PDA

View Full Version : Is my montipora dying?

meekel
03/18/2007, 07:48 PM
hi, about a month ago my mh light capasitor blew, so my corals went about 4 days with only t5 lighting no mh....anyway when the new ballaster was installed my montipora was covered with green and dark brown algae the brown could be dark green can't tell.....and today it still is covered.......there are some clean parts but mostly covered......is it dying???? or will it take awhile to clear up??? is there anything i can do to speed the clearing up process??? any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Thanks.

Pistonkev
03/18/2007, 07:57 PM
Post a picture if you can.

meekel
03/18/2007, 08:12 PM
the algae thats on it is almost like a film it's not thick you can see thru it, not sure how to post a pic or how to take a good pic

Pistonkev
03/18/2007, 08:29 PM
Can you blow it off with a power head?

theatrus
03/18/2007, 08:33 PM
I've had montiporas gotten stressed like that (especially caps) due to shipping problems. If some parts are healthy, it will almost always recover (or at least grow over dead parts).

My personal check for montipora caps: If you pull it out of the water for 30 seconds, and then lightly touch it, do you notice slime? If so, its alive and will be fine (though not all of it may become alive again, it may end up growing over these dead parts).

Reef_bones
03/18/2007, 08:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9509448#post9509448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pistonkev
Can you blow it off with a power head?

I wouldn't recommend doing that. A turkey baster, yeah, but not a power head. You'll do more damage than good.

Give it some time, you'll know sooner than later.