PDA

View Full Version : help with bare bottom please

detroit_fan
03/16/2007, 01:57 PM
ok, i set up a new 75 gallon and decided to go bb. I bought plexi instead of starboard due to price. I cut my plexi and layed it on top of the tempered bottom glass. In my hurry to get this tank going i forgot to silicon around the edges of the plexi and now i have detritus and everything else getting between the plexi and the bottom glass- i have a feeling this is gonna be a big nitrate trap correct?
The way i see it is i only have 2 options- i can remove all the LR and water, silicon the plexi and keep the livestock in a rubbermaid container for a few days while it cures or i could remove the plexi all together and then everything will be able to go right back in.

Would it be ok to leave the bottom glass uncovered if it's tempered or would i be better off siliconing the plexi in? If a rock slide can break the tempered glass i guess i have no option but i figured i would ask. Thanks for any opinions.

rustybucket145
03/16/2007, 02:32 PM
Depending on the thickness of your plexi I doubt it's gonna do much to prevent a break. Starboard shouldn't be that much more than plexi. did you check at walmart or target? How bout a local kitchen supply house?

petoonia
03/16/2007, 02:35 PM
I would remove the plexi. I've been running a BB tank for a while now with nothing on the bottom, the glass is just fine. It's really not neccessary to put anything down.

Make sure your rockwork is stable!!!!

detroit_fan
03/16/2007, 02:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9493711#post9493711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by petoonia
I would remove the plexi. I've been running a BB tank for a while now with nothing on the bottom, the glass is just fine. It's really not neccessary to put anything down.

Make sure your rockwork is stable!!!!
i really want to go true bb like you, but even if i make the rockstable a fall is probably gonna happen at some point. I just wonder if a falling rock would break the tempered botttom?

dippin61
03/16/2007, 02:55 PM
problem with the plexi is, after a time, it will become very brittle, and tend to bow a bit.

better to go with starboard.

petoonia
03/16/2007, 02:59 PM
I used larger base pieces of rock then put smaller pieces on top. So far this has worked for me, I havent had any rocks fall. If you think a rockslide is a possibility then you should keep it in. Starboard would probably be better since it is stronger.

Good luck!!!

detroit_fan
03/16/2007, 03:06 PM
i had an internal overflow box put in this tank when i bought it and the lfs used a lot of silicon around the edges so even if i go with the starboard i'm affraid it won't sit exaclty flush on the bottom and i'm affraid stuff will settle under there too.

what do you need to cut starboard? special blade or anything?

xenon
03/16/2007, 03:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9493985#post9493985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by detroit_fan
i had an internal overflow box put in this tank when i bought it and the lfs used a lot of silicon around the edges so even if i go with the starboard i'm affraid it won't sit exaclty flush on the bottom and i'm affraid stuff will settle under there too.

what do you need to cut starboard? special blade or anything?

Use a router to round the bottom edges so that the silicone does not get in the way and it will sit flush on the bottom. That's what I did and it works perfecly.