PDA

View Full Version : My RBTA Lives!

jimwat
03/16/2007, 10:51 AM
My RBTA disappeared a couple of months ago and I thought it had died. Not exactly sure what happened, but I am guessing it was either the kalk (pH) incident or my copperband that must of made it go into hiding. Anyway, it reappeared last week looking pretty sad, but it is still alive. The copperband is now gone and the tank params have been steady, so I am hoping that this guy can make a recovery.

Basically, all of its tentacles are now little nubs with very little color. The base of the animal and the mouth look pretty normal to me (the base may be slightly lighter in color). Since it has nothing left to really grab with, I have been placing food (silversides) on its mouth so it is able pull it in. It is eating about a 1/2 inch piece every day or two. It "appears" to be getting better (a little more color, nubs a little more pronounced).

What are the chances of this guy making it? And, is there anything I could/should be doing to help it along? I was thinking that varying the diet would be helpful, but I am not sure that I could get it to grab anything too small or mushy (I was thinking about trying some Formula 1). Thoughts?

Thanks

Anemone
03/16/2007, 11:00 AM
The feeding you are doing is perfect, and is what will give your RBTA the best chance for survival. And since your anemone is accepting food, I'd say the chances of a recovery are pretty good.

Varying the diet right now isn't that critical - sopme source of protein and light are what it needs, but you might want to looking into soaking your silversides in selcon to give the anemone a more rounded nutrient boost.

I'm not sure how eay it will be to get Formula 1 to stay together long enough to allow the mouth to expand and to be consumed (although they seem to have added more gel binder to Formula 1 of late, so maybe it will work), but you can also get some frozen krill and try feeding that.

Good luck with the anemone... oh, and pictures! :D

Kevin

jimwat
03/16/2007, 12:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the formula 1. I'll pick up some krill and Selcon (would Zoe work?). Also, is it possible to over feed the anemone?

This guy is not much to look at presently (looks like a stump with a mouth), but I should take a "before" shot (for if it makes it).

Any ideas on how long the recovery period might be for a anemone in this shape? I am guessing it will be a while based on the progress so far.

SEAFLOWERS
03/16/2007, 12:31 PM
it can take awhile to get back to normal,

SEAFLOWERS
03/16/2007, 12:38 PM
Sorry I hit enter before I got to finish my thought. A little story for you. I had one about three months ago that I thought it was going to die, it wouldn't eat, and it's tentacles were almost non existent. Then one day it decided to move to the side of the tank that faces my southern window, and what do you know it is now triple the size it was to begin with. These animals are very good at snapping back if your water is good and you have patience. BTW I don't spot feed at all, they just get whatever the fish miss. Good luck to you, I hope it survives

jimwat
03/16/2007, 01:39 PM
SEAFLOWERS - On a side note, last week before my anemone came out of hiding I had decided to get another one. Actually, the pet store had a very healthy looking BTA with a coloration I had not seen before (for only $36) so I had to take it home.

Anyway, the BTA is greenish with a purple spot at the tip of each tentacle (very similar to the one in your avatar pic). Do you still have this BTA? Any more pictures?

BTW - the new BTA is doing wonderfully! I'll take a snap of it when I get the "before" shot of stumpy :D

RedEyeElf
03/16/2007, 04:16 PM
so far, 6 months of having a white stump like yours
I feed silversides soaked in Zoe once a week, and just silversides or mysis acouple more times aweek
he looks better for afew hours, then shrinks back down

he is starved from being in hiding like yours