PDA

View Full Version : ASM G3 Mod - now skimmer too sensative

Reefugee
03/19/2007, 08:36 AM
Hello All,

I did the recirculation and gate valve mod on my ASM G3 skimmer. Now the skimmer is WAY too sensitive. Just a fraction of a turn can on gate valve can make the skimmer over flow. Any idea what might be going on? Is it possible that I don't have enough flow feeding the skimmer?

Anybody know if it's possible for me to just buy the body - just incase I want to undo the recirculation mod.

Thanks
MInh

GOLDMAROON
03/19/2007, 11:08 AM
I have had this problme as well and I now have it resolved.

More than likely you have too much flow going to the skimmer. For the recirc you only need 150 to 200 gph max flow for the skimmer.

SLow the flow down and open the gate valve almost all the way. OUll the collectio cup off the top, and slowly stat closing the gatevalve to bring the foam level to the throat of the collection cup.

You need to wait about 2 -3 minutes on each time you turn the gatevalve as it takes a little bit for the system to catch up.

Once you have your foam at the throat of the skimmer put the colleciton cup on and check on it over the next hour or so.

As the skimmer recircs you will start to pull skimmate and it will be a very dark brown coffee color (at least it is on mine)

MY buddy has the same skimmer and is running it stock. The biggest difference I see is that his skimmer skims constatnly and with the recircs you will see it skim for an hour of so then it ooks like its not working so you adjust it and thats were the overflows happen. Once you see foam coming down to the inside of the collection cup, don't make any more adjustments until you have let is skim for a few hours.

On mine it has been skimming for 4 days sicne the last time I emptied and I only have a 1/4 of an inch of skimmate. THe difference compared to stock is my skimmate looks like coffe and the stock one looks like green tea.

I will warn you thouogh the smell is absolutely putrid. So only empty it out in a well ventiliated area. (lol)

Hope I was able to help.