PDA

View Full Version : How many current?

CoMMaNdeR
03/20/2007, 12:07 AM
Like I said in my previous threads I am preparing a seahorse aquarium for the first time in my life. long experiance with reefs but none with seahorse.

My simple question is how many flow, Litres / Hour should I do in my 30gallon tank? Right now i made a small pump with 800L/Hr

Is this enough for circulation?

CoMMaNdeR
03/21/2007, 12:00 AM
Can please someone give me some info regarding flow! Do you make powerheads in your seahorse aquariums, if yes how many ?

ann83
03/21/2007, 01:21 AM
If you want a basic rule of thumb, your turnover rate should be between 5-10 x per hour, so for a 30 gallon tank that would be 150 - 300 gallons per hour. But, you can do more turnover if you use spraybars well to disperse the flow. Ultimately, what you need is enough turnover to prevent dead spots and to keep the water flowing over the surfaces and through the rock at a good rate without blowing the seahorses around or making it difficult for them to swim.
I suggest you do some independent reading on seahorses and seahorse systems. You should be able to answer some of your basic questions through reading, and it is also an important background as you can't rely soley on answers you get to specific questions in this forum. As far as internet resources are concerned, the library at seahorse.org is a good place to start. http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles.shtml