PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of switching from Part A and B to Kalkwasser?

Scudd
03/19/2007, 10:17 PM
Any thoughts on this? Right now I add 60ml of the two part solution every morning. Then add my top off water. I'm thinking of switching over to Kalkwasser added to my topoff-water. Some of the things I've read say to dose this very slowly. Like 5 gallons over 48hours kind of thing. I don't have a doser so that's out.
I usually add a gallon or two of top-off water in the morning. Do you think this would harm the tank if I mixed that Kalk with this... Possibly a Ph spike? It's a 92 gallon with a nice mix of LPS and SPS corals.

drummereef
03/19/2007, 10:44 PM
If you haven't read these, take a look first. ;)

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

supervdl
03/19/2007, 10:51 PM
the reason I started with dosing pumps is the spikes in PH and alk from adding the dosing (kalkwasser and 2Part) at once.

jimbo045
03/19/2007, 11:19 PM
I think adding the Kalk. to your top-off is a good idea.

SaltyMember
03/20/2007, 08:06 AM
I switched from a 2 part additive (B-Ionic) to kalk. I still occasionally use the 2 part to make adjustments to alk/cal as needed and maintain it by dripping the kalk. On the B-Ionic instructions it mentions using it in addition to kalk, but it recommends lowing the dose. I believe it recommends 1ml of B-Ionic for every 4 gallons of tank water if using it with kalk.

But I would definitely set it up as a slow kalk drip as opposed to just dumping it in with your topoff water.

tnn1567
03/20/2007, 08:16 AM
Seem like two part solutions take time to put together. I have been dripping kalk for the past 4 yrs and it seem to take care of everything for me such as alk, Ca, pH, and help remove phosphate with the help of the skimmer.

Go for the switch, it has many benefits IMO.

Froggy
03/20/2007, 08:42 AM
Kalk is a good way to add a balanced calcium/alkalinity to the tank. As you said it should be added slowly though as kalk has a very high PH and it will spike your tank water if added too fast. I would not reccomend adding a gallon or two at once as you surely would elevate your tanks PH. It is best to slowly drip the Kalk over night as the tank PH is naturally lower at that time of no photosynthesis. You can easily do this without a doser by using a plastic jug, airline hose and an airline valve to contol the drip rate. Just set the jug higher than the tank or sump, start a syphon and set the drip rate with the valve.

Keep in mind that Kalk alone may not be enough if your calcium/alkalinity demands are higher than your evaporation rate. The amount of kalk added should match your evaporation rate. You may still have to use some 2 part to make up the difference. I used to use Kalk and 2 part but now only use Randy's 2 part solution as it is cheap and easy to make. I plan to automate the addition of the 2 part eventually by purchasing a 2 solution auto doser.

Racenrich
03/20/2007, 08:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9521340#post9521340 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SaltyMember
On the B-Ionic instructions it mentions using it in addition to kalk, but it recommends lowing the dose. I believe it recommends 1ml of B-Ionic for every 4 gallons of tank water if using it with kalk.

In regards to B-Ionic 1 and 2
On my 120g; at 4mls per gallon it would be about 30mls per day of each....my total volume is around 175g.
At 175g: at 4mls per gallon it would require around 45mls per day.

I currently add 120mls per day of 1 & 2!!

Each tank is different...check specs and add accordingly.
I also don't add kalkwasser; I use RO/DI for top off.....around 2g per day. I also just added a GEO 618 CR :D....this will hopefully eliminate my daily additions of B-ionic 1 & 2!

Just an FYI!

Rich K.

flyingphish
03/20/2007, 10:11 AM
i use a litermeter3 dosing pump. it doses your preselected amount of kalk 150X's over a 24 hour period.

the unit can control multiple pumps. My Ca demands have been gaining as my SPS grow. So i added a second pump to add bionic part 2, at the same rate. so far Alk is staying constant with just the kalk...3.5 meq.

its plug and play at its finest. all digital. combine that with a neptune ACjr controller and you have real time data where you can see instant results as far as certain parameteres are concerned.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/155/375232367_bc0d2d3696.jpg

Scudd
03/20/2007, 02:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9522265#post9522265 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyingphish
i use a litermeter3 dosing pump. it doses your preselected amount of kalk 150X's over a 24 hour period.

the unit can control multiple pumps. My Ca demands have been gaining as my SPS grow. So i added a second pump to add bionic part 2, at the same rate. so far Alk is staying constant with just the kalk...3.5 meq.

its plug and play at its finest. all digital. combine that with a neptune ACjr controller and you have real time data where you can see instant results as far as certain parameteres are concerned.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/155/375232367_bc0d2d3696.jpg

How do you keep the kalk from settling in the bottom of the jug?
Is that also your top off watern also?

Scudd
03/20/2007, 06:43 PM
ttt

flyingphish
03/21/2007, 11:16 PM
yes this is my top off and kalk jug. its 5 gallons. i add 5 teaspoons of kalk and shake. it last about two weeks. its airtight, i drilled the breather hole out to accept the tube from the pump.

there is hardly ever any residue on the bottom, just a film on the surface. after its almost empty (the tube does not go to bottom, maybe ill leave 1/4-1/2 gallon and throw that out) ill rinse out the jug, add 5 more gallons of distilled water, add kalk, two more weeks of haasle free reefing. dont even test anymore. always 8.3 ph (controller wont allow pump to dose if ph=8.3 or higher), 3.5 alk, 400 Ca, i do dose Mg and test for it...

easy and fast, but not as fast as this...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/130/406462537_d208f57cc2.jpg

Pez Vela
03/21/2007, 11:39 PM
Hmmmm, When I had a thread exchange with Dr. Randy last, he told me to use his two part system and add the kalk drip in addition. I always thought the Kalk simply helped stablize fluctuations in the pH, Ca & alk? The two part was to keep the levels up. Have I been overdosing for the last two years?

flyingphish
03/22/2007, 12:06 AM
my tank is young and a kal drip is sufficient for now. once it gets going, ill have to go the two part method in addition to kalk top off. Or just use pure RO water for top off and use the two part for Ca and Alk? is it better to do kalk drip and two part?

Pez Vela
03/22/2007, 10:43 AM
Flyingphish: That is what I gathered out of my discussions in the "Reef Chemistry" forum.