PDA

View Full Version : Octopus VS Euroreef

Tron87
03/18/2007, 10:19 PM
Right now in my skimmer shopping adventures I am looking at the Reef Octopus DNW-110 Recirc skimmer and the Euo-Reef RS80 skimmer.

They are both very similar prices. I think that Euro model is just a pinweel type. It feels like I'd be getting way more bang for my buck with the Octopus but I can't find many reviews on their performance.

Does anyone have any advice, insight or infomation that would help me out in this situation? I'm mostly looking for info on how Octopus skimmers have performed.

Also, If you think on of the Octopus needle wheels or any cheaper type skimmers would work for a medium bioload 50 gal reef with 29 gal sump then enlighten me there as well.

thank you.

Jim_S
03/18/2007, 11:08 PM
The octo skimmers give a good bang for the buck.

There is a difference in craftsmanship, and the pinwheels ER uses are much more efficient than the needle wheels that are used by octo.

Size for size, ER are better skimmers. Some will say do a mesh mod to the octo, but you will also have the same results with a mesh mod to the ER.

If you are looking to save some money, the octo will work fine. If you want a great skimmer right out of the box, get the ER.

HTH

Jim

hahnmeister
03/19/2007, 12:44 AM
Keep in mind that with any octopus skimmer, you also have other models made by other mfg's that use the same body, but swap out the pumps for something else. Many of these other companies are using pumps that are clones of the Gen-X's that ER uses... for instance... the AquaEuro skimmers that you can get at reefnut.com... they use some pumps that you can easily mod to meshwheel and get most impressive results.

A sea K
03/19/2007, 06:29 AM
I have a Octopus 110 and have upgraded the pump to a GenX1500. Not at all impressed. would say the skimmer is OK but not what I had hoped. So far it produces fairly well but the skimmate is very wet and a light green, tank conditions suggest it is not pulling out the nutrients too well. This is on a 65 gal w/ a 29 gal sump and 6 small fish. I would go with the ER if I were you. The only reason I did not is my sump is about 1/4" too small so the ER wouldnt fit.
I do feel the octo is a well built skimmer for the money and it may be the way I have it setup that is the problem and not the skimmer but I would still go with the ER. Chris

skimmy
03/19/2007, 09:36 AM
imo, there is no way octopus is anywhere near as good as a euroreef skimmer, because the halia pumps are trash and so is the venturi. also, meshmod works much better on a plate style impellar like the sedra/aquabee/eheim nw.
the only thing remotely similar is the build quality of the body, but the design of the euroreef body kicks octo's butt as well, especially with the new wedge adjuster on the outlet, nice air valve, and new better needle wheel doesnt hurt either.

Tron87
03/19/2007, 07:24 PM
I know everyone here appreciates the impossobility of actually zeroing in on one specific skimmer so how bout I just go wide Open.

Does anyone have any recomendation for an in-sump skimmer rated at 100 or so gallons for Under or around $200 dollars?

Thank you

hahnmeister
03/19/2007, 10:57 PM
Aqua Euros from reefnut.com... multiple models are available.

The AE classic 250, the AE recirc 135...

http://www.reefnut.com/reefshop/index.php?cPath=47&osCsid=ebeef538cac059ced947bdf209173379

chem-e
03/19/2007, 11:07 PM
I have the equivalent Pacific Coast skimmer and it's a nice skimmer, but I use the mesh mod. It pulls nice dark, smelly skimmate as I skim on the dry side. I have mine hooked up externally, so I need a recirc skimmer. If I was to go with an internal skimmer, I'd probably get the ER for the build quality.

DrBegalke
03/19/2007, 11:23 PM
id get the largest diameter skimmer you can, then do some mods to it...