PDA

View Full Version : Can I attach a yellow fiji leather to a rock using ICE frag glue?

MarineGirl411
03/17/2007, 08:02 PM
Just purchased a yellow fiji leather coral. Can I attach the bottom if it by glue it to my live rock? Just wanted to make sure this was safe. I have the frag glue I-CE. Please let me know. Thank you. =)

Nagel
03/18/2007, 07:38 AM
I tend to not use glue on leathers because they can and do shrink, and then float away from the glue. Some also slime, and that makes the glue impossible to use.

My thoughts would be to rubberband it to the rock, but do not make the rubberband so tight that it constricts the coral. You need to leave a little wiggle room, or the rubberband WILL cut right through the coral, and you'll have a roaming coral.

I also tend to wedge a soft coral between two rocks (one existing rock in the structure, and a smaller one to hold the coral in place for a few days)..

HTH

ps. that Fiji yellow LOVES brighter lights and LOVES higher flow, so place it accordingly.

MarineGirl411
03/18/2007, 01:12 PM
Hi,
I actually have it in a pretty bright spot and in very good flow. I was worried about fishing line people were suggestings to use. I thought it might end up cutting the flesh of the coral. I will try today. He did come with a very very tiny piece of LR. I tried putting glue on that and placing him in the area I thought he'd like best and look best. Well today he's kind of lop sided. So I'll try again. Thank you for your reply.

Nagel
03/18/2007, 10:54 PM
you can glue the little rubble that the coral came on to a rock, that works..

The fishing line also works, but the key is to leave it a bit loose. If you tighten the line too much, it will cut through..

MarineGirl411
03/19/2007, 12:39 AM
Hi,
Well tonight I tied a little bit of clear plastic tubing around it. I thought that would be the most gentle thing to use. I don't want to risk cutting it. So far it looks a little better. I don't think it really likes the tubing tied around him though.He's straight though, so that's why I think he looks better. TY for the help

cichlid nutz
03/20/2007, 09:36 AM
Try putting a plastic toothpick about midway in the leather and then iodine dip it. You can then rubber band it wherever you want. Leave it in about 3 weeks then remove it and should be holding fast.

kensilvey
04/02/2007, 09:53 PM
Plastic swords for olives or what ever in drinks, work great break of handle of sword but leave a knub so cutting can't slide off and glue plastic to rubble rock with cutting touching rock.

MarineGirl411
04/02/2007, 10:51 PM
That seems like it would really hurt the coral. I ended up attaching him to a smaller piece of rock and then put him in the substrate. He likes that much more than on the rocks. He still slumps from time to time. I hear that is normal for Fiji's. Anyone know why they do these?

MarineGirl411
04/02/2007, 10:52 PM
this*

sdaousa
04/04/2007, 10:33 PM
I've fragged alot of xenia and leather using fishing line. They'll be fine.

Gomer
04/05/2007, 06:20 PM
Ouch

That seems like it would really hurt the coral.

Consider that people often frag leathers by slicing them up with razors or scissors, or the people that propogate shrooms with the "blender method", I don't think a little sword stab is a big deal :)