periods of 3-4 days when it curls up and looks awful. I always freak when I see that, but then it comes out in full bloom again.

dqualls
03/22/2007, 11:56 AM
If those areas aren't getting worse I would leave them alone other than blowing the area off with a turkey baster. They will heal.

lmuller1
03/24/2007, 06:24 PM
So far I have done nothing but watch. The leather is doing fine. The areas that the growth are seem to be scarring over.
I wish I could find out what they are. I have had this leather for over a year and I have not put anything new in the tank for a month or more. Is there anyone who knows what they are?