PDA

View Full Version : 125 fo with no sump?

msudawgs56
03/16/2007, 08:12 PM
Hey,

I need some advise. I have an opportunity to get a 125 that is not drilled. I want to start a FO aggresive tank and want to know if i could go sumpless? Of course I would do my weekly water changes and have a good skimmer. What do you guys think?

Thank you...

scoutmaniak
03/16/2007, 08:16 PM
it will work great. make sure your other filters are up to the right spec. a skimmer is a great idea, with a sumpless tank. ive ran a sumpless tank for over a year and it looks great!!

msudawgs56
03/16/2007, 08:33 PM
thanks scout, i appreciate the response.

ljsreptiles
03/16/2007, 10:43 PM
I think you should at least use an external overflow box, and run a wet/dry for a a fish only. You'll have a much happier aquarium.

DamnPepShrimp
03/17/2007, 10:34 AM
My brother has his 125g set up w/o a sump. You need good skimming, a DSB, good amount of live rock and a light bioload. He only had a half moon angel and a purple tank, so there wasn't much waste in the tank, also a good sand bed and 100lbs or more of LR. You could use an overflow box, that is what I have. Benefits because it's extra water volume and I have a refugium with chaeto algae to help reduce nitrates etc.

zoebeaglezoe
03/17/2007, 12:16 PM
I would have your tank drilled and go with a sump

It can be done with out a sump but you have better options for a

skimmer for that size of a tank

Ironsheikh
03/17/2007, 03:40 PM
it can be done sumpless if you want just have good flow and dont over do the bioload.

I started with a 20g fshonly w/ only an emperor 400 for over 4 yrs....

so set it up how you see fit. I do prefer to have a good skimmer and prefilter to a 20 g long sump just for macro, pods and rock...
its not that expensive if you get it piece by piece.

you can always go hangon refugium too

IwannaClarion
03/18/2007, 02:16 PM
ive been running a sumpless 125gal tank for about 6 months now. i have about 125lbs of crushed coral/aragonite sand for substrate, and just over 100lbs of live rock. im running a pair of penguin 350 power filters, a pair of Fluval 405 canister filters, and a pair of hang-on skimmers for filtration

my only fish are a 6" maculosus angel and a 4" purple tang tho... just dont put a whole lotta fish in the tank and youll be fine

gusto1
03/18/2007, 05:44 PM
I was thinking of doing the same thing but just with a 150 gallon, I'm currently running a 75 gallon FOWLR, with a 24" hob refugium and a aquac remora pro, I'm going to upgrade to the 150 in a few weeks and I'm debating on buying the tank regular or buying it reef ready. the only thing that's holding me back is that I'm not exactly ready to put in a sump with a refugium because during my upgrade I will also be remodeling my basement. my only thought is to maybe get the reef ready and set it up with the hob refugium run the 2 aqua c remoras I have then eventually turn the 75 gallon into a big sump/refugium. I think thats a good Idea, just the last time a put a sump/refugium on my 75 gallon it was a nightmare but it was all my fault.

good luck

flfirefighter13
03/18/2007, 08:26 PM
It can be done, fowlr can use a canister filter even, You will need to do more h20 changes if you dont use a skimmer but it can be done. LR and sand will help but a skimmer or changes will be needed to remove solids effeciently. All in all if you have the chance id put a sump under it, more volume and easier skimmer choices, but if its not a option youll be fine.

Deacon
03/19/2007, 03:54 PM
Tunze skimmers can be used in tank.