PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Converting to BB/ Help!

plyle02
03/19/2007, 07:21 PM
Hello All,
I recently brought down my 20 gallon refugium, due to infestation of flatworms, the brown kind. I have a 2-3" sandbed in my main tank, and am having a major brown algae outbreak on the sandbed. I am testing religously, and all my parameters are in check. My nitrates <5, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, 8.2 ph, .01 po4, 410-420 Ca, 9-10 dkh, and 1250 mg. I am thinking of converting to BB, and eliminate the sandbed all together. I recently installed a phosban reactor, to help assist in bringing down phospates from .03 I am also having a stn issue with two stag's, and am worried I have a major problem at hand. There are no detectable pests on any of my corals, and am just wondering if a BB style tank could help resolve some of these issues. Anyone.....

Jay4Robin
03/19/2007, 07:43 PM
Check your R/O di unit. Have you tested for TDS?? I have DSB I would have at least a 4inch DSB. If you have a good refugium that would help reduce your PO4.

plyle02
03/19/2007, 09:25 PM
Tested TDS, and replaced filters within last 2 weeks, testing 0 BTW. I think I am re-cycling, and cannot understand the algae outbreak that I am having right now. The sandbed is at least 2 years old, could that be the issue? I am tired of seeing the nasty algae on the sandbed, and think that the removal of the refugium is causing negative effects on my overall system. This is why I am contemplating the removal of the sand bed in the main tank, and just going BB.... Thank you.....

Jay4Robin
03/19/2007, 09:29 PM
removing the refugium would cause thie outbreak. I would just run phosphate remover media and do the water changes. Go slow. Otherwise you will be going crazy. Get a clean up crew.

plyle02
03/19/2007, 09:54 PM
I thought so, but test seriously.... I am also diligent on up keep, that is what has been driving me crazy. As far as a clean up crew, I have 40+ pacific turbo snails, 10 mexicans, lots of hermits, and other various inverts. I do water changes every week, at least 12 gallons of my total of 85-90 water volume. My tank consists of mostly SPS, and have noticed 2 of my stags STN'n.... I am worried about more valuable losses. I am running a phosban reactor with phosban media, also carbon sock in sump, great skimming, low nutrients, etc.... I will take your advice, and do some more water changes, seems to always be the best cure-all, lol..... Thanks, again for advice and help.....