PDA

View Full Version : Help me Choose my Centerpiece fish for my 90G

Leopard Man
03/19/2007, 05:07 AM
Ok,

I have an irregular half a cube - 30Lx24Wx30H, which measures 93G. I also have a 45G sump, a Deltec AP600 and the tank is BB with 40Kgs of LR.

Its been established for 3 months now and I currently have:

1 pair of onyx clowns
1 solar fairy wrasse

My previous center fish which was a copperband died of what seemed to be malnutrition, so I'm looking for a new center fish.

My choices include:

Majestic Angel (probably a bad choice)

OR

Copper band again (another bad choice, unless I get one that eats dried foods)

OR

A small tang, perhaps a Kole

I will not take my chances on any dwarf angels as I will be keeping SPS and clams in the future.

I may also add a pair of Lineatus on top of the center fish. This will make my total fish to 6.

Thanks in advance.

gasman059
03/19/2007, 05:21 AM
pair of Lineatus NIice
How about a genichantus-jap shallowtail-pretty and personable as well as affordable.

karid
03/19/2007, 08:00 AM
I am also thinking about this for my 90.

For tangs:
-Kole
-Tomini

I have also heard yellow and purple tangs would work, but they get so agressive I am not sure I want one in my tank. I am not a huge fan of tangs, especially the ich factor, so I am also considering:

-a small rabbitfish (doliatus or maybe one-spot foxface)
-or a genicanthus angel (reef safe, either Bellus or Watanabe)

I also love the looks of the copperband, but not sure I want to risk the fish. Part of the problem though may have been because your tank is only 3 months old. That particular fish I believe requires an established tank with lots of natural food for it to graze on until it is weaned on prepared foods. Also, you would probably want to feed it frozen food (mysis, marine cuisine, butterfly food, etc), not necessarily dried flakes. Not sure what you meant by dried foods though. You could wait a year and then try a Copperband again if you want.

I am also interested in what other ideas people will have!

Amphiprion
03/19/2007, 08:38 AM
Those smaller tang species seem like they would work out just fine, so long as there is adequate exposed sand surface area. I think a healthy copperband in a more established tank (as karid said) could potentially work as well. IMHO, that tank does not provide the swimming room needed for Genicanthus spp. The rabbitfish would work while they remain small, but both of those species reach 8"+ eventually. Maybe consider a dwarf angel species, like C. loricula (or more difficult species if you allow the tank to mature).

ReeferMonkey
03/19/2007, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9512143#post9512143 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amphiprion
Those smaller tang species seem like they would work out just fine, so long as there is adequate exposed sand surface area. I think a healthy copperband in a more established tank (as karid said) could potentially work as well. IMHO, that tank does not provide the swimming room needed for Genicanthus spp. The rabbitfish would work while they remain small, but both of those species reach 8"+ eventually. Maybe consider a dwarf angel species, like C. loricula (or more difficult species if you allow the tank to mature).

If you rule out Genicanthus sp. Angels due to swimming space then there is DEFINITELY not enough room for a tang.

The dimensions of your tank really are best suited for fish that dwell in the reef structure like Dottybacks, Basslets, Gobies, Blennies, etc. I personally wouldn't put a big fish in there despite the fact that you have 90g to work with.

karid
03/19/2007, 09:48 AM
Oh yea - I forgot you have a 90g cube (2.5' longest dimension). That does make it different to work with in terms of livestock than your typical 90g (4' longest dimension).

I wouldn't put a tang, rabbitfish, or a genicanthus angel in that tank. ReeferMonkey is right. Since you already said you don't want a dwarf angel, maybe:

Another wrasse (leopard or mystery?)
Flasher wrasse
Shrimp goby and shrimp pair?
Mandarin (when your tank is old enough)
Royal Gramma is cool looking
firefish pair
chalk bass
yellowtail fang blenny (these are SO pretty!)

King-Kong
03/19/2007, 10:22 AM
Hawaiin Flame Fairy Wrasse Harem, or Maybe a bunch of Bartlett's Anthias...

Instead of a show piece fish, make it show piece fishes! :)

SDguy
03/19/2007, 10:27 AM
I agree with kong. The repetition of form/color by having several of one fish will be like having a centerpiece.

Leopard Man
03/19/2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks a lot guys!

Good responses and great ideas.

I think you guys maybe right, my tank was not mature enough for the copperband. It was eating frozen blood worms and chopped shrimp, but never touched granules and other dried foods. I have seen coppers that do eat granules and if I see one again, I could try keeping one again.

So from what I gather, I should not get:

Any angel, whether it's large or a dwarf variety
Any tang
Any fish that needs sand e.g. Leopard Wrasse as my tank is Bare Bottom.

Fish that look promising to me are:

A pair of fire fish
A mandarin (when my tank hits the 1 year mark, although this maybe out competed for food by the other fish)
Mystery Wrasse

Cheers

ReeferMonkey
03/19/2007, 11:13 AM
I'm not so sure you have to rule out all dwarf angels. I'm planning on a C. argi being my centerpiece in my 60g (36lx24wx18h). IME they're pretty well behaved around SPS and clams. If you have some money to spend you could always try an Interruptus. :)

Mystery Wrasses are also very, very cool fish.

SDguy
03/19/2007, 11:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9513283#post9513283 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReeferMonkey
I'm not so sure you have to rule out all dwarf angels. I'm planning on a C. argi being my centerpiece in my 60g (36lx24wx18h). IME they're pretty well behaved around SPS and clams. If you have some money to spend you could always try an Interruptus. :)

Mystery Wrasses are also very, very cool fish.

Just have a fish trap available, in case. One of my argi's tore my acros and gorgonians apart :(

Amphiprion
03/19/2007, 12:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9512507#post9512507 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReeferMonkey
If you rule out Genicanthus sp. Angels due to swimming space then there is DEFINITELY not enough room for a tang.

The dimensions of your tank really are best suited for fish that dwell in the reef structure like Dottybacks, Basslets, Gobies, Blennies, etc. I personally wouldn't put a big fish in there despite the fact that you have 90g to work with.

Not really, I'd have to completely disagree for the species mentioned. I was basing this on two particular reasons--a) the Genicanthus spp. angel species get larger than the tangs mentioned and b) are primarily midwater planktivores, accustomed to quite a bit of swimming space, only occasionally swimming downward to nip on the substrate. The two tang species, alternatively tend to stay confined to substrate areas where they primarily feed, though they can swim actively above it as well. This makes them more ideal for a setup like this that doesn't necessarily have much length.

SDguy
03/19/2007, 12:45 PM
Yeah, my tomini is a real rock hugger

TheSaltwaterGuy
03/19/2007, 04:32 PM
most tangs require at least a 4 foot tank.

Leopard Man
03/19/2007, 10:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9513792#post9513792 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amphiprion
Not really, I'd have to completely disagree for the species mentioned. I was basing this on two particular reasons--a) the Genicanthus spp. angel species get larger than the tangs mentioned and b) are primarily midwater planktivores, accustomed to quite a bit of swimming space, only occasionally swimming downward to nip on the substrate. The two tang species, alternatively tend to stay confined to substrate areas where they primarily feed, though they can swim actively above it as well. This makes them more ideal for a setup like this that doesn't necessarily have much length.

Amphiprion,

Hi, if I'm reading it correctly, you'd advocate a kole or tomini tang for my dimensions of 30Lx24Wx30H?

Cheers

Amphiprion
03/20/2007, 06:26 AM
They are much smaller tangs and are well suited to smaller spaces than most other species due to their habits. Your dimensions are about the minimum I'd recommend, but should work for one of those two species.

King-Kong
03/20/2007, 06:32 AM
Could probably also consider a Convict tang. they are heavy grazers.

Leopard Man
03/20/2007, 07:49 AM
Amphiprion and King Kong,

Thanks a bunch! Sounds good. I think I'll try a tang this time, one of the three you guys mentioned! Should fare better than a copper band.

Amphiprion
03/20/2007, 08:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9521226#post9521226 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Leopard Man
Amphiprion and King Kong,

Thanks a bunch! Sounds good. I think I'll try a tang this time, one of the three you guys mentioned! Should fare better than a copper band.

You are very welcome. One word of warning on the tomini bristletooth, though: sometimes they can be difficult, usually more so than other species. Be sure you have plenty of open sand for grazing, as well. It can greatly benefit this species.

SDguy
03/20/2007, 09:31 AM
I agree with amphiprion. Do not get a skinny one. Mine was skinny when I bought him, and frankly I didn't think he would make it, even a month later. Mine had a very hard time eating. Their mouths are not designed for large pieces of food. Mine would only eat presoaked crushed up flake food for the first couple months.

Leopard Man
03/20/2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks Amphiprion and SDguy,

Will consider your comments if I decide to get a tomini!

;)