PDA

View Full Version : does phosphate contribute to...

beaglelax
03/18/2007, 08:54 PM
does phosphate contribute to green slime alge , and red slime alge ? and if some what are the sets in reduces the high lvls so that i can get rid of the slime's ?

ty vm
beagle

bertoni
03/18/2007, 09:28 PM
Phosphate is a major nutrient for all forms of life. This article discusses how to reduce the levels:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/chem.htm

The first step would be to check your feeding level. Then, a phosphate reactor might be a good idea, or growing and harvesting a macroalga might help. What is the phosphate level currently?

beaglelax
03/18/2007, 10:29 PM
lvl i dont know i dont have a test kit this is a F/o tank so there is no room to grow macro alge i run a berlin system tanks ... if there and good chemical media on the market that i can put in to help draw out the phosphate ?

puddldude
03/19/2007, 05:20 AM
there are many different phosphate removel medias on the market. I have used both Phosguard and Phoslock with good luck. I prefer Phoslock though

Billybeau1
03/19/2007, 11:02 AM
GFO's seem to work the best. I use PhoSar by Warner Marine and it works extremely well.

Po4 removers are like salt mixes. Many people have opinions on what is best.

I say, whatever works for you is the best. :D

bertoni
03/19/2007, 11:47 AM
Since this tank is fish-only, an aluminum-based meda like PhosGuard might be fine. I use a GFO (iron-based) since I keep corals in my tanks.

daytonians
03/19/2007, 03:36 PM
YES!!!!! Phosphates are the main cause of red slime (cyano) and dinoflaglets.

Phosban type products will help to remove the inorganic phosphates, carbon will help remove organic phosphates. You need to remove both.

Your best bet though, is to get a better skimmer. I used to run phosban and carbon constantly. I finally built myself a huge skimmer, and no longer need them.

beaglelax
03/19/2007, 04:52 PM
i thought aluminum was bad for all swf tanks

daytonians
03/19/2007, 04:55 PM
No, the kind of aluminum used in phos absorbers is pretty safe. In general, the iron based ones are better though.

bertoni
03/19/2007, 05:38 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/chem.htm

That article discusses PhosGuard. Corals seem to be the most likely area of trouble, from my understanding.

mcintosh
03/20/2007, 02:38 AM
One other suggestion that does not get posted that often (although bertoni touched on it) is growing macro algae in the main tank with the fish. In a reef the macro is a disaster as it invades your corals domain, but is a fish only setup the algae would be a welcome addition. The best looking angels I have seen are in a tank with large amounts of macro and hair algae. They are fat, dumb and happy picking on the assortment of algaes all day.

Also it looks nice in a F/O tank to have some plant life (in my opinion)