PDA

View Full Version : small hole in leather toadstoll

scarpenter
03/19/2007, 09:33 AM
I noticed a small hole in my brown toadstoll. It is a huge leather, so the hole is the size of a bee-bee. Any ideas on what might have caused this?

scarpenter
03/19/2007, 09:33 AM
I mean Toadstool

dqualls
03/22/2007, 11:46 AM
I have a lg. Toadstool that has developed holes in the past. You need to rule out anything eating it at night. If you don't find anything then make sure it has good flow and blow off any decaying tissue. If it continues to get worse you can dip it in a seperate container with Lugol's iodine following the directions on the bottle. Mine has always healed but it takes a couple of weeks to begin to open up again.

reeferman75
03/28/2007, 01:21 AM
my huge leather devolpes holes the it drops of a little frag and grows right back up. I get about 8-12 frags a month. I dont know what it does it like that but it does. I will try and take you pictures tomorrow she is doing it now.

johnd4g
03/28/2007, 07:54 PM
When my toadstool developed a hole in the top, it eventually grew into into a crease running the full height of the coral. The crease got deeper and deeper. Then the toadstool divided into two seperate corals. Now I have two completely seperate toadstools and they look perfectly healthy. The division took place over about a months time. It was very exciting to watch!
Good luck with yours.

DarkStar76
03/29/2007, 01:56 PM
My experience is the same as the above posts... my toadstool has a small hole in it right now, and I expect it to eventually drop off a piece of its crown and then I'll have two. I have other leathers that have done this extensively.... At one point, I had 1 very large leather... after seemingly "falling apart," I now have about 6 of them. It looks a little ugly while its happening, but doesn't seem to be a sign of any major problems.

LeslieH
04/01/2007, 11:17 AM
There's a predatory whelk called Rapa rapa which is a dangerous & usually invisible hitchhiker with leathers & finger leathers. It tunnels into the stalks & stays there, eating the coral from the inside. The coral will obviously be stressed with no obvious cause. The only sign the snail is there will be a small hole or depression where the snail originally entered. Scary, huh? There are some images of the shell (minus the actual animal) here: http://www.gastropods.com/0/Shell_200.html